YesNoOk

The Future of MUGEN Guild Database (Read 70358 times)

Started by TrinitroRoy, July 17, 2017, 12:36:14 pm
Share this topic:
The Future of MUGEN Guild Database
#1  July 17, 2017, 12:36:14 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Hello guys,
sorry if I did something wrong or am posting this in the wrong section, but I feel like this elephant in the room needs to be finally addressed.
Yes, I'm talking about the dreaded MUGEN Guild Database question.
Context: Around 3 years ago, Nunor retired from his Database duties, and thus, the future of the MUGEN Guild Database was unclear.
Thankfully, the torch could be passed on to Basara a year later.
Now, let's skip ahead to 30/12/2016: Basara publishes the his last update on the MUGEN Guild Database, and then he retired as well.
Now, let's skip to today: It's been more then 6 months, and no new replacement for handling the database has been found still.
So I would like to know: Is the MUGEN Guild Database officially dead now? If not, are there any attempts at finding a new replacement? And if yes, what problems arose in finding a replacement?
I would like to know the full story about this, just so we can finally put this to rest. Thanks in advance!
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
Re: The Future of MUGEN Guild Database
#2  July 19, 2017, 02:47:07 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
my advice:

• Make it so anyone can submit things to the database. This is the best we can do for an automated process.
  • Require a link. Make sure it is reachable (any HTTP request should be able to do this). Sure there's robots.txt in a lot of sites, but if they don't want their shit to be listed, then that's their prerogative.
  • Make a blacklist of sites which links cannot be added to like the one about Iced's huge butt.
  • If hentai is a concern (which it is), moderate it. That's all you can do and the database needs that anyway. Add a report function for this purpose.

I'm really trying to help you guys out here because this database is really all that's trustworthy and yet it's inactive. I'm not going to that autistic MUGEN wiki anytime soon.
#3  July 19, 2017, 03:57:31 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
How hard would it be to implement Jesuszilla's suggestions into that database website itself?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4  July 19, 2017, 04:35:19 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
We actually have a plan. I just need to actually finish it!I'm on vacation and can't till at least next week sometime.
#5  July 19, 2017, 01:33:10 pm
    • Netherlands
I'm not going to that autistic MUGEN wiki anytime soon.

Part of myself died when I read that. You don't know how much the wiki has changed since you last visited it which is obviously more than several years ago.
#6  July 28, 2017, 12:43:37 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
#7  July 28, 2017, 12:52:24 am
    • Netherlands
#8  July 28, 2017, 01:08:02 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
He means I screwed it up :P

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#9  July 28, 2017, 01:14:09 am
    • Netherlands
#10  July 30, 2017, 08:26:59 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Visually it certainly looks much better than it was. However, as both a wiki and a database it leaves much to be desired. The policies being enforced there now outright scares editors instead of attracting them, what with requiring huge ass gameplay sections, forbidding red links and deletion of pages without as much as a warning, among other things. Because of these, most of the few people editing there are doing so for self-promotion instead of trying to expand it as a database (let's be honest, people visit these places only for the download links, anything else is just a nice bonus).
#11  July 30, 2017, 08:44:51 pm
    • Netherlands
Visually it certainly looks much better than it was. However, as both a wiki and a database it leaves much to be desired. The policies being enforced there now outright scares editors instead of attracting them, what with requiring huge ass gameplay sections, forbidding red links and deletion of pages without as much as a warning, among other things. Because of these, most of the few people editing there are doing so for self-promotion instead of trying to expand it as a database (let's be honest, people visit these places only for the download links, anything else is just a nice bonus).

I totally agree with that. It's in severe need of improvement and especially more people. I'm pretty much one of the very few people to actually help the wiki out. This is a big problem and I don't really know how to solve it and the only thing I can do other than contributing, which I don't want to spend all of my time on, is praying and hoping others come to the wiki and help out.