YesNoOk

Ad fly (Read 50462 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
Share this topic:
Ad fly
#1  June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
So I want to bring this up here and see where we all stand. We all know and understand the risks of adfly. But now that we blacklisted ma it seems all kinds of ppl use it. O Illusionista, Chuchoryu, MMV and who knows how many others.

I'm to the point where I want to just get rid of this rule and let the sites do what they want. It's starting to feel like we are policing again. And I think it's stirring up more than it should.

Discuss
Re: Ad fly
#2  June 24, 2016, 05:50:16 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
making money off others peoples work in mugen is bad. stick with this rule.
#3  June 24, 2016, 05:51:32 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I have a project wonderful ad so in a way even I make money! :p
New #4  June 24, 2016, 06:04:42 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Shouldn't this ultimately cover other ad referral sites like this (as we find them)?

I just know ad fly is probably the most well known and infected one (I know [postmortem Gill edit; I might want to remove that] is basically another URL for ad fly)
Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:10:44 pm by Orochi Gill
#5  June 24, 2016, 06:11:02 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
these are my personal thoughts on it.

Dont monetize other peoples work or we wont link to you ( Ie adfly on content you didnt make of active users that are around)
avoid using adfly all together its a dangerous browser hijacker that might fuck your system .
dont post adfly or other money making scheme type links at all on guild.

I understand hosting costs money for most people and so I dont expect them to be able to host old files of gone people for nothing, I would still prefer if they use adsense instead of something as shitty as adfly.

I dont really care if a creator is using adfly on their own stuff on their own site, they are fucking their fans and they had a fair warning of it, so they know what they are doing, even if they are also hosting content from bygone creators.  So I dont feel that strongly about banning those that do it on their own site for their own crap or stuff of people that isnt around.

There is a morally wrong area when you start charging adfly , which is already dangerous, for material of other people, who obviously have the safe hosting that doesnt need adfly to run. Its like charging money for  a plate for a steak you removed from its original plate. Its nonsensical.

I dont like black listing anything, but I dont feel comfortable with letting things go that far.
#6  June 24, 2016, 06:13:10 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Mugen Archive specifically is hosting other people's content without their permission while also hiding it behind dangerous, virus infested ads. It's the combination of both things that puts it over the line; I agree that we should be careful and try to avoid policing the community but there are still some things that are beyond the pale.
#7  June 24, 2016, 06:35:15 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
There's no point (ugh) in backing off. We are right on principle. Our userbase isn't against this move. The minor inconveniences this decision caused are ephemeral.
#8  June 24, 2016, 11:13:15 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Do we go full ban on any site? Or do we only do it for warehouse + adfly? It just feels like it's a slippery slope to me and the lines can blur. Like, what if there are edits on the site? That's not completely someone else's work.

And if we go full ban on any site with it that links here we have to filter mmv, o Illusionista, and chuchoryu' sites. Among a plethora of others probably. And that just kinda feels wrong.
#9  June 24, 2016, 03:25:39 pm
    • Thailand
Filter any site that uses ad links to link to stuff that isn't theirs. People can click ad links at their own risk, like anywhere else on the internet.

At most, require a spoiler with a warning message for people who use ad links to link to their own work.
Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:32:27 pm by Palette Jesus
#10  June 24, 2016, 08:06:32 pm
    • USA
Do we go full ban on any site? Or do we only do it for warehouse + adfly? It just feels like it's a slippery slope to me and the lines can blur. Like, what if there are edits on the site? That's not completely someone else's work.
Only for warehouses.

We don't really need to try and think about hypotheticals now, because MA is the only place that's of any concern right now. But if there was a situation where a warehouse had original or edited content on it, in addition to the usual warehoused stuff, it still shouldn't change anything. The site should still be banned.
#11  June 25, 2016, 02:44:21 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Alright. I guess it's simple enough for us to squabble amongst ourselves if something is questionable enough to determine if it'd be a full on warehouse.

Should we enforce the spoiler with warning idea Rajaa suggested for non warehouse links? I kinda liked that idea.
#12  June 25, 2016, 02:46:08 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Yeah I think it's one worth going for. A warning if they don't mention it and a mod edit to add the spoiler if they don't put it on themselves.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#13  June 25, 2016, 03:55:35 am
    • USA
That sounds fine.
#14  June 25, 2016, 02:49:50 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
how would that work? moderator inserts a warning in spoiler in the post stating "adfly has been known for delivering adware in the past andmight infect your system use caution when using it" ?

I dont think a warning on it should be punishable when disregarded, i cant imagine chuchoryu even understanding what we are talking about, the guy is like 12 and pretends to be a pit fighter in real life as if that was believable.
#15  June 26, 2016, 01:05:25 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It doesn't have to be a serious offense to not do it. Just ask the user and add it yourself. PPL can report it so we can edit the link.
Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#16  October 02, 2016, 02:05:36 am
  • Why do the avatars have to be so damn small :c
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
You can't link to that website because the download link has adfly. I'd rather not get viruses on my computer.
Re: Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#17  October 02, 2016, 02:42:00 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
No, I can link it. Its on my own website. What I can't do is to post an AD REFERRALS ARE FORBIDDEN link here.
You can ask Iced about this if you want, I am just following his instructions.

Just click on the link at the top right. Any download which appear before this you can ignore.
#18  October 02, 2016, 03:32:35 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
#19  October 02, 2016, 03:39:11 am
  • Why do the avatars have to be so damn small :c
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:53:58 am by BrawlTheMan
#20  October 02, 2016, 04:22:28 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
I have some really negative feedback on this one. Her special attacks seem to leave her open for way too long, in fact, her grenade toss seems to take long to do everything, it takes long for her to juggle, then throw, then bounce, then explode, her hypers also seem to have inconsistent damage, as some have way more damage than others, and her AI is really weak in comparison to any Spec Ops character and has some weird interactions, as it sometimes it will keep juggling the grenade for even longer and during that intro where she uses Bison's cape and her hair changes colors, she will start attacking before the round begins.

About her AI, I stated at the first topic that she doesn't have a decent AI yet, just a basic one.
About the other points, I will take a look, thanks.

You can't link to that website because the download link has adfly. I'd rather not get viruses on my computer.

There's sites that can bypass it, just sayin'

So there's no problem with using Mugen Archive then? What happened to "Adfly causes viruses" and all that? Isn't this still putting people at risk?

Mugen Archive is a different thing. They host material that weren't made by them and earn from it. Mine is a different case. And I've been using this for 4 or 5 years and nobody bothered me with that.