YesNoOk

Mugen Tournament Update July 2 2011 Now works for smaller screens. (Read 14397 times)

Started by Shamrock, July 03, 2011, 03:50:03 am
Share this topic:
Mugen Tournament Update July 2 2011 Now works for smaller screens.
New #1  July 03, 2011, 03:50:03 am
  • I got a PM.
If you don't know about this program, it is a frontend for mugen that adds more functionality. Currently there is only a tournament mode, but more modes are coming soon.

For those you who do know about it, I have made some major updates, keep reading to find out more.

Requirements
.NET Framework Version 4.0 (You should have this if you keep up with windows updates, if not download it)

First let me e-stroke of VirtuallTek's penis. The guy helped me out big time by making a little exe that extracts sff sprites and animations. Because of this, you no longer have to add the images manually. You can still change them though if you do have something custom.

Updates:
VirtuallTek's program
Portraits on the right side now face left
Removed the 4 buttons and now we have a keyboard control menu similar to Mugen
Setup screen that will check if your characters are working and if their name is correct
Made the names dislplayed bigger so you can actually read most of them now.
Added a smaller tournament that is optional for large screen resolutions and is the default for those of you using hardware from the early 90s.
Program now reads your round setting. If you have rounds set to 1, 2, or 3 that is now how many wins you will need and the program knows who won.
The name is played is now name, not display name.

Bug fixes: Iced strange esc button thing was found and fixed I hope.
The occasional not knowing who won, should now be fixed.

How does it work?
Download and unzip the program.
Put your copy of mugen, including the "Mugen" directory in the release folder. The path to mugen would be release/mugen/mugen.exe. If you don't a dialog box calling you a moron will pop up.
Click on the Mugen Tournament exe file and a very lame (Future update) menu screen will appear and have two buttons "Start" and "Setup"
Click "Setup" and a new menu will appear.
Click check fighters. In the list box the program will tell you which characters are working. If a character does not match its folder it will tell you, if it isn't in the select.def it will tell you, and if you have excluded the character it will tell you. It also displays the name of the character so you can fix it if there is a problem.
Now click setup fighter, and VirtuallTek's program will extract sprites and Animations for your character. Right now, only the portraits are being used, but more will be used in a future update.
Now click back and then click start.
If you are using old hardware you will be taken to the game.
If you are using a large resolution, the buttons will change and give you the option of running big tournament or large tournament.
Use the arrow keys and enter key to select the game mode for each of your fights.

Customizing.
The program automatically finds your characters and stages. If there is a character or stage you do not want used, you can add their names to excludefighter.txt. That file is found in the TMfiles directory.
Most image and sound resources are available in TMFile and TMimages. The gif can be animated if you choose so. For animated character portraits, you need to change the file created by Setupfighter which is found in your character's folder.

Enjoy.

This is a work in progress. If something does not work, don't just jerk off to Chun Li's man legs. Make a post here telling me about it.
Tell me which match number it was and what happened. Let me know if you are using Mugen 1.0 or another version, let me know what your operating system is.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.

Download

Gone Forever
Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:33:05 am by Shamrock
Re: Mugen Tournament Update July 2 2011 Now works for smaller screens.
#2  July 04, 2011, 03:29:42 am
Just tested it for awhile.I have not seen any major issues yet, other than stages that have spaces in their names not loading properly( but I guess you said that would happen in the earlier version so it not really an issue.)Everything else works as it should.

Also it seems that it you probably forgot to add  sound2.wav and sound1.wav to TMfiles. I couldn't get it to run the first couple of times until I read the error message carefully. I put the error message below anyway.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

New #3  July 04, 2011, 03:32:41 am
  • I got a PM.
Looks like i will have to fix that. Thanks.
Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:33:50 am by Shamrock
#4  July 05, 2011, 10:25:45 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Yo anyone can tell me whats the state of this now? I havent been able to download anything lately, as I am moving houses.
#5  July 05, 2011, 11:13:15 am
Sometimes I have problems when I win a match and I don't know the cause but the loser char goes on the next turn.   :S

ps: Excuse me for the bad english but I'm Italian
#6  July 05, 2011, 07:45:54 pm
  • I got a PM.
Which match is it? How many rounds is your mugen set for in fight.def? How many rounds did the fight last? Are you using Mugen 1.0 or Winmugen? What is your operating system.

Thank you.
#7  July 07, 2011, 11:28:20 am
Which match is it?

any match: often the final too.

How many rounds is your mugen set for in fight.def?

Two but I tried to set one round too, the problem don't solve.

How many rounds did the fight last?

Often all rounds of the match.

Are you using Mugen 1.0 or Winmugen?

Mugen 1.0

What is your operating system.

Windows Vista

Thanks for your attention, in any case you're doing a good work :)

#8  July 07, 2011, 11:16:28 pm
  • I got a PM.
And this is something that happens only sometimes, but not all the time?

Next time it happens, go to the mugen directory, use wordpad to open a file named "Winner". Copy and paste the text in that file, and post it here.

Thank you for the feedback.

Is anyone else having this problem?
#9  July 15, 2011, 07:01:37 pm
    • mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/
Everyone, especially those of you considering full game projects, please take a look at this tool as it can revolutionize things you can do with a full game if shamrock gets the proper feedback.

Thank you for resolving that 1 bug I told you about in pm. That bug prevented my being about to test the previous version any more.

Regarding the current version:
- love the new layout and selection
- good job on giving options for tournament size
- would maybe like a readme txt file in the next version. for instance, when clicking set up, was there anything else i was supposed to do?
- not all chars 9000,1 port were shown
- many/most names were not used
- did not see instances where character behavior was jacked up like in previous pm report. however, super mario never randomly picked either when testing (ran 4 tests)
- still got times where the wrong winner moved onto the next round (can't recall though how many rounds that match took however) i do know it happened less frequently
- the win quote window apparently uses the top portion of a def file including nonsensical info and does not read the character name correctly (though that might be tied to the previous mention of name not listed correctly)
- had an instance where clicking the final had 3 mugen windows open. i may have doubleclicked once however which would explain the 2nd window but not the 3rd. in any case, maybe try to put something in to prevent more than 1 mugen application opening at a time?
- is there something coded in to where a fighter picked will use a particular palette? i ask because it might be better to have random palette selection happen. i bring it up due to 1 of the fighters i used to test (marvin martian) always picked the same annoying palette
- still getting times where tournament keeps selecting randomly for every slot instead of going for a wider range of bracket selection (i.e. multiple use of same fighters instead of broadening the roster more)
- will only characters on the def file be candidates for selection? i had more in the char file but not on the def file (using fresh mugen v1.1 with default screenpack which limits however many on the def file)
- escaping out of a match not yet finished picked a winner as if the fight did get completed

ideas for further versions (some of which may include ideas towards better future full game usage):
- use more match types (including being able to mix. for example 1v2, 1vturnbased team of 4, etc)
- stream from 1 match to the next
- ability to specifically choose a match up each round (including mixed match types)
- ability to lay out fight path opponents (including mixed match types)
- more rounds along that path
- access whatever avi or other file types (such as what people use for arcade intro and endings) between matches to help tell a full game story
Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:23:20 am by Volzzilla
#10  July 15, 2011, 11:35:51 pm
I realized the app only recognizes a char if it has a def file of the same name (or it assumes it has one) in the same folder. It means a character that don't fit the criteria trigger an error message (like Reu_chars_2010/DragonClaw/DragonClaw.def assumes there would be Reu_chars_2010/Reu_chars_2010.def).

I also realize some chars don't get their name and port shown. I want to say maybe it's because they use sffv2 but the only characters that I know use it are Raaja's latest stuff (which this issue always happens to) so I don't really know.

#11  April 12, 2012, 12:28:37 pm
News?  :???:

sdd

#12  April 13, 2012, 12:12:32 am
  • :V
Don't do that; I thought there was an update.

If there's news, then he'll post it.
god damn change the tampon already