YesNoOk

Project Catch 'Em All (Read 779893 times)

Started by Ryon, September 12, 2013, 02:52:20 am
Share this topic:
Re: Project Catch 'Em All
#641  November 05, 2018, 09:21:53 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Alright I decided I wanted to at least do something after my long absence so I've got a few things to share. Firstly is the updated version of Pichu. As the only changes I needed to make were to its attacking collisions it was a pretty easy and quick change to make, and hopefully assuming I haven't missed something Pichu should only be missing its palettes. Speaking of which, I have created a few sample palettes like I did for Sharpedo. Once those are added or some other palettes depending on feedback, Pichu should finally be my first complete character. Below you can find both the download link and the two palettes I made (plz give feedback, I am happy to make some more):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1cy52xbbcks6mbu/Pichu+%28Updated%29.zip

And here are the palettes
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Next is something I made myself a while ago but never shared. It always annoyed me that if you added the test character (Poke Man) to the select screen it would have kfm's head as opposed to a Pokemon style party icon. So I went ahead and made one (based off of Sawk's one) as well as mystery dungeon-ified his portrait thing in battle. For anyone else interested below is the sff file that you just replace the one in the existing kfm folder to get my custom edited sprites.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zt5jilg7b34fwmb/kfm.sff

Finally I'd just like to say thanks for adding versus mode back :3 as well as ask one question: will the stat raising and lowering system added affect my characters and are there any changes I will need to make?
edit: typos
Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:28:10 pm by Jake Phillips
#642  November 06, 2018, 01:53:36 am
  • I've finally got a yellow star!
    • UK
    • txpotstuff.wordpress.com/
Firstly is the updated version of Pichu. As the only changes I needed to make were to its attacking collisions it was a pretty easy and quick change to make, and hopefully assuming I haven't missed something Pichu should only be missing its palettes. Speaking of which, I have created a few sample palettes like I did for Sharpedo. Once those are added or some other palettes depending on feedback, Pichu should finally be my first complete character. Below you can find both the download link and the two palettes I made (plz give feedback, I am happy to make some more)

1. I would suggest adding "kill = 0" to the "LifeAdd" code, so Pichu doesn't actually kill himself with his moves if your HP is low enough.

2. The palettes themselves are okay, but you must remember to keep the second palette as the "shiny" palette, only for consistency's sake for the other Pokemon.

Otherwise, he's good enough to be added to the cast. If you're happy with everything else, i'll add him in as part of beta 5.

Next is something I made myself a while ago but never shared. It always annoyed me that if you added the test character (Poke Man) to the select screen it would have kfm's head as opposed to a Pokemon style party icon. So I went ahead and made one (based off of Sawk's one) as well as mystery dungeon-ified his portrait thing in battle. For anyone else interested below is the sff file that you just replace the one in the existing kfm folder to get my custom edited sprites.
*chuckle* That's some good effort there! The nose on the "Mystery Dungeon" portrait though... *laughs*
 I will keep it though! It'll be standard to the template, while other people can change to the original if they want.

Finally I'd just like to say thanks for adding versus mode back :3 as well as ask one question: will the stat raising and lowering system added affect my characters and are there any changes I will need to make?

You need to update any previous characters with the following information.

In the updated characters, you should find a block of code that looks like this in the start of each move:

Code:
[State 500, Set ATB]
type = Null
trigger1 = !time
trigger1 = var(0):=floor((250)*fvar(38)) && var(8):=0 && var(9):=floor((100)*fvar(39))

Variable 0 and variable 9 has to have the code changed to the above. If the previous looked like this:

Code:
var(0):= 250
var(9):= 100

Then it has to look like this:

Code:
var(0):=floor((250)*fvar(38))
var(9):=floor((100)*fvar(39))

Finally, you should find a block of code that looks like this in statedef -3:

Code:
; Set stats
[State ]
type = Null
trigger1 = fvar(4):=floor((295)*fvar(34)) ; Attack
trigger1 = fvar(5):=floor((295)*fvar(35)) ; Special Attack
trigger1 = fvar(6):=floor((284)*fvar(36)) ; Defense
trigger1 = fvar(7):=floor((317)*fvar(37)) ; Special Defense

Float variables 4-7 has to have the code changed to the above. If the previous looked like this:

Code:
trigger1 = fvar(4):=300 ; Attack
trigger1 = fvar(5):=300 ; Special Attack
trigger1 = fvar(6):=300 ; Defense
trigger1 = fvar(7):=300 ; Special Defense

Then it has to look like this:

Code:
trigger1 = fvar(4):=floor((300)*fvar(34)) ; Attack
trigger1 = fvar(5):=floor((300)*fvar(35)) ; Special Attack
trigger1 = fvar(6):=floor((300)*fvar(36)) ; Defense
trigger1 = fvar(7):=floor((300)*fvar(37)) ; Special Defense

And in that moment, I forgot to update the Kung Fu Man template and the Developer Reference.txt file to the new system changes... :( An update will pop up soon.

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#643  November 07, 2018, 01:58:18 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Huh, I didn't know there was a way to stop Pichu killing itself, thanks for that one, I've added it now. I also intended from the beginning to have his shiny palette be one of the palettes, that's why i only created two because with the default and shiny colours that made four palettes, to have a unique colour for if the player picks Pichu four times. I actually have no idea how to add palettes so I will work on figuring that out, and then when I have i will release the (hopefully) final version of Pichu.

I also didn't even realise just how silly the mystery dungeon like portrait's nose looked, I have fixed it now and it overall looks better. Not spectacular, but a lot better than before I feel. The updated sff file can be downloaded below:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/drlbl972b0v73do/kfm.sff

Finally I want to talk about my plan for the other characters. My primary goal right now is to finish Pichu, as it seems easier to try focusing all my efforts on perfecting each character individually.

Next will be Dunsparce as it seems to be the quicker to fix and get the final version released. I have already fixed Dunsparce's Strength attack, it is just a matter of finding a new projectile effect for Ice Beam (I was thinking maybe of using the crystals from the gen 3 animation but edited to look clear) and to add the palettes, as well as any other changes that anyone finds would be beneficial.

Sharpedo is after, although it seems like it could take a bit longer between my tight schedule and it needs some better changes such as overhauling Icy Wind and finding and implementing a better effect for Aqua Jet. I also need to ask: what do the new stats systems do to affect its Agility? will the move need to be recoded and if so what should I do to change it?

Finally is Plusle & Minun. These characters are... broken. I am still unsure of what I'm going to do with them. Worst case scenario i cancel the character or more likely i just add both of them to the same sprite. A more boring character but at least it would function. However, i am not giving up yet so don't worry. I am also going to try once again to see if i can add the original system i had in mind for them. Originally my plan was for a button press to cause both of them to attack, although Minun would have a very slight delay, so i may try to add this again, although i can't make any guarantees. If i feel like it i may also try to re add the system where Minun can also get hurt, although this is only to disrupt its attacks as Minun can't faint (I previously gave up on this because Minun kept turning into Plusle and just standing there). If i can't get these guys to work then i will make a start on changing them to be in the same sprite.
#644  November 07, 2018, 03:25:15 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
ok so i officially have no clue how to add an alternate palette i may need some help here.
#645  November 08, 2018, 02:08:10 am
    • UK
I also didn't even realise just how silly the mystery dungeon like portrait's nose looked, I have fixed it now and it overall looks better. Not spectacular, but a lot better than before I feel.

Yeah, that looks better to me.

I also need to ask: what do the new stats systems do to affect its Agility? will the move need to be recoded and if so what should I do to change it?

The new system doesn't do anything for customized Agility; Other than the variable that controls the ATB speed, there's nothing else that supports it. I left this in place in the event that someone would want an Agility that lasts for a few turns instead of decreasing the Max ATB bar permanently, but this means that both can stack, resulting in an extremely fast pokemon.

Thus, you can either have a custom Agility that's what Scyther uses, or can go the more traditional route and increase Speed by 2 levels every time (Diancie's Rock Polish). Though Sharpedo already has Scyther's agility, it's set to a high number that can make it overpowered.

ok so i officially have no clue how to add an alternate palette i may need some help here.

For help on palette editing for Fighter Factory 3 or higher, try this topic:

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/how-add-palettes-sffv2-characters-178210.msg2323352.html#msg2323352

Also, as far as I remember, Samus is meant to be super slim, enough to be flexible and morph into a ball inside her suit. You gave her a huge ass that makes it impossible to imagine it being done.
#646  November 11, 2018, 12:41:28 am
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Ok just thought I'd post an update: Firstly, Pichu is coming along nicely. I've added 2 extra palettes, but can't seem to get the other 3 (I've decided to go with 6 palettes rather than 4) to show up, presumably because the Pikachu character used as a base only has 3 palettes. Once I figure it out and get the other 3 palettes working, Pichu will be complete as I have also stopped it from killing itself. Next, as you may have noticed, I changed my name. it is also my name on Pokemon Showdown ans I've been changing a bunch of other accounts to it, so thats why that changed. Finally, i have decided on the next 2 characters I'm going to make when I finish the ones that are currently in progress.
#647  November 11, 2018, 02:58:04 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Ok so I've been pretty exited to start working on these characters and I've kind of done more than i was anticipating. Not only have I updated Pichu to hopefully the final version, complete with all 6 palettes and it no longer killing itself:

I have also updated the updated version of the Squirtle character with the new changes, as well as slightly reducing the time it takes for its moves to recharge to make it not just a worse Blastoise.

Finally I've also updated Dunsparce with 6 palettes, a faster, less buggy version of Strength complete with a new hit animation effect, and I've changed Ice Beam's appearence and sounds to make it more like the gen 3 version of the move, overall looking much better than its old animations. I've also slightly increased its recharging times as they were a bit too fast and made Dunsparce very strong as well as removing the fact Dunsparce had STAB on Ice Beam and Flamethrower because I'm stupid. I won't say its the final build for Dunsparce like with Pichu because there is likely something I missed but it may be.

Anyway, the downloads are below:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7m50xej6vkv76/Project_Catch_Em_All_Characters
#648  November 11, 2018, 05:05:48 pm
    • UK

*Dunsparce*

1. Strength doesn't have any hit-sounds at all when hitting the opponent.
a. It's still slow to attack, making the move seem clunky to use. I think it's the problem of the whole transition of the attack itself; Dunsparce does some sort of animation at the beginning, then flies towards the opponent slower than he does returning to his original spot, and then does some sort of headbutt-like attack. Most Pokemon with melee attacks that can get right up your face can out-speed Dunsparce in that regard.

2. I don't like Ice Beam's effects. I know it's different from before, but to me, it doesn't look the part of an icy beam attack. It's like it's spewing snowflakes in perfect unison that periodically disappear and reappear.

*Squirtle*

1. The Attack Menu in the fighting screen doesn't match the Attack Menu in the Pokemon Selection screen.

2. Bubble Beam's bubbles appear in two different places at once, with one of the places being away from Squirtle's face.

#649  November 11, 2018, 09:37:25 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Quick question, how would one go adjusting the rate Ice Beam freezes at? I've made a new Ice Beam that features more projectiles than before and it seems to freeze more frequently now, and its a bit OP. How would I go around toning down this chance? Once that is done, I will be ready to release the next version of Dunsparce, as I have fixed and sped up Strength by removing the starting animation and adding a hit sound, and Ice Beam has a more fitting animation and sound now.
#650  November 12, 2018, 12:01:52 am
    • UK
Quick question, how would one go adjusting the rate Ice Beam freezes at? I've made a new Ice Beam that features more projectiles than before and it seems to freeze more frequently now, and its a bit OP. How would I go around toning down this chance?

The piece of code here within the ice beam's projectile state in [StateDef 531] has a code you modify to change the rate of activation:

Code:
[State VarSet]
type = VarSet
triggerall = random <= 10 ; modify this number
trigger1 = time = 0
v = 0
value = 1

Change the number for the activation chance. The activation chance is 10% (99 due to Random's maximum value of 999) divided by the number of hits Ice Beam deals. The above would deal 10 hits of 1% chance each.

#651  November 12, 2018, 12:25:47 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
#652  November 12, 2018, 01:05:01 pm
    • UK
Heres the newest version of Dunsparce, hopefully this version's Ice Beam looks better. Strength also improved as mentioned before.

1. Dunsparce's Strength still doesn't have any hit-sounds at all when hitting the opponent. However, the attack is much better than before.

2. Ice Beam actually looks better now, though the sound with the beam firing could do with a replacement to sound beam-like. As a sort of visual improvement, maybe you could add a mist-like effect that blows at Dunsparce's mouth in the same way as Vanilluxe's Blizzard, to simulate the beam being quite cold.

#653  November 12, 2018, 03:33:37 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
I could add a mist effect but I wouldn't really know where to start, would it be alright if I used Vanilluxe's effect as a base?
#654  November 12, 2018, 03:41:55 pm
    • UK
I could add a mist effect but I wouldn't really know where to start, would it be alright if I used Vanilluxe's effect as a base?
Yes, definitely! Everything used in this project is open-source.

#655  November 12, 2018, 04:05:10 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Thanks. I've added a mist effect as well as changed some sound effects. It seems like an improvement but I'm still not sure whether the new sound effects are that great, but only one way to find out. New link is here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bac0o2bkc0n01c4/Dunsparce.zip

Also, on an unrelated note, what would be the best way to implement Submission as a move? Its had so many animations and I'm not even sure how it would work. Its for a current WIP of mine (I don't feel like working on Sharpedo right now so I've decided to go on ahead with one of my planned characters. Submission is actually the last move needed for it to be completed in the first version, although it will need some work)
Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:08:19 pm by poiuygfd
#656  November 12, 2018, 04:31:08 pm
    • UK
Thanks. I've added a mist effect as well as changed some sound effects. It seems like an improvement but I'm still not sure whether the new sound effects are that great, but only one way to find out. New link is here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bac0o2bkc0n01c4/Dunsparce.zip

Also, on an unrelated note, what would be the best way to implement Submission as a move? Its had so many animations and I'm not even sure how it would work. Its for a current WIP of mine (I don't feel like working on Sharpedo right now so I've decided to go on ahead with one of my planned characters. Submission is actually the last move needed for it to be completed in the first version, although it will need some work)

1. The sound for Ice Beam hitting the opponent is worse than before. What I meant by "the sound with the beam firing" in the previous comment is the sound that plays when the beam is actually fired, not when the beam is hitting the opponent. The original sound you had for hitting the opponent is better for the job than it is now.

2a. Meanwhile, The sound for Strength doesn't really fit the attack itself. I would suggest the game's own hit sounds of the below:
Code:
hitsound   = F0,0

b. In addition, it plays twice; once right before the attack hits, and another when the attack hits the opponent.

Also, on an unrelated note, what would be the best way to implement Submission as a move? Its had so many animations and I'm not even sure how it would work.

Going by Generation 3's Submission animation, a grab attack would be an option. Check out the way Azumarill's Play Rough works, and then add in the recoil damage at the end.

#657  November 12, 2018, 05:53:13 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
#658  November 12, 2018, 08:00:32 pm
    • UK
Is this a better sound? If not can you please point me in the direction of a good place to get sound effects because I am struggling to think of any myself

Well, it isn't a better sound, but the ones I'm providing you with may or may not be as useful, and it's the only thing I can think of now.

Download the below file and add them to the character:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yijdty34cy9yls9/Temporary_Sound.rar/file

The file named "Weapons_1a.wav" is meant to be played on a loop until the attack ends. The other file is meant to be played as soon as the beam is fired. Both files came from here:

https://www.sounds-resource.com/gamecube/metroidprime/sound/3672/

In addition, Ice Beam deals 60 damage over 20 hits. It should be 90 damage to match the power of the original game itself.

#659  November 12, 2018, 09:45:48 pm
  • SSBU Joker Main
    • UK
Thanks for the sounds, although now I'm confused as to how damage calculation is done. I'm comparing the damage output to Flamethrower in game and they seem about the same, and both do more damage than Thunderbolt which is set as a 90 base power single hit attack... Also, should i replace the hit sound with the sound to be looped or loop that and have the hit sound there too?
#660  November 12, 2018, 10:33:21 pm
    • UK
Thanks for the sounds, although now I'm confused as to how damage calculation is done. I'm comparing the damage output to Flamethrower in game and they seem about the same, and both do more damage than Thunderbolt which is set as a 90 base power single hit attack...

Basically, the original game has every attack being calculated as one hit (except natural, multi-hitting ones like Triple Kick). Attacks such as Flamethrower, and this game's Flash Cannon, are treated as one hit, dealing accurate damage.

However, said calculation doesn't take into account multiple hits, and thus each hit of an attack is calculated individually, with some hits returning more damage than others. In addition, the more hits a move requires (for this game only), the more damage the move deals, despite being accurate to the game. This is the reason why certain attacks deal more damage than other attacks.

As a guideline to this, I would advocate NOT to have too many hits within a single attack, so the calculation doesn't return more damage than necessary. Otherwise, opponents that resist a certain type of attack won't have as much damage reduction as they should have. Ice Beam, if set to the correct value, will deal 90+ damage over 20 hits, which is insane compared to 90+ damage over 10 hits, because there is less returned damage to divide by resistance value.

Also, should i replace the hit sound with the sound to be looped or loop that and have the hit sound there too?

The hit sound you had originally (the freeze-hitting sound) is good enough. I'm talking about the beam's startup that needs the sound. The sounds in the file are meant to be used within Dunsparce and not in the beam itself.

Under normal circumstances, you would use something like this within the character:

Code:
;character state
[State PlaySnd];non-loop
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = time = ?
value = S#,#

[State PlaySnd];loop sound
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = time = ?
value = S#,#
channel = 3
loop = 1

[State StopSnd];stop loop sound
type = StopSnd
trigger1 = time = ?
channel = 3

;Statedef -3

[State StopSnd];stop loop sound
type = StopSnd
trigger1 = stateno != [500,599]
channel = 3

Basically, both sounds need to be played right before the beam comes out. The looping sound is prevented from playing continuously right before the attack ends, but if you're hit out of the move, the Statedef -3 code prevents it from playing repeatedly even while out of the state.