Ad fly (Read 50451 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
Share this topic:
Re: Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#21  October 02, 2016, 04:25:59 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
While I personally dislike it on principle, the staff's consensus was that that using adfly is ok as long as it's on one's own works and the release includes a proper warning (which I'll add right now).
#22  October 02, 2016, 04:28:02 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
So even if its on my own site, with no automatic redirection (you have to click on it)...we still need to have a warning?
That is odd.

According to the staff words, its ok: http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2293189

Edit: oh cool. Which such "cute" warning nobody will click to see the character. Well played...
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:40:26 am by O Ilusionista
#23  October 02, 2016, 04:43:21 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It really should have a warning to let people know the site has adfly links. We argued about this back and forth a lot in private. We even have the rules updated in private to reflect this but like most things I haven't finished them so they're still sitting there waiting. It would have really prevented this whole issue had I finished them a few months back and posted them after we finally reached our decision.

So technically for now there is no rule that covers this but you should get accustomed to adding adfly warnings. I apologize for not being a more prompt admin. I've been letting my coding take up too much of my time and not devoting it to finishing many things on the forum as I should.

With that said Congrats on another release :)
#24  October 02, 2016, 04:46:48 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
It really should have a warning to let people know the site has adfly links.
Ok, but can we at least change that warning to something whic sound less, how can I saw, a Doom warning? The way it is sounds like something will explod with the user click on it and this will lower A LOT the chance of people to get the character. Since this won't make much sense to me, I think I will do prefer to simply remove the post itself.

With that said Congrats on another release
Thanks buddy.
#25  October 02, 2016, 04:50:26 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll send you a PM so we won't keep messing up your thread.
Re: Ad fly
#26  October 02, 2016, 04:57:25 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
We should move this thread to feedback considering there's public interest on the subject again.
#27  October 02, 2016, 05:01:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Done
#28  October 02, 2016, 05:10:26 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Did I miss something, what public interest?
#29  October 02, 2016, 05:13:09 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
O Illusionista released a new character. He uses adfly. Small discussion about this in reports thread.
#30  October 02, 2016, 05:13:59 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I consider it of 'public interest' if half of the posts in one release thread are about the subject and not the release.
#31  October 02, 2016, 05:18:57 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Guys, I really don't want to bring any issue or cause any harm to anybody here. I can even remove the topic if this is a problem.
I  just would not like to see my site blacklisted. I know its your house and your rules, but I just think this could be a tad too much, like using a cannon to hit the head of an ant (as we say here).

My case is very different than the other options listed above, since the adf link is places at my own site, not here directly.

Again, I don't want to cause any harm here and this had desmotivated me a lot, so I apologize.

Thanks.
#32  October 02, 2016, 05:34:28 am
My case is very different than the other options listed above, since the adf link is places at my own site, not here directly.
this doesn't really make a difference, it just means the user has to make more clicks to get to the ad fly link.

there was a huge multipage argument against mugen archive and the main reason against the site was that it had adf links all over the place. there were several posts with evidence that the site was spreading malware, even users from this forum saying they got crippling malware from adf years ago. you can google and find plenty of people talking about the malware it spreads

which is why i don't understand why there's this gray area to allow adf links when it seems pretty clear to me that adf is risky
#33  October 02, 2016, 05:40:29 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Guys, I really don't want to bring any issue or cause any harm to anybody here. I can even remove the topic if this is a problem.
I  just would not like to see my site blacklisted. I know its your house and your rules, but I just think this could be a tad too much, like using a cannon to hit the head of an ant (as we say here).

Again, I don't want to cause any harm here and this had desmotivated me a lot, so I apologize.

Thanks.
I'd prefer if you kept posting your releases on this forum, because you're a long standing and well know member of our community, but our users at the very least deserve to know there's a chance (however small) their pcs will get infected with adware/trojans/cryptoware.

But if you don't like my cigarette package warnings, that's fine too.
#34  October 02, 2016, 05:44:35 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
this doesn't really make a difference, it just means the user has to make more clicks to get to the ad fly link.

there was a huge multipage argument against mugen archive and the main reason against the site was that it had adf links all over the place. there were several posts with evidence that the site was spreading malware, even users from this forum saying they got crippling malware from adf years ago. you can google and find plenty of people talking about the malware it spreads

which is why i don't understand why there's this gray area to allow adf links when it seems pretty clear to me that adf is risky

I understand your point. But, in the other hand, this is a case that is beyond the jurisdiction of this site, because it is in another site and there is not automatic redirection (something which would make me agree with you, which is kinda rare).

But, again, I don't want to bring any trouble.

Thanks.
I'd prefer if you kept posting your releases on this forum, because you're a long standing and well know member of our community, but our users at the very least deserve to know there's a chance (however small) their pcs will get infected with adware/trojans/cryptoware.

Thanks for the consideration. I understand your point and even agree with you. I just think this warning could be made in my page, not here. Using the cigarette as an example, is like to post a warning about it on someone's house door instead of the package. Got it?

I just feel bad for bringing such discussion again to the table.
I really, really like this analogy
#35  October 02, 2016, 05:51:44 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

Thanks for the consideration. I understand your point and even agree with you. I just think this warning could be made in my page, not here. Using the cigarette as an example, is like to post a warning about it on someone's house door instead of the package. Got it?
...not really, no. In the cigarette analogy the forum warning is actually more akin to the (mandatory) public warnings tobacco ads in radio and tv spots have at the end. An actual package warning would be adfly itself warning the user before redirecting him, which they of course would never do. Having the warning on your site is more like selling unmarked packages but having the store clerk tell you smoking causes emphysema and lung cancer.
#36  October 02, 2016, 05:59:18 am
But, in the other hand, this is a case that is beyond the jurisdiction of this site, because it is in another site and there is not automatic redirection
this isn't any different from mugen archive. nobody from mugen archive came here to post direct adf links. the issue was that their site was using adf links, which makes it no different from yours in that regard
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:02:54 am by Titiln
#37  October 02, 2016, 06:05:57 am
    • USA
I would expect any mugen creator who uses Patreon and other crowdfunding methods to never have to rely on extra stuff like adfly to get some extra pocket change. IDK why people even bother with adfly to begin with, it doesn't give you enough money to be relevant and putting your userbase through the risk of getting their PC infected to download your stuff is honestly a dick move.
#38  October 02, 2016, 08:30:07 am
  • Why do the avatars have to be so damn small :c
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
The point of the whole Mugen Archive debacle was not because they were making money off of other people's work, or that they were dicks about it (they were, but neither of those things were the ultimate goal). What was the ultimate goal was that adfly caused malware, and put users at risk. It's hypocritical to crucify one site that gives people viruses, then give a free pass to another site that gives people viruses just because they make stuff you like.

Either Adfly is a good thing, or it's a bad thing. There is no middle ground in this issue.
#39  October 02, 2016, 10:52:57 am
Can someone re-upload it, maybe to mediafire? I can't download files from the ad site (because I forced adblock not to, for security reasons).
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:18:43 pm by AlexSin
#40  October 02, 2016, 02:45:14 pm
    • Germany
I would expect any mugen creator who uses Patreon and other crowdfunding methods to never have to rely on extra stuff like adfly to get some extra pocket change. IDK why people even bother with adfly to begin with, it doesn't give you enough money to be relevant and putting your userbase through the risk of getting their PC infected to download your stuff is honestly a dick move.

I checked O Ilusionista's Patreon, and right now he only gets 47$ per Month, that you have a Patreon doesn't mean that you automatically get showered with Money, so I can understand why he is relying on extra stuff.
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:48:52 pm by Lichtbringer