YesNoOk

forum software direction (Read 8580 times)

Started by Valodim, November 18, 2015, 01:30:10 pm
Share this topic:
forum software direction
#1  November 18, 2015, 01:30:10 pm
    • Germany
So, there has been a couple of users asking about tapatalk integration. It's not like I don't approve of this, it's more a problem of implementation - we're not exactly vanilla SMF forum software here, so modifications don't apply cleanly - and this is a pretty big modification...

BUT, I can also see how mobile accessibility is important to have these days, so I wonder if it's time to move to a more modern forum software. :thinking:

When we moved to this smf fork we're on right now a couple of years ago, SMF development had been stagnant for half a decade. This seems to have gotten better (they moved to github, at least!), but they still don't do big leaps to get with the times. A conservative option would be to go back to regular SMF, and install tapatalk. This is not a small amount of work though - and more importantly, really not the fun kind of work. :sadgoi:

Other options I looked at are NodeBB, which looks neat and modern and everything - but they don't save which messages you already read, a missing feature which is quite the showstopper imo. Another contender is Discourse which seems to be the hot new thing by the stackexchange guys. I'd be down with that. The largest drawback with these more modern options would be that they are quite the change from our established ways, losing some of the homely feel and making old timey members very unhappy.

thought I'd throw these 0.02€ (we have cents, too!) out there. thoughts anyone?
Re: forum software direction
#2  November 18, 2015, 01:32:34 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
i like it the way it is now. if it aint broke, don't fix it! whats great is that this keeps a history of EVERYTHING you do. also, i don't like change!!!
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#3  November 18, 2015, 02:25:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
What all would we NOT be able to bring over with those changes do you think?

Would we be able to keep the current color scheme, logo, stars, membergroups, etc?

Basically how much different would any changes make the forums look? I'm all for change if we can keep some of the aesthetics to make the change smoother. I feel we probably need to get with the times. More mobile access, notifications, etc should also give more views and potential feedback to people.
#4  November 18, 2015, 05:41:35 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
If you think some fancy new software would attract more users and extend the forum's lifespan another decade, then let's do it. If you don't think a fancy mobile site wouldn't attract a  otoriously larger crowd, then don't bother.

I've seen some intereting stuff done in xenforo - dunno how much is vanilla and how much comes from mods though.
#5  November 18, 2015, 06:06:28 pm
#6  November 18, 2015, 06:10:55 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
The only problems with mobile browsing on MFG are the problems caused by mobile browsing being absolute shit. It's fine as is.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#7  November 18, 2015, 06:14:59 pm
    • Germany
#8  November 18, 2015, 06:17:24 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
The reason I said it like that was last time we had it suggested a bunch of people flooded into the topic like "nah." I kinda figured the same would happen but look who's wrong.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#9  November 18, 2015, 06:17:52 pm
I've been using my phone during daytime (PC at home) for a couple months and it's just as fine as any other average website for mobile browsing. Of course, I've no idea what tapatalk does, but OTOH I have a pretty bad experience on phone with sites that supposedly have a version specially for phones. I prefer to use the home version whenever available.
Also the few users who suggested it were strangely similar kinds of users : people popping out of nowhere, who have few posts, and who kinda sound like a kid who knows only their one app (like, they only ever use Twitter or something - random example) and want everything else to be available through that. And then they vanish.
I've never seen any """trustworthy""" (big quotes) person even mention it.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:23:03 pm by DKDC
#10  November 18, 2015, 07:47:32 pm
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
Unless a seamless transition into a fully functional, mobile friendly version is available, I think it's best to stay with the setup we have now. Additionally, I also prefer the browser version of sites on my phone when browsing. A lot of functions seem to get lost on mobile versions.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#11  November 18, 2015, 09:14:04 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
i also visit the forum from my phone sometimes when i'm not home and i've never had anny problems (besides the annoyances of visiting a website using your phone) and see no reasons to go through such a big change that would break what we already have for a feature that no one really needs

now, how 'bout them webms?
#12  November 18, 2015, 11:20:54 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
if it's just for tapatalk it's not worth it. node bb is shit since the feature it lacks is very important.
#13  November 19, 2015, 01:08:25 am
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Been using MFG on my phone whenever I'm not at home, and I can safely assume that it's fine as it is (aside from button press delays, but then again my phone is old). I don't see any reason to go to mobile if it functions as much as how using a forum on PC would.

Then again, seeing how Tapatalk's layout is, it seems organized, I think. But it's up to you guys: You want to keep it as it is or go for a more "modern" approach and give MFG a "mobile mode"?
#14  November 19, 2015, 01:21:51 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
I'm perfectly fine with the forum software. Guild displays just fine on both major mobile browsers, Safari and Chrome. I especially don't think that the stackexchange-style interface would fit that Discourse has.

Also the 5 or so users that suggested Tapatalk barely had any posts, and still probably do.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:28:29 am by Jesuszilla

DMK

#15  November 19, 2015, 06:04:29 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
Would this just be for mobile changes or would this help in anyway to add future features to the site, run better, etc?
#16  November 19, 2015, 06:57:46 am
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
I've got a pretty old phone so mobile sites are broken 90% of the time, kind of the reason I stopped going to mffa. I've never had any problems with guild no matter what phone or browser I used, so I don't see why there's suddenly need for a change.
#17  November 20, 2015, 03:46:37 am
This is easily one of the best sites on mobile as is, I can barely function on any other site. Can actually browse this place even at near dial-up speeds. I'm for no change as well.
#18  November 20, 2015, 05:09:31 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
talking about cool enw features, what's left? the only thing Ic an thinka bout is hiding topic so they won't show; it's slightly annoying wanting to click on toics with the (new) icons and having to ignore a few of those per subform; but that's really minor shit not worth a software change by itself.
#19  November 25, 2015, 04:35:49 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
kinda late but before i say this, im gonna be the next person to say mobile is fine as is

now, to appease everyone, would it be possible to just make a separate layout for mobile thats chooseable? Maybe something responsive, or simpler, etc.

At the bottom of the page there IS a mobile option but it's fucked up. all the default buttons and icons are exposed and breaks the layout.
 I honestly never noticed the option until I accidentally clicked it a few minutes ago.

If this is an option, newer users (since they are the only ones who complained) can use a mobile view while people (us) who like it as is can keep it as is.