YesNoOk

Android 17 Z2 (Inspired) (Read 222468 times)

Started by likiji123, August 24, 2015, 11:17:39 am
Share this topic:
Android 17 Z2 (Inspired)
#1  August 24, 2015, 11:17:39 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia

I thought i would share a project i'm working on right now,
the reason as to why i'm doing this is because i've been following the Z2/HDBZ project for quite a while and is the reason as to why i started spriting, im also doing this to get myself much better at animations and may be the reason as to why there may not be post frequently

While i dont have that much to show i do have a early stance animation to show
NEW stance :D

Moveset ideas
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:51:33 pm by likiji123
Re: Android 17 Z2 (Inspired)
#2  August 24, 2015, 05:03:53 pm
  • Bad Personal Text? Nah...Bad you!
    • Canada
Oooooooo....very interesting, looks great and good luck! I'll be following dis
#3  August 25, 2015, 10:50:16 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Oooooooo....very interesting, looks great and good luck! I'll be following dis
Thanks!

and im working on a walking animation but i thought i would get any opinions (animation/body parts wise) before i continued (I know its not very smooth but im working on that part)
the walk animation was inspired by the way he walks in budokai 1 and 2

EDIT: added an extra frame
EDIT2: Added another frame, hopefully its a little bit smoother
Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:18:08 am by likiji123
#4  August 25, 2015, 11:26:39 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
The walking animation seems to be animating the legs independantly and that makes it look too unnatural.

I suggest starting with some easier animations, the walk anim is usually pretty hard to begin with
#5  August 25, 2015, 11:50:35 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
I see, Ill work on that later

do you have any suggestions on what animations i could do?

EDIT: i fixed up the stance so the last frame dosn't stick out as much as it did before
Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:57:09 am by likiji123
#6  August 25, 2015, 11:54:15 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Train more with the stance and attempt to reach something that feels organic and easy to replicate, since you will have to redraw it several times and reanimate it often for the start of your basics a stance should be worked on a lot.

Studying other capcom bases might also help.
#7  August 25, 2015, 11:59:43 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
well first i was trying to make the stance look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifDNfHtNYM (first 2 seconds of the vid)
but it turned into its own thing

but i will see other stances, get inspiration (mabey from the anime) and rework the stance
#8  August 25, 2015, 12:42:21 pm
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
While i havent done the inbetween frames i have done the first and last frame of my retry of the stance (the first is the same)
-->

HQ

#9  August 25, 2015, 02:13:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifDNfHtNYM

Observation is the key element to learn how to animate. Take a look what C17 feet are doing in the video. They rest at the same place --> as a result of that when he bends slightly down (causing his hip to go downwards) his upper leg moves forward (to the right) and the lower leg is slightly angled toward the knee (that is now in a place more to the right).
#10  August 25, 2015, 02:20:04 pm
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifDNfHtNYM

Observation is the key element to learn how to animate. Take a look what C17 feet are doing in the video. They rest at the same place --> as a result of that when he bends slightly down (causing his hip to go downwards) his upper leg moves forward (to the right) and the lower leg is slightly angled toward the knee (that is now in a place more to the right).
Yeah
Im actually in the process of fixing that right now and may be able to get it done soon
thanks for the help, hopefully my redo of the stance looks more accurate to Budokai 1 stance
#11  August 25, 2015, 02:55:31 pm
don't start spriting from scratch, you're gonna burn yourself out. use some references.
go download some CVS2 sprites, study them and use appropriate ones as bases for your animations

and stretching static parts is very jarring to to look at, i wouldn't recommend doing it at all.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12  August 26, 2015, 01:32:45 pm
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Thanks for the help, and i probably wont be doing the stretching anymore

and i was thinking of redoing the stance entirely (Probably a new pose) mainly because at the state its at right now its hard to figure out any animations for it and its been quite hard to work with
#13  August 27, 2015, 05:06:01 am
    • bishoman123@gmail.com
Shouldn't A17 be scaled to be half a head shorter then Piccolo?

So a bit taller than Gohan and Vegeta but still smaller then Piccolo?

i can't help my self but to say i just love that icon you made for him
#14  August 27, 2015, 07:02:44 am
  • Not for sale
17 should be maybe a pixel taller than Vegeta. Gohan is much taller than the androids.

Anyway, as a budding sprite artist, I think you're putting way too much on your plate at once. You should be spriting different characters using bases for anatomical reference. Your anatomy and shading need a ton of work and trying to animate before you hone your fundamentals to a more refined level is probably counterproductive.
Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:06:19 am by AugustAPC
#15  August 27, 2015, 08:10:47 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
17 should be maybe a pixel taller than Vegeta. Gohan is much taller than the androids.

Anyway, as a budding sprite artist, I think you're putting way too much on your plate at once. You should be spriting different characters using bases for anatomical reference. Your anatomy and shading need a ton of work and trying to animate before you hone your fundamentals to a more refined level is probably counterproductive.
Hmm ill do that in my redo of the stance
and yeah i pretty much found out the hard way that i was gonna have to use bases

also i was thinking of making 17s stance like this

but i was wondering if this suits android 17

EDIT:
Shouldn't A17 be scaled to be half a head shorter then Piccolo?

So a bit taller than Gohan and Vegeta but still smaller then Piccolo?

i can't help my self but to say i just love that icon you made for him
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/2/20/Future_Android_17_and_18_while_vs_Future_Gohan.png/revision/latest?cb=20121218155450
i think this is a good size comparison

And thank you :D
Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:11:44 am by likiji123
#16  August 28, 2015, 03:32:32 pm
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
I think I've got used to animating now, here's an example of what i'm doing right now

I probably need to add one or two more frames to make it smooth but this will be his light punch
i also need to do shading and add the scarf
#17  August 29, 2015, 07:48:04 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Added an extra frame and added the scarf

Feedback would be appreciated
#18  August 29, 2015, 05:07:09 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
I suggest looking up references of punching animations, because that looks awfully weak. Usually you would expect someone to stretch their arm entirely when delivering a straight forward punch.

Shit
#19  August 30, 2015, 03:11:23 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
I suggest looking up references of punching animations, because that looks awfully weak. Usually you would expect someone to stretch their arm entirely when delivering a straight forward punch.
well i did use something as a base for this

but if it doesn't feel like a punch is there anyway i could fix it to make it feel more like a punch?
#20  August 30, 2015, 04:27:30 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
but if it doesn't feel like a punch is there anyway i could fix it to make it feel more like a punch?

@likiji123:

-->

You'll notice a few changes there. I didn't fix everything, since it's your project after all, but for the frames where the fist is supposed to connect, the head's position looks way too far off; try bringing it back a few pixels. Also, in the 4th frame try making his head look like the frame in which Kyo's arm is extended when the punch lands, it'll give Android 17 more life.

I like how you used Kyo as a reference, but since Z2 style primarily rips off takes inspiration from CvS/SF3, I highly recommend you look into animations from those games as references.

I was going to say that Android 17's EB sprites should be used, but then I remembered that he was a Support character there. In addition, I wrote his name as 18 rather than 17 on imgur. >_<
This is a generic forum signature.