YesNoOk

Tired Man's Guide to Color Separation / Yet another .\/. random stuff topic (Read 13079 times)

Started by Rolento, September 01, 2011, 03:22:38 am
Re: Tired Man's Guide to Color Separation / Yet another .\/. random stuff topic
#21  October 05, 2011, 04:15:26 am
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
That looks really good like the rest of your sprites. And thanks for your Color Separation guide it's really Useful and easy i'm using it to Color separate Hiryu and it's really helpful.
#22  October 05, 2011, 05:22:09 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Nice to hear that someone's found a use for it. I swear I post some of these things for no reason sometimes as so little of it sees any actual usage.
#23  October 05, 2011, 08:05:43 pm
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
People wil learn.... some day...
Spriting is hard.
#24  October 05, 2011, 08:11:15 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Quite a bit of work for little real gain.

And because it is honestly a pretty cheap and easy edit from above, one true Squirrely.

Now that's cool. Possible project one day or just a one-time thing?

Also do you plan on looking at the Arc System Works games sprites, like Guilty Gear and the like next?
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#25  October 06, 2011, 02:40:54 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Makoto there was mostly just a quick edit from the last one as both had some similar features to start with. Not familiar with the character enough to consider for a real project. Have considered looking at the various Arc System Works games, but I still have a bit of unfinished business with Capcom and their CPS3 era work first.

Have this strange cat themed fellow bugging me about working on a CPS3 styled character to go along with Goku and Vegeta. Could only think of one character that might be worth it as I had done edits for him in the past for another person's project. I'll just say "Pantera - 10's" and leave it at that.
#26  October 06, 2011, 03:07:28 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
KAAAAAKOOOOOROOOOOOTT!!!!!!!!
Spriting is hard.
#27  October 06, 2011, 02:30:47 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Ah yeah. I forgot about CPS3.

What about SNK's AOF trilogy and Fatal Fury series? Just sayin'.
#28  October 06, 2011, 03:08:32 pm
  • SNK is life
I don't think there's much to be said about AOF, artwise. Sprites are large, clunky, and they follow very basic rules of "Add as many colors to make it look like it has more detail", being the brightest shade of every color WHITE in most cases, which sucks IMO. This applies to AOF 1 and 2. Regarding AOF3, one of the few noteworthy things to mention are the insane amount of frames for the animations, but nothing remarkable on the sprite style itself.

For the FF series, I'll let other people comment since I didn't really play any of those games enough to remember.
#29  October 06, 2011, 03:15:19 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I do know they went a more cartoonish route between RB1 and special. Compare RB1 Franco to RBS Franco.
#30  October 07, 2011, 04:51:35 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
AOF related sprites never really caught my attention; just didn't quite look right to me. Can't say I played a great deal of Fatal Fury titles either, or at least nowhere near to the amount of time spent on games using styles that I have covered/plan to cover to sprite studies.
#31  October 07, 2011, 09:12:47 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
On the palette seperation thingy. E has created a program he calls merge layers.

Basically, you set up a palette, apply it to all your images, alter said palette and create another version of all the images. Palette should be the same on both sprites, but one set has say, hair and everything shared the different colour. You then have 2 sets

One normal
One with odd colours

You then run through the odd colours and simply delete the stuff you'd like seperated off, ie returning to original. E's tool will run through all the images and merge them together, so the stuff you deleted is overlaid onto the original sprite. This gives you a seperated block, as well as original stuff showing through.

It means if you wanna do lots going over the sprites a few times, but batch changing a palette is pretty simple, and you don't need to be so careful that you don't select/delete/draw over bits you weren't meant to because they'll come back from the "under" sprites.

If anyone is really interested in this i'll post some examples of how i do the setup. Dunno if E wants the program out there, don't see why he wouldn't.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#32  October 07, 2011, 09:26:18 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
I understand it fully, is the dl at his site?
#33  October 07, 2011, 10:16:46 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Makoto's tail should be way fluffier.
I'd complain about how the skirt should be shorter and the legs longer but those differences are because of the style, I guess.
#34  October 07, 2011, 01:01:25 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
I also just remembered. What about the cross-tonfa things on her arms?
#35  October 07, 2011, 05:27:25 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
makoto' nipples should be bigger.
#36  October 07, 2011, 10:19:03 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Not particularly planning to do much more with Makoto, just a cheap edit off Itachi from the screenshot. If I did more, I'd give her back her original stance for starters.

Cyanide: I am aware of his tool, but personally prefer to work off a single image.

[e]: Not enough space, plus see my site regarding the subject matter.

Can see why Balthazar did not opt to follow all cps3 color usage. Not necessary in all cases. Slowly working on during later hours when I should have been sleeping. Hah.
#37  October 07, 2011, 10:27:08 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Shame. Ah well.

I've grown to love Balthazar's spriting style since I saw his Goku and Vegeta. Any particular bits of his work you're looking at aside from what's mentioned?
#38  October 07, 2011, 10:32:50 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
More looking at cps3 sprites for reference, although I did look at the mockshots that included his take on the character for some initial ideas on color choice.
#39  October 07, 2011, 11:07:48 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
What's the verdict so far? From the looks of the starter sprite it looks to be pretty good.
#40  October 07, 2011, 11:13:08 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Verdict? Think you lost me there. If you're talking about the style in general, I think Balthazar had it right to dumb things down a bit for the sake of animation, especially where it a lot of colors were not really needed. Downplaying the shading on the hair for instance as you go further back and down to make it a bit easier for fluid movement, and while the body may seem detailed it realistically isn't that bad considering the scale of things.