YesNoOk

Mugen Tetris (Read 14007 times)

Started by inktrebuchet, December 26, 2017, 06:53:28 pm
Mugen Tetris
#1  December 26, 2017, 06:53:28 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Ive been working on this Gameboy-ish version of Tetris for a little while now. I'm confident I've got the major parts of the code working now, Just need to add in the other pieces and a score system.

But is Tetris enough? I haven't given much thought to it interacting with other players. My original thoughts where for it to just be a stand alone mini game so that you play Tetris if you choose it has P1 or if you have to fight the cpu. What do you guys think, any ideas? 

here is a video preview of the work so far.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmcf0r9cylpks7v/bandicam%202017-12-26%2012-36-26-651.mp4?dl=0
Re: Mugen Tetris
#2  December 26, 2017, 07:05:43 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

That's pretty cool.

It'd be nice if you could put p1 in custom states to match how he's playing (e.g. taunt or go to a winpose after completing a line). Check out PotS's catwalk bonus game.

This is quite a stretch but have you considered adding "true versus" elements from puyo puyo/super puzzle fighter II?
#3  December 26, 2017, 07:25:02 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Sure seems like there's a lot more "I" pieces falling than usual.

Here's ideas...
-Make it forced to the center of the screen if only 1 Tetris player.  In statedef 5900 include triggers to detect if there are other Tetris players, in which case instead distribute them evenly using "GameWidth divided by X"
-Make the Tetris game area sprpriority -5 so the enemy can walk in front, keeping the pieces sprpriority 0.
-Clearing a line creates a fullscreen invisible helper that does not go away until it successfully hits the other player.  Or however else you can get the enemy hit per line completed.
-Make it so the enemy player can hit the falling pieces, causing them to move randomly 1 block left or right.
-Perhaps blocks that are spinning get a brief CLSN1 to hit the other player while they are trying to tamper with the blocks.
-Clearing 4 rows triggers a Super move.

#4  December 26, 2017, 08:28:52 pm
    • USA
Yeah, I still need to add the others pieces. The hardest part’s done though. This Tetris character uses limited helpers and explodes to ensure the helper/explod default limit isn’t exceeded. Also no CLSN at this point. It’s been fun!

Thanks for the ideas guys! I’ve got some stuff to think about.

Keep’em coming.
Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:32:42 pm by ink
#5  January 06, 2018, 07:19:23 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#6  January 10, 2018, 04:52:51 pm
    • USA
Thanks XGargoyle, I didn't realize she posted her code! It looks like I am further along than her already, I just need to finish up the pieces turning now and then I will focus on the score system.

I did see she was going about some things in a similar way with the board and position of the pieces being represented by vars, It's cool to see how different our plans are though. Also noticed she had plans to reference Tetris's Random generator seed. I think I will look into that, right now I'm just using  something like var(?)=random%7+1  which isn't technically correct.

I'm going to focus on getting this basic version done and then think about making it more flashy or fun for mugen.

—edit—
It stores the playfield in an array of variables, using var(0) to var(21) to store the 22 lines with a bitmask.
I then have 1024 animations that store the 1024 possible permutations of the pieces in the 10 slots.
The renderer iterate through that array and draws the appropriate line in the screen using an explod.

While I'd love to use colours, the number of permutations would be entirely too big to handle (I doubt Mugen can handle billions of sprites and animations...)
I found her old topic. Turns out we had almost the exact same idea.

Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:57:45 am by ink
#7  January 12, 2018, 07:59:07 pm
    • USA
Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:23:06 pm by ink
Re: Mugen Tetris Release
New #8  December 27, 2018, 09:11:06 pm
    • USA
I've decided to go ahead and post this unfinished Tetris game/character.

This project was abandoned once I realized a 1 tick delay was a big problem for a Tetris game, mainly once the levels get faster. Other things it's missing include, music, a point system, lose/die, what to do with p2 and probably a lot of other things.

The main thing I'm proud of with this would how the pieces stack and how the bars are handled. (0s and 1s)
It was designed to not go over mugen's default helper/explod limit. Fair warning to anyone wanting to mess with this, Fighter Factory hates the air file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbthci484nyf18e/Tetris_inktrebuchet.zip

Enjoy
Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:45:21 pm by ink