YesNoOk

Last movie you watched + 2 lines review. (Read 1010823 times)

Started by walt, August 28, 2007, 04:18:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last movie you watched + 2 lines review.
#5061  December 23, 2017, 03:34:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I also saw The Last Jedi last week and I liked it a lot, at first.

And then I thought about it some more. And I kept thinking about it. I kept thinking about it the way I only rarely do with the art I consume (the most recent things from the last 3 or so months that made me feel the same way were Twin Peaks: The Return and Blade Runner 2049).

And now... I just straight up love it. It's so goddamn smart, and I love the bold choices it made in its storytelling.
#5062  December 23, 2017, 05:48:21 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I just got back from seeing it and I have to strongly agree. There are definite statements made about predetermination in this movie that fly in the face of almost two decades of Star Wars (yeah, including that last one that everybody thought changed the mold so much) and I can very much see how that has some people up in arms. But a story shouldn't fit into a perfect formula, it must be allowed to do things that people may not necessarily like. That's the only way it's going to stick with you rather than be a piece of cotton candy that you can't even remember the taste of the next day.

Although can we please try to do new things in terms of editing a film down please, this movie did not need to be so long
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Movie Opinions
#5063  January 29, 2018, 04:10:07 am
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA

post your movie opinions

i'll start:
i think i love shrek when i was a child, the characters were good, the writing was great, the animation was perfect, the music it's awesome, and the voice acting was gud 8/8,

i'll give a 10/10 for this movie and also for the sequel of course. :thumbsup:
#5064  January 31, 2018, 06:58:31 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Jigsaw

I was a die hard fan of the series when I was a teen, so when I heard there was gonna be a newer one that is still in the main timeline of the series (as in not a reboot), I was quite excited. Of course since I grew up I'm not as much of a die hard fan anymore but I still love the police investigation plot, along with the character relations and stuff, and the plot twists that served some pretty interesting endings and the Jigsaw philosophy of them.

Did I get all of that in this movie? Yes I did, is it the best of the series? Not really but I wasn't expecting that, first one is still the best but in all honesty I thought this was a good entry in the series and I wasn't having high expectations or anything. The main game was interesting and it had an aspect about it that I really liked and hadn't been done before in the previous movies (not the gore, but the way it's "orchestrated" lets put it that way).

Now to avoid spoilers about the plot twist, I'll say that I did really like one part of it, and then other things happened kinda felt a little too convinient even for Saw. Another thing I'd like to say is if you like the series like I do and you haven't seen this entry yet, if you expect numerous references of throwbacks to the previous movies you're likely gonna be dissapointed because this is more or less its own movie, just in the same timeline that is all.

Maybe I'm overselling the movie but it was actually decent imho. The movie itself isn't too different from the previous ones, the most difference is the cinematography which looks way better than all the other ones.

7/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#5065  February 09, 2018, 12:40:35 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

The Shape of Water

The good
+ Every scene looks gorgeous, but that's par for a del Toro movie. He does some amazing shit when working with water.
+ Sally Hawkins does a pretty good job. Octavia Spencer too
+ The social commentary isn't as hamfisted as it could be, especially if you're already used to del Toro's "it's ok to be weird" message. I think he did a good job by juxtaposing it with nostalgic imagery.

The bad
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

The ugly
- I still think the asset looks like a second hand Abe Sapiens. I'd expect a bit more originality since del Toro loves to design monsters.
#5066  February 17, 2018, 04:54:58 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
Black Panther

What can I say ... the acting was among the best I've seen in a Marvel flick, the action sequences were powerful and authoritative, the jokes (though few in number) were inserted into moments that felt appropriate (e.g. the sibling prods of T'Challa and Shuri), and the motivational delivery of Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger was, frankly, rather heart-wrenching.  I give it two thumbs up. :2thumbsup:

Although not quite as telling as I had anticipated, the mid- and post-credit scenes were suitable additions to the film.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:45:43 am by Mature4evr
#5067  February 25, 2018, 04:23:45 am
  • all is love in fair and war
Blade of The Immortal (2017)
some elements work much better/ cooler/ believable in drawn format than live acted for sure, but I'm not hating it. 
#5068  March 07, 2018, 02:07:33 pm
Tomb Raider (2018)
the movie itself is 1/3 pointless hipster stuff, 1/3 (midnight blissed) rambo: first blood part 2, 1/3 Indiana jones: raiders of the lost ark, however Mrs. Fassbender looks really muscular, I think she could look good as Cammy White.
#5069  April 12, 2018, 05:42:10 am
    • USA
    • blazeheatnix1@gmail.com
Black Panther

It was pretty good. The villain was great and it didn't force a "black power" message that so many other films would have. My only complaints are the effects, which seemed pretty cheap, and some of the logic of how they portray Wakanda.
#5070  April 29, 2018, 07:31:47 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
Avengers: Infinity War

Vaguely speaking, the movie indisputably makes good on the promise of the 10-year payoff (e.g. awesome superhero pairings and team dynamic, bold use of Thanos' menace and intellectual superiority, highly effective emotional resonance, and one ferocious gut punch of an ending).  Without a doubt, the Russos nailed what many had deemed unfathomable. :impressed:
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
#5071  May 03, 2018, 12:25:22 pm
avengers
it was action packed, so many things going on in a single movie, I'm not a superhero comic reader, so maybe it is just me who think Captain america doesn't look at all like captain america lol.
#5072  May 18, 2018, 03:54:31 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Infinity War

After Civil War I got tired/bored of super heroes movies but decided to watch this one because of all those Thanos memes. Well... as I expected, the forced humor is still there, the fight scenes are awesome, every group got a good amount of screen time and the pace was really good, great movie.

Lasagna
#5073  May 19, 2018, 02:06:30 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Infinity war
watched it with a few friends so that might have ruined the experience but the entire movie was just dumb(In a fun way tho)
I know they had to work with a lot of characters but for an almost 3 hour movie,characters themselves were really forgettable
Like the few times they cut back to Thor I'd have pretty much forgotten what he even was doing. Then he gets more attention near the end when the gang isn't as split up but by that point I really didn't care. Also the movie utterly failed at making me feel connected with any of the characters as it just felt incredibly rushed (despite being almost 3 hours) and most characters were just...kinda there. Doing stuff I guess.
Look at 'em go.
Also the ending just had us laughing like nuts
Also they had to make the bad guy gain the upper hand somehow so they just made a fool out of Star Lord completely and pretty much crushed his credibility (Especially since he spent the most of the movie doing dumbass jokes instead of actually doing anything)
Also the hint at the end wasn't all that interesting

Overall it was ok-ish i guess. The fight scenes were ok,the effects were amazing and the emotional and story parts were incredibly weak
#5074  May 21, 2018, 05:18:21 pm
  • SNK is life
Deadpool 2

I see why the promotion for this movie was so off the walls. They couldn't reveal all the blatant nonsense that actual plot was without giving literally everything away, and people becoming un-interested. This is a lot more personal than I expected it to be. My eyes teared up more than once.

Totally recommend it if you're into superhero movies. On the flipside, my wife didn't watch DP 1 and didn't laugh once *yikes*
#5075  May 22, 2018, 09:16:29 am
  • https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/kerbal-forum-up
The Last Showman.

The storyline was pretty simple and did not accurately portray the life of P.T. Barnum. But the songs made up for it. The songs are stuck on my mind now. Give "This is Me" a listen!
#5076  July 02, 2018, 04:05:00 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Central Intelligence

I wasn't really expecting anything good from it at first, but it was surprisingly well done. It started off really cringey at the beginning, but the action and comedy picked up after that and did a good job at it. Plot was basic, but I like the fact that they made it hard to figure out who the actual villain was. That had me at the edge of my seat with suspense.

Overall, I thought it was great (aside from the cringey beginning section). I would recommend it.

This is a generic forum signature.
#5077  July 23, 2018, 11:53:15 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Just watched Ant-Man and Wasp and its got to be by far the most fun of the MCU films.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#5078  July 31, 2018, 08:04:56 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
My mission today, and I chose to accept it, was to spend my day off doing something I'd always wanted to do:

Watch the entire Mission: Impossible film series in order, culminating, of course, with the new one.

Mission: Impossible

I'd forgotten how well put together this movie was. There's some interesting first-person tracking shots, there's a lot of tense twists, there's big action that still stands up today, and it's interesting to see Tom Cruise still in the young hotshot role as if Maverick from Top Gun was recruited right after taking down that MIG. There's an slick opener, and the ill-fated IMF crew at the start make you believe thy've worked together for quite a while. Also, Danny Elfman does the score, beginning a trend of the biggest composers of an era doing these films that carried for a good while. #3 in the ranking, as far as I'm concerned.

Mission: Impossible II

God, what a weird duck this movie is. It starts out as a spy thriller and then transforms into a typical John Woo movie, like Woo was playing at the idea of doing something different and then a dove flew in front of him and all bets were off. Featuring Thandie Newton as The Woman, and Dougray Scott as The Role That Cost Him Wolverine. Not a BAD movie per se, but certainly the worst of this franchise. Hans Zimmer on the score duties for this one, in that time before Nolan got a hold of him and he still put some effort into orchestration. #6 in the ranking so far.

Mission: Impossible III

One of the best cold opens of all time, featuring the best villain the franchise has ever had... in service of a plot that favors cutesy tricks and a literal Maguffin over thoughtful planning, kind of flying in the face of the series in a way that even the last one didn't. But man, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is so good at being an amoral son of a bitch. Michael Giacchino on the score, as per usual for an Abrams movie and he uses more of the show's themes than anyone in the series prior, probably because he was a TV guy. #4 in the ranking.

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol

So this is the first one with The Big Stunt, where Tom Cruise is hanging off a building in Dubai. It's also indicative of the times, where Jeremy Renner is brought in as a potential replacement for the franchise in the future (remember that weird few years?) Other than that though, not really that great. There's a lot of self-referential humor that doesn't feel earned (PRO TIP: If you're going to have a character that's going to point out that the plan is dumb constantly, it makes you feel like there's not real skill involved at all.) Brad Bird also does a fakeout sequence in this one, which is a technique that carries over into the future movies. Michael Giacchino is still on score duties, following up on a lot of his themes from the last one, including the surprise cameo at the end. There's also a stinger for the Syndicate, the anti-IMF organization from the TV show, which probably excited like a few dozen people. #5 in the ranking

Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation

So Take 2 on a big memorable villain for the franchise, and if they don't quite hit the mark it's not for lack of trying. This one brings back some of the slickness and thrills of the early movies while keeping enough room in the script for Tom Cruise to almost kill himself doing big stunts. Helpd along by a director that he trusts that isn't afraid to play with what you know about the actor (like the sequence where an opponent stands to full height, almost dwarfing Cruise which would have felt unheard of even ten years before. Also finally solidifies a core team for the first time since the first movie, which really helps in the dynamics and dialogue, Joe Kraemer on the score duties for this one, having worked with McQuarrie and Cruise on Jack Reacher, following up on Giacchino's heavy use of the TV theme but also mixing in Zimmer's use of leitmotif. #2 in the ranking which of course means I consider

Mission: Impossible Fallout

The best MI so far. This one is a culmination of all the movies, featuring characters, scenes and even a voiceclip that are callbacks in someway or another to every single movie in the franchise. It plays on you knowing what established characters will and won't do and it trusts you to pay attention with only the barest minimum of nudging, just like the first and second one. There's some nailbiting chase sequences, Tom Cruise runs seemingly forever like in the 3rd movie, and the final sequence is one of the most thrilling action sequences of all time. Unfortunately, there's some literal who on score duties for this one and it kind of shows, the music is indicative of post Nolan Zimmer, which is ironic. Still, really damn good.

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#5079  August 07, 2018, 05:51:57 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
The Great Wall

The story wasn't that epic but average, although I liked the costume designs and action scenes. Feels like they should have done more.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#5080  August 24, 2018, 05:30:49 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Upgrade

Been meaning to watch this movie for a while, its about a guy who gets an implant that upgrades (heh) him, and then goes on a revenge path. While the plot is something we've seen many times, the movie does a good job at making you care about the main character which is what it needed to elevate the movie's quality, and this was done very well.

Where this movie really excels at is its action scenes and Logan Marshall Green pulling off a great performance, Leigh Whannel directed the action surprisingly good considering he's never done action movies before. Not only are they easy to follow, the way he filmed the fight scenes were quite unique and kept me engaged to see more, and it was a treat from beginning to end. The movie also has some good comedic timing which was a nice touch.

Really surprisingly good movie, I know it seems like I have nothing but praise for the movie but it was just so enjoyable to watch from beginning to end. Only flaws to me would be a couple things towards the end but even then they arent too much of a problem.

8/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...