YesNoOk

Regarding the added filters in releases (Read 4876 times)

Started by Berry, June 04, 2015, 08:53:02 pm
Share this topic:
Regarding the added filters in releases
#1  June 04, 2015, 08:53:02 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
I'm glad we now have more options to distinguish and help out in separating creations, however I feel these are either too numerous at this point, whether it'd be having unnecessary ones or ones that don't belong there. I'll try to elaborate as best as I can.

Hi-Res
Hi-Res Full game, Hi-res Lifebar, 1.1 Hi-Res Full game, 1.1 Hi-res lifebars, with how little we have of these I don't see a point in having hi-res icons for them. Just separate them into 1.0 and 1.1, the hi-res stuff seems relatively useless and adds clutter and I personally don't think people know what this exactly means so it doesn't exactly help to distinguish what you're looking for, it just adds more sections that someone has to look through.

Portraits
As for portraits, is there even a need for 4 of essentially the same thing? They're not too common and separating them into hi-res doesn't really help distinguishing them. Instead of having 4 filters for really similar creations why not 4 for completely different uses?

- Default portrait dimensions (whether it be 240 edits or Saikoro's hi-res shit),
- Custom screenpack portraits (like the Warzone or Legacy shit), one for
- Lifebar portraits (custom lifebars obviously), and one final one for
- 9000,0 sprites like Hades makes. Would help distinguish them better.

Another thing, why have portraits in the main release board? Move them to addons considering what they are. Portrait releases have been put there in the past, as well as the fact that palettes are also in add ons. Why have them in the main release board considering portraits are add-ons for existing work. Only recently have they been put in main but if they're going to get their own filters now then place them where they belong.

Here's our current look, it's slightly cluttered and it has poor organization

How it should look with removed clutter and placing portraits elsewhere, and improving the layout (not sure how easy this would be to implement). Maybe you could add hi-res lifebars if you really wanted to considering hi-res screenpacks are a thing (but that's an issue for another day)

What addons should have added, except replace 1.1 with custom and add the other two i mentioned.

Just my thoughts since I feel that adding new options is nice but consider which ones are useful and remove ones that could just serve for wasting someone's time when searching for options and just making the layout more unappealing.
Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:50:08 am by MangoBox
Re: Regarding the added filters in releases
#2  June 05, 2015, 01:19:08 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
I agree with this for the most part. IMO there's almost no point in having so many distinguishing topic filters for portraits. If the ports posted have a zero color, i think it's fair to say its not for 1.1 without having to use a post filter. Not to mention they could just search for the original screenpack topic and find out from there).

In terms of what he said about hi-res;
I agree excluding the lifebar stuff. There definitely are not enough completed fullgames to justify it's own filtering beyond one button. Lifebars I think need that sort of filtering. There are great looking hires and non-hires lifebars, and some are 1.1 exclusive. Maybe removing 1.1 hires lifebars could be an option to help reduce the excess filters.

Also not to be an asshole but just bluntly honest, the new buttons look pretty bad if I compare them to the old ones. It looks like a rush photoshop job, and it's noticeable. The 1.1 looks really out of place and has a horrible blue outer glow on it(except for on the lifebar button which doesn't look as bad because of that fact), the copied hires sticker has jagged edges unlike the originals, the pink/purple in the portrait button seems too saturated in comparison to all the other buttons.
I suppose it shouldn't require a lot of effort since it has a function (which it serves), but it looks bad nonetheless. It isn't something that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but idk to people like me it's a bit of an eyesore.
#3  June 05, 2015, 03:14:50 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
I agree. There's WAY too many icons, and the number of portrait icons is quite ridiculous. Portrait releases are almost always hi res, so it seems redundant not only to have separate releases for 1.1, but ALSO 1.1 HR.
#4  June 05, 2015, 03:06:46 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Where were you jabronies when I was waiting a month for feedback on adding these?!
+ Lifebars + Portrait? (there really needs to be a Portrait icon)

As for the look. I'm no pro button designer :P
Make a better template and give me the tools and I'll replace them.

Also Val has to organize them. I have not had him do it yet because I hadn't finished adding these to the other 2 boards. Glad I didn't now.

Is this what everyone prefers?
#5  June 05, 2015, 08:20:05 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
portrait icons are needed I know but they should be in add-ons, not main release board. add-ons towards main releases are what should be considered there, portraits are usually made for a specific creation already, place them in their proper section is all i'm saying. if palettes are forced to be in add-ons I don't see why portraits should be in main.

Pal

#6  June 05, 2015, 11:44:27 pm
    • Argentina
We could also use a voicepack icon which should also go into Edits & Addons. Also, do Full Games really need to be identified as hi-res or 1.1? Full games are its own thing, it shouldn't matter if it's hires or 1.1 since it's meant to work with all it has inside, not to have its modules taken out and put into regular MUGEN.

I'm all in favor of this, going into the releases board is an eyesore right now.
#7  June 06, 2015, 02:08:29 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
yeah forgot about soundpacks but those definitely could be good

i can make icons but i wouldn't know how to add in an attractive 1.1 without it being cluttered
#8  June 06, 2015, 04:50:01 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
Since i hate the font choice, I'm gonna suggest finding a different font that'll leave room to add 1.1 next to the text
#9  June 06, 2015, 08:50:51 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
F the icons and just add tags
#10  June 10, 2015, 02:23:53 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
@MangoBox: Are those the final icon designs?

Yes, Tags would be the best option but I guess it'd be too much work as Val wants to stick with icons.
#11  August 03, 2015, 12:52:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Guess I'll assume those are final. I have a better idea for the 1.0 icon too. Put the 1.0 in the upper left corner inside a white triangle. Have a white border go around the icon.
#12  August 14, 2015, 01:03:46 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
I kind of gave up tbh so I guess they are final... was just showing off how i could make icons or whatnot. a border that's white would work but my main point is that we need to clean up all the clutter on the current shit first and move other things into edits.
#13  August 14, 2015, 02:03:25 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Intended to do that too. Probably try and finish this up tomorrow