YesNoOk

Silent Storm (Permission Was Granted) (Read 143238 times)

Started by DMX, June 17, 2008, 08:22:39 pm
By Silent Storm Edited by Fr33dom87 (Permission Was Granted)
#41  June 18, 2008, 10:03:16 pm
His question Illrelevant and I did respond to it actually in my last post. Because you guys seem to think your still going to be doing this policing non sense. Not with my character or any people base off of my work. So once again anyone who doesn't like that stay out of the post or dont use the character. Thats the end of the story your questions after this point will be ignored. Because a mod said stop drama queening other people said it. Yet you still have people wanting to be forum gossip girls anyway. If they didn't want it or any part of it used shouldn't of put it on the net. For others to like and try and make their own. Like I said I'll ignore anymore annoying repeated questions off topic. Wanna bitch I have a screen name take it to me personally don't bring it here. Because I detest queer forum bitching about ridiculous things.

Side note I'm remaking SS along with the others from his team. He won't look anything like this version at all. And he will be hi-res and i'll borrow code do my own and figure out things. It's about the creation and the expression of art. When you make something its a tribute to mention who inspired and help get to the end. If you borrowed a idea or anything so be it person should be proud. Not bitching and have a following of people bitching like little kids. Emulation of a idea is the ultimate pat on the back. Which is why I'll never be mad at the millions of SS clones. It just means my idea sparked anothers person life to make his own version of my idea. And I clap for those people and say thank you. Not wah wah you took my idea i want it taken down wah wah my code my code. Damn stfu the whole thing is supposed to be fun. Would be fitting a real life former cop be the one to shut down a fake internet policing going on.
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:15:22 pm by SilentStorm
#42  June 18, 2008, 10:12:20 pm
You own Silent Storm in concept and intellectual property.

This is XCB's Fanart. Think of it like this, you are Stan Lee, and you basically tell a kid "Okay, here's a picture of Spiderman someone else drew, you can draw over it" because you are the copywrite holder... of Spiderman.  Not of said piece of art, however.
"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#43  June 18, 2008, 10:17:59 pm
You own Silent Storm in concept and intellectual property.

This is XCB's Fanart. Think of it like this, you are Stan Lee, and you basically tell a kid "Okay, here's a picture of Spiderman someone else drew, you can draw over it" because you are the copywrite holder... of Spiderman.  Not of said piece of art, however.

his art based off of my idea that I didn't mind him remaking. Problem is he has no right to then say hey its mine I don't want you to use it. Also he has ZERO legal basis to do so at all. Especially if he himself shared it to the world. If he didn't want it used he should of not put it on the net end of story. And again didnt I just say the policing is over? And actually he can say to do that because he owns the likeness anyway. It can be his own or anyone elses HE OWNS it! You guys really need to look up rights of ownership and the net. You would all shut up real fast on this. First rule in that is if you upload any thought image idea or belief to the net. It becomes valid to the world to be discussed viewed or used with in any means. If you wish this idea to be protected said topic must be copywritten. If topic is not you hold no legal bearing to the use but also share no responsibility.

Meaning you upload it its no longer your right what happens to it after its freely distributed. So if you don't want that to happen don't put it on the net. And make sure you can trust others. If it gets out too bad for you but dont bitch either because you put it there. And offically XCB fanart is based off mine where did he get the idea to run a red Gi black guy around with storm powers. Um me someone took his version of my SS and made another better SS. The idea evolved and got better its called evolution and having fun. If people thought like my code my code all the time man kind never get anywhere in life.
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:26:51 pm by SilentStorm
#44  June 18, 2008, 10:19:44 pm
I'm not policing, I'm just saying your idology that "Even if he made fanart I own it" concept is retarded, real copywrite holders don't do that stuff.  Also, can you tell me what Copywrite number and such it is, so I can see for myself? :) 

Also, he didn't share it, it got leaked, but that's another can of worms.
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#45  June 18, 2008, 10:23:02 pm
  • DAT SAX
* ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~ jumps in

lol sup gaiz

So...

1. XCB makes the original Tetsu from the ground up (rips sprites, codes him, etc)
2. You edit his Tetsu into the original Silent Storm (or did you say you used only the sprites? Was it the code and the sprites or just the sprites alone?)
3. XCB is like "woeh dats cool" and does his own version of SS
4. You give permission for anyone to edit and/or distribute (correct me if I'm wrong) the original SS

Points 2 and 4 are where the problem lies, apparently, because shouldn't XCB have some say in this because he made the original base character? (not like he's going to come back to MFG anyway)  >.> ...

Why has this evolved into a question of copyrights rather than a matter of respecting the original creator? What do copyrighting the sprites have to do with anything? It shouldn't matter unless someone's trying to sell them. :S

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:26:53 pm by ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~
#46  June 18, 2008, 10:27:24 pm
You've got a few points wrong:
1. Eli made this Storm and Tetsu
2. Storm made the original versions of Silent Storm way back when
3. See point one
4. I think so..  but that doesn't cover Eli's Storm.
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#47  June 18, 2008, 10:29:45 pm
  • My college nickname was bi pod
The sad part is that more likely XCB doesn't give a shit about this or he doesn't even know and everybody is making a big drama on his behalf. :sadgoi:
Welcome to Alu's world !! :D

#48  June 18, 2008, 10:30:33 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
* ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~ jumps in
1. SS makes the original SS from the ground up (rips sprites, codes him, etc)
2. XCB makes his own version of SS from the ground up as a sort of parody/fanart
3. XCB is like "cant find him, change name to TETSU"
Mild correction. And Robert, your example isnt very good, companies do exactly that of using work based on their IPS, Marvel gave capcom things done by other artists to trace ( joe mad spiderman portrait on marvel super heroes for instance)  , capcom turned Streetfighter rainbow and used from it what they found good.

What everyone is forgetting is that no matter what SS gives permission or not, in the guild, permissions arent a issue.
I dont know if SS thinks he is eli spokesperson or something to tell who can or can not use what with others permission, but that, the permission thing, is a non issue on the guild as long as not blatantly rude "ex: ahah I edited your character to have a penis for a face!" or " I release your character with another pallete just to spite you! ALL CREDITS TO MEEEEE! did it from the ground up!"

now kindly cut with the drama? Please?
We all know this is a non issue, if anyone want to know if SS thinks he is entitled to whatever, contact him personally.
#49  June 18, 2008, 10:30:43 pm
  • DAT SAX
So it would go...

2. XCB edits his Tetsu into the original Silent Storm
3. Silent Storm is like "woeh dats cool" and does his own version of SS (still in confusing over whether he used just sprites or codes as well)

EDIT: AAAHHH I'M CONFUSED. Rob and Iced are saying completely opposite things. @_@ Who's right? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAG-*shot*

EDIT2: So let me get this straight. Silent Storm was the first person to do ANYTHING (Mugen related - so i don't get attacked by literalists) with the guy from Kakuge Yaro's sprites, and then XCB edits THAT into a parody SS, and then is like "fuck it", swaps the palette, changes some stuff around, and calls him Tetsu??

My MUGEN shit:
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:34:18 pm by ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~
#50  June 18, 2008, 10:33:18 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
It doesn't matter because SS sucks anyway.
#51  June 18, 2008, 10:33:32 pm
Storm made Storm before Eli, Eli was like "woeh dats cool" and makes his own version.  This is Eli's version.
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT
#52  June 18, 2008, 10:34:57 pm
  • DAT SAX
oh ok

My MUGEN shit:
#53  June 18, 2008, 10:35:19 pm
And I'm saying is none of it matters enjoy the character end of story. And again like I said if he didn't want it (leaked) shouldn't of made it to begin with. I don't recall him EVER asking me to redo the idea over anyway. So it really doesn't matter who redoes SS. I'm not telling people to run around stealing ideas. I'm saying if you do make something based off something else. Long as you say so in a faq and say my idea was inspired off this. Then its all good and no one should be all fussy. I look at it as tribute flattery fan art and evolution of the idea. Although I won't be using this version anymore as the template. I'm glad it touched so many to spawn so many remakes. Just enjoy them and stop making it such a big deal its really not.
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:56:48 pm by SilentStorm
#54  June 18, 2008, 11:03:09 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Um, Stormy? You're missing the point. Again.

It's your idea, you're (silly, run into the ground) concept. We got that already. He never released any version of Storm publicly because he couldn't even reach you for the permission you keep harping about.

The point instead is you telling someone it's okay to use someone else's material that you didn't make. Especially given the base material is still easily recognizable as Tetsu, which last I checked didn't call himself Storm, makes a big point not to call him Storm, and if he is black is officially the palest fellow ever.

The sad part is that more likely XCB doesn't give a shit about this or he doesn't even know and everybody is making a big drama on his behalf. :sadgoi:

Check the topic in #rs, Al.
#55  June 18, 2008, 11:17:03 pm
  • DAT SAX
Oh, I get what KFM is saying now. Yeah, he's right.

You're telling someone it's OK to distribute a character that has nothing to do with you other than an idea and a skin tone. In other words, you didn't code the SS this one was based off of, XCB did. This isn't YOUR Silent Storm (please don't bring up your idea/concept/black superhero thing again, we get it), it's the one XCB made.

XCB should be the only one here giving permission, as the one who did the raw coding is the issue.

EDIT: Ok, I realized that someone might come back with "I don't care about permission, who cares, just play" or something of that nature. Due to Guild's new rules, that's all well and good, but just don't give permission for something that's not yours.

Example: You have a bike, and you get an idea that you're going to put a yellow lightning sticker on it. Your friend John has the same bike, and puts 2 blue lightning stickers on his, because he thought your idea was cool. Now John's friend borrows John's bike, puts a flame sticker on it, and wants to sell (I'M NOT RELATING THE WORD "SELL" TO MUGEN) this design of the bike. You can't give permission to John's friend to sell it just because it was inspired from yours, because it's not your bike. It's John's bike. He did the work of putting the blue stickers on.

Bike = Original guy's sprites from Kakuge Yaro
Idea of putting the stickers on = Your idea of the black superhero
Yellow sticker = Your original code
Blue stickers = XCB's code (he didn't edit yours IIRC)
Flame sticker = Fr33dom87's edits of XCB's code

Sorry for the tl;dr.

EDIT: Oh lawd...I just realized this is going to break into an ethics debate.  :pwnonk:

My MUGEN shit:
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:37:11 pm by ~*Ishida-Uryuu*~
#56  June 18, 2008, 11:27:04 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
code and concept are two completely different things ss
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#57  June 18, 2008, 11:43:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:50:02 pm by Satou Sei
#58  June 18, 2008, 11:52:58 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
#59  June 18, 2008, 11:56:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
there is also the gpl and lgpl licences too, which most people love to ignore, and basically states that if you take anything open soruce your work automatically becomes open source.
#60  June 19, 2008, 12:02:23 am
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
yes but what if you coded from the ground up, no opensource used