YesNoOk

SvC Chaos Screenpack Clean-up (Read 5910 times)

Started by Diva, September 20, 2011, 05:56:50 am
Share this topic:
SvC Chaos Screenpack Clean-up
#1  September 20, 2011, 05:56:50 am
  • Annie
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=132868.0

I really liked this screenpack, which was evidently made for 640:480 resolution. Unfortunately it did NOT seem to be made for 4:3 resolution in general, with distracting transparency lines showing up when I used 960x720. Also, the font used for the character select screen was incapable of displaying 0's, which meant that having more than 10 selectable stages gave you stages 1-19 -> 2-29, etc.

What this upload contains:

*Clean-ups of the stages from this screenpack, except for "heaven" (didn't need it), "hell" (no explicit transparency errors, and the minor clipping errors weren't worth fixing), and "PGen" (also didn't need it). Most of them were simple corrections, but Crystal World... UGH. I checked and the transparency marks should be gone in 1280x720 as well.
My coding was messy and much of the work was done by internally duping BG images, so the stage files are bigger. But it's a pretty lightweight screenpack, so it shouldn't cause problems unless you you move them to a SP that's already taxing your computer. Hell, I have 4-year-old on-board laptop graphics and can still run this w/o issue.

*system.def file, adjusted to use the 'jg' font for the Char Select screen and still vaguely maintain the 'feel' of the previous text. As a bonus, character names containing 0's or even special characters will now display properly. Minor adjustments to the layout, to work with default-sized "Big Portraits" in 4:3 Mugen.

*select.def file with suitable roster-placement and renamed Stage entries to match the renamed files. Mostly just included for drag-and-drop convenience, but it would also be kind of aggravating of me to change the portrait placement without arranging the character-slots accordingly.

Hah, there's a little purple spot I missed right there in the middle of the demonstrating screenshot. And about 3 or 4 'seams'.
Seriously, these files were a mess.

Download

Not claiming this to be perfectly-done. Some of the stages are very insistent on keeping clipping errors, and you can tell from some of the pixels that this looks shopped. I just wanted the screenpack to be usable at higher resolution without seeing purple lines everywhere. =)
Keeps your enemies close, and your friends closer.
That way, your enemies remain within your attack range, while your friends still provide a proper meat shield.
Re: SvC Chaos Screenpack Clean-up
#2  September 21, 2011, 12:11:41 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Sounds like you made some interesting fixes. In Mugen, you're either an art guy or a programmer guy.... Looks like you're the art guy!! LOL

I'm reading this at work. You mentioned stage fixes, so does this mean that all of SvC's stages are included with this SP??
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
Re: SvC Chaos Screenpack Clean-up
#3  September 21, 2011, 06:28:16 pm
  • Annie
Sounds like you made some interesting fixes. In Mugen, you're either an art guy or a programmer guy.... Looks like you're the art guy!! LOL

Probably, yea, haha.

I'm reading this at work. You mentioned stage fixes, so does this mean that all of SvC's stages are included with this SP??

1) WTF get back to work, unless you're on lunch break. ;)
2) The screenpack itself is in the link at the top. The stages in the download I provided are just tweaked versions of the stages in that screenpack, without the ugly tearing the original files displayed when you upped your Mugen resolution to 960x720 (or 1280x720). I only played SvC Chaos a few times in an arcade myself, so if the screenpack itself is missing any stages from the original game, I wouldn't know. 3 stages from the actual SP are 'missing' from my upload, since 2 of them were fine and the 3rd was a pointless hassle.
Keeps your enemies close, and your friends closer.
That way, your enemies remain within your attack range, while your friends still provide a proper meat shield.