Started by JustNoPoint, June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
Share this topic:
Re: Ad fly
#41  October 02, 2016, 03:43:46 pm

ExL

#42  October 02, 2016, 03:49:49 pm
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
O Ilusionista isn't showering with money, that's for sure, it's the opposite. Would've donated him if I had something to fill own pockets, sadly I'm not. It's bad manners to count money in other's pockets, but the point is - there different situations where person forced to something that should be avoided otherwise. Not that adfly is a crime or adfly=infected PC, even mediafire isn't that safe anymore. I know Ilu for a long time, if he could rid of adfly he'd did it instantly, he means no harm to anyone. We all want ourselves and our family members to be alive, not starving and have proper medicine...
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#43  October 02, 2016, 04:19:29 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
It's probably worth mentioning that back when Oak the Shadow Dragon or whatever shoved referrals on his stuff (that was behind a bunch of other things) he was also told to remove them, like Blade Art was.

Ilu as much as I like you, ad referrals like that are an easy target for malware injections. I'm less worried about the money; in this case it's your own (and more original) content.
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:42:58 pm by Orochi Gill
Re: Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#44  October 02, 2016, 06:27:08 pm
The adfly link is not working for me. It just redirects back to adfly. Direct link please.
#45  October 02, 2016, 06:28:36 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
#46  October 02, 2016, 06:33:13 pm
#47  October 02, 2016, 08:05:51 pm
    • USA
I checked O Ilusionista's Patreon, and right now he only gets 47$ per Month, that you have a Patreon doesn't mean that you automatically get showered with Money, so I can understand why he is relying on extra stuff.

That's $47 more than most of the mugen creators ever get in donations and even if he only earned $5 a month it's still pretty crappy to see someone using both patreon AND adfly rather than look for better and more user-friendly alternatives.

Not that adfly is a crime or adfly=infected PC, even mediafire isn't that safe anymore. I know Ilu for a long time, if he could rid of adfly he'd did it instantly, he means no harm to anyone. We all want ourselves and our family members to be alive, not starving and have proper medicine...

Goggle "is mediafire dangerous?" = Results: 1 person asking if it's safe (Internet newbie) and another thread from 2010 where a guy trying to make the site look dangerous gets shot down fast. The rest of the results are largely irrelevant.

Google "is adfly dangerous?" = Results: They speak by themselves.

The cents gained from adfly aren't worth the trouble you're putting your userbase behind.
#48  October 02, 2016, 11:31:43 pm
  • Why do the avatars have to be so damn small :c
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
Maybe the service he uses prevents him from removing adfly? I know some websites have services like that.
#49  October 02, 2016, 11:44:11 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Wait, there's seriously hosting sites that automatically add adfly and prevent removal? What the fuck?
#50  October 02, 2016, 11:50:51 pm
    • USA
Maybe the service he uses prevents him from removing adfly? I know some websites have services like that.

Yeah, because using a much better service that does not force you to use adfly is not an option here, right? Come on...
#51  October 03, 2016, 12:03:32 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#52  October 03, 2016, 12:39:36 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Oh good

For a second there I thought it was. :uhoh:
#53  October 03, 2016, 07:32:00 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar
Hello everybody.
The only reason because use that ad.fly is: that gives ya money. I dunno if that automatically stick in the site and file links.

#54  October 03, 2016, 01:54:54 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The fact that this is being discussed tells me you might as well lift the ban on MA. Haven't you guys been shutting down referrals and similar stuff before? The moment someone we like does the same and suddenly "Hold up, we should reconsider this."

The point of the whole Mugen Archive debacle was not because they were making money off of other people's work, or that they were dicks about it (they were, but neither of those things were the ultimate goal). What was the ultimate goal was that adfly caused malware, and put users at risk. It's hypocritical to crucify one site that gives people viruses, then give a free pass to another site that gives people viruses just because they make stuff you like.

Either Adfly is a good thing, or it's a bad thing. There is no middle ground in this issue.

This. I'm sorry about Ilu, but he should be subject to the same rules as everyone else. Either it's blacklisted until the adfly is gone or Mugen Archive should be allowed to be linked here again.
#55  October 03, 2016, 02:17:41 pm
The moment someone we like does the same and suddenly "Hold up, we should reconsider this."
No one (in the staff) said we should reconsider this. Everyone's trying to convince Ilu to abandon it, and the outcome is quite clear if he doesn't.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#56  October 03, 2016, 03:32:57 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I dunno, seemed that way to me.
#57  October 03, 2016, 05:53:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in a practical way, what would the difference be between using adfly and the next second best alternative (ad revenue wise) ? 5 usd less per month for using ad sense or whichever it the other alternative ?
#58  October 03, 2016, 05:54:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#59  October 03, 2016, 05:57:56 pm
Guys, I really don't want to bring any issue or cause any harm to anybody here. I can even remove the topic if this is a problem.
I  just would not like to see my site blacklisted. I know its your house and your rules, but I just think this could be a tad too much, like using a cannon to hit the head of an ant (as we say here).

My case is very different than the other options listed above, since the adf link is places at my own site, not here directly.

Again, I don't want to cause any harm here and this had desmotivated me a lot, so I apologize.

Thanks.

Adfly is harmful to people's computers. I've enjoyed your work since I got into mugen, but not enough to repeatedly expose my computer to malware. You should look into different ways to monetize your content. How much does adfly make you? If it's low enough, I'd just pay you to remove it from your site myself.
#60  October 03, 2016, 07:25:29 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org