YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Last Jedi (till later movies) (Read 152708 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Last Jedi (till later movies)
#341  January 24, 2017, 10:26:31 pm
The good vs evil was always part of the iconic status of the original trilogy but it was also one of the things that never made sense (it does inside the movies, but not the minute you look outside of their limits). If Disney wants to build on this universe, like everyone else from the extended universe, they have to completely revamp that aspect, it just doesn't work if you want a world built around it. It's just that any new approach to the concept is a massive risk of simply making the original trilogy look like a bunch of fools. All I know of it is what they're doing on Star Wars Rebels (I have seen neither Clone Wars nor any of the extended universe stuff, books or comics or anything), and they're taking their sweet time easing us into this concept.
There's a slight hope that they'll pull something believable while not making the Jedi and Sith of the original trilogy look like idiots, everyone on the Net has been talking about how Luke was definitely searching for the "original temples" giving the original explanation to what the Force is and how to properly use it without falling into either extreme. If Luke is the one to tell us about it and show his own growth through it, it just might work.
Plus, the extended universe fans are already familiar with the concept of the grey Jedi.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:31:02 pm by Byakko
#342  January 25, 2017, 01:20:18 am
  • I'll eat you.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The prequels (maybe? who can tell with those pieces of shit) added, or at least, attempted to add an interesting layer of complexity to the Jedi: whereas the original trilogy spoke of the Jedi as incorruptible and always noble, the prequels showed them to be an overly bureaucratic, mostly useless and vestigial remnant of what was perhaps a once great order. I know a popular theory is that Anakin actually did balance the Force by helping destroy the Jedi, but I don't think the movies really support that argument; one never got the sense that the Light and Dark sides of the Force were in any way equivalent, or that there needed to be any sort balancing between the child-murdering Sith and the peace-loving Jedi. It definitely seems like the intent of those movies was to show that the Jedi order failed in its duties, however, and were indirectly responsible for their downfall.

That would be a pretty cool and interesting tack to pick up in the new movies; Luke was trained by the last vestiges of the old Jedi order, and the same flaws they had repeated in Luke's brief revival of the Jedi. It's easy to imagine a basic plot where it's revealed Luke has been researching the origins of the Jedi and learns about the most ancient practices and shit (or maybe he just reforms the whole Jedi philosophy/teaching style himself), and he trains Rey in this reformed style, and together they go on to train others.

Luke gets to be the Last Jedi, while Rey and the future generation are something else. Something better.
#343  April 14, 2017, 06:28:39 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
    • Skype - ultima138

1st trailer for Last Jedi.
#344  April 15, 2017, 05:54:29 am
  • I'll eat you.
    • USA
#345  April 15, 2017, 07:24:19 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?

Rebels Season 4 Trailer, GET HYPE!!

I remember when Rebels 1st came out and I was not interested in it. Then I saw Vader was on it and decided to give it a try. I came for the Sith Lord but stayed for the Rebels.
#346  June 21, 2017, 04:26:23 am
  • I'll eat you.
    • USA
#347  September 07, 2017, 08:30:34 am
  • I'll eat you.
    • USA
#348  September 12, 2017, 06:00:18 pm
#349  September 12, 2017, 06:08:38 pm
  • If you ask me again, I'll tell you the same.
    • USA

I remember when J.J. Abrams was supposed to be the new Spielberg and somehow he's just become the safe choice to make when you need a director to bring your genre reboot in on schedule
Now listen all you boys and girls,
All around the world,
Don't be afraid to get up and move!
You know that we're all Super Stars,
We're the ones that made it this far!
Put a smile on that face,
There's no time to waste,
Oh, let's do The Odyssey!
#350  September 13, 2017, 01:47:38 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
So, Return of Another Jedi? Hard to feel confident when Abrams will be co-writing this with BvS' writer.
Suddenly, bow-wow-wow~. :3
#351  September 13, 2017, 02:21:36 am
  • 2 edjy 4 u
  • spriting drains the soul
    • USA

jj is the new lucas of star wars i see

og trilogy had lucas, that other dude who directed empire strikes back, and then lucas again

this time around it will be jj,johnson,jj

hopefully it ends on a more original note
#352  September 13, 2017, 02:39:29 am
#353  September 14, 2017, 01:11:21 am
  • I'll eat you.
    • USA
So, Return of Another Jedi? Hard to feel confident when Abrams will be co-writing this with BvS' writer.
Well, Terrio also wrote Argo, so don't get too down. Co-writing something Zack Snyder is bound to bring anyone down!
#354  September 14, 2017, 01:20:31 am
If he just stays away from anyone named Martha, it'll be okay, right ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.