YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2587998 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#8901  March 19, 2019, 11:02:48 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yeah, it sounds like it truly is going the way of playing with anyone anywhere. Hopefully things will go well for that concept, and that it either brings us joy, or be another one that bites the dust.
#8902  March 19, 2019, 11:28:29 pm
Full stream

Jump from any screen to any screen and keep playing the same game
Oh, so we're finally pushing what the Switch did, coo-
the game you own is on our datacenter and we stream it on your screen, no physical console, just our datacenters
God dammit no.
Why can't you just make a powerful hub and allow it to plug on other screens. I mean the thing about playing a game straight from the browser after watching a trailer is a huge marketing stunt, but it's literally only that.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:35:54 pm by Byakko
#8903  March 19, 2019, 11:39:58 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
One of the few questions that most people have what is the price of the console and what games will be included. Which means I’m totally not convinced until we get awnsers. Controller looks pretty good though.
#8904  March 19, 2019, 11:54:24 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala

Why can't you just make a powerful hub and allow it to plug on other screens.
Because then they would have to deal with the exact same limitations as conventional consoles and kiss that split screen 60 fps 4k dream goodbye.
#8905  March 20, 2019, 12:01:51 am
I wouldn't know, I don't play multiplayer games. It was just weird that they specifically opened with two single player games (AC Odyssey and Doom), but yeah, I guess the multiplayer part was rather impressive. It's just not what I'm going to get as a single player gamer, if the biggest selling point is the massive multiplayer games they might as well focus on that, the whole concept up to the very name is based on stadium, that's what they should show right off the bat, I don't think any of they target gamers care about Doom just because it was apparently notorious for "pushing other consoles to their limits". They talked about games with 1000+ players at once, just show that, I'm pretty sure people will immediately understand exactly how powerful that is. Who are they advertising this to ?

(yes I'm just a little bit salty because even though I only first heard about this a few hours ago, I was expecting a push into what the Switch did, carry and plug anywhere, and this entire demo felt like it was just completely missing the point of itself)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:10:44 am by Byakko
#8906  March 20, 2019, 12:32:04 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Now that I look into this, HOLY CRAP DID THEY MISS THE POINT. The play anywhere concept I thought was pulling from the Switch as well, but I can see why there is no console since that would put hardware restrictions on it. I'm a guy that likes physical copies, the only time I don't have them is my Steam/Origin accounts.

This conference feels so damn weird now because no disks, purely download game-streaming, and they show off single player when it surely felt like they wanted to show off the ability to play with anyone anywhere. Now it's leaning towards the it might fail crowd but maybe Google could make it work....
#8907  March 20, 2019, 12:40:52 am
To be fair (to be faiiiiirrrrrr), they clearly showed AC and Doom because of the big pile of money that partnership represents and because someone wanted this contract signed, but, I mean, where the hell did the marketing guys ran off to after that first introduction trailer ? The stadium is in the name and they still decided to create demos from scratch about how pretty the water is, but nothing that makes you think of an actual stadium. The 4 players on multiple screens with one having all the screens on his screen was clearly the big deal here, make more of that !
Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:44:31 am by Byakko
#8908  March 20, 2019, 02:51:07 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
...Why did they not call it the "Stadium"?  They were clearly advertising the history of recreational events, the societal gatherings for games in stadiums.  You were nearly there with the name, so close.  You don't have to try to be fancy, the Xbox is named for being a box with an "X" on it, the PlayStation is a station from where you play, the Nintendo is just the name of the company, etc.

Multiplayer games aren't typically my thing anymore, especially ones focused on that aspect, so this does little for me.  Looking forward to them rebranding Google Gulp as a gamer's energy drink, though.
#8909  March 20, 2019, 03:01:53 am
Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:08:28 am by Byakko
#8910  March 20, 2019, 03:26:19 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
God that's stupid.  I'm not buying more than one, I would interact with a singular device myself, others with their own.

But whatever, it is what it is.
#8911  March 20, 2019, 04:10:48 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Not in the least bit interested.  It's the 2019 equivalent of renting games from Blockbuster; You're paying a fee to play someone else's game that you're not allowed to actually keep.  I mean, I'm the type who always buys the physical version whenever possible anyway since I don't like the idea of my game collection being at the mercy of publishers who may or may not feel like keeping the servers up indefinitely, but this is somehow even less appealing.  You can't even download the games themselves and back them up or anything?  Take cash, place directly in toilet.
#8912  March 20, 2019, 04:14:15 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

God that's stupid.  I'm not buying more than one, I would interact with a singular device myself, others with their own.

You don't know that for sure. Due to the nature of cloud servers, you could be using multiple without knowing it, specially for more demanding games.

Also you're just buying the controller and some sort of subscription service.
#8913  March 20, 2019, 01:23:34 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Konami announces new collections for its 50th anniversary which includes Contra and Castlevania for all platforms including Switch.

A very pleasant surprise if I do say so myself.
#8914  March 20, 2019, 08:07:54 pm

You don't know that for sure. Due to the nature of cloud servers, you could be using multiple without knowing it, specially for more demanding games.

Also you're just buying the controller and some sort of subscription service.

Yeah, there's no physical console, so you're only buying a Steam account and accessing it anywhere without Steam.

... Wait wait wait, what do you mean subscription ? Did they say it would be a subscription ? Don't tell me you don't even buy it once and then keep it for good, you have to keep paying to keep your account or else you lose access to everything you paid so far ?? Is it because "but maintaining all those datacenters on the cloud costs money, so of course you must pay a monthly rent, you understand !" ??

Coming up with one dumb idea and then having to come up with more dumb ideas to make sure the first one can actually work, and they can't even market it properly...
Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:16:50 pm by Byakko
#8915  March 20, 2019, 09:21:50 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

We don't have an official confirmation yet, I'm speculating.

But it's not reasonable to think it'll be a one in a lifetime purchase. What streaming service does that? Google could do it, but charging for almost unlimited computational power upfront would certainly cost a shitload of money.

The thing I'm puzzled is how the users will "buy" games. Google said you can just jump and play something you're watching on youtube, which makes me believe they'll offer a subscription based service like Netflix instead of a conventional game store.
#8916  March 21, 2019, 03:06:40 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
I'll just go ahead, give my two cents towards this conversation and say what Google's trying to pull here isn't smart for business, and it could harm the entire game industry as we know it.

Now hear me out. If Google REALLY wants to end the console wars that have been going on for under 30 YEARS with this "Stadia", they'll need to think of something better than this. I believe that if Google somehow actually pulls through and gets rid of the console wars, then you can bet your microtransaction money that they'll make themselves a monopoly out of that.

It all boils down to competition. The console wars were what made all the different and varied game consoles we know today survive the economy! Tense competition was what made most of these consoles successful, because people went out and BOUGHT them.

What I'm trying to point out about all this is that Google could be at a lose-lose situation with the Stadia. Either they fail to impress and have the console flop harder than the Ouya, OR they successfully kill the console wars (as well as all competition) and suddenly get caught under heavy fire for monopolizing the game industry.

Basically, I don't want this thing to be successful. At all.
#8917  March 21, 2019, 04:21:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
A monopoly would be difficult because google is the third player in the online serviced arena, after amazon and microsoft. If anything they are getting ahead so they can provide some competition in case microsoft decides to go for the same route.
#8918  March 22, 2019, 12:41:32 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

@Byakko:
Full stream
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA[/youtube]
Jump from any screen to any screen and keep playing the same game
Oh, so we're finally pushing what the Switch did, coo-
the game you own is on our datacenter and we stream it on your screen, no physical console, just our datacenters
God dammit no.
Why can't you just make a powerful hub and allow it to plug on other screens.

This is what you want:

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-link-anywhere-stream-from-home/

Steam Link Anywhere is an extension of Steam Link that will enable users to connect to their PCs and play games from anywhere (thus the name), rather than being limited to a local network. It's compatible with both the Steam Link hardware and app, and will be rolled out automatically (and freely) to everyone who owns the hardware with beta firmware installed, the Android app beta, or the Raspberry Pi app. You'll also need to be enrolled in the Steam client beta, and have the latest version installed.   

Assuming you've got all that covered, you'll see an "Other Computer" option on the screen when searching for computers to connect to via Steam Link. Select that, follow the instructions, and you'll be set. Valve didn't provide specific network requirements but said you'll need "a high upload speed from your computer and strong network connection to your Steam Link device" in order to use it.

Except you have to buy the hub (i.e. a gaming pc) yourself.

#8919  March 22, 2019, 02:14:18 am
Okay, looking around about it, it's still pretty vague since it's only in beta state, but you have your home PC that must be powerful enough, you put the Steam box on it, and then the player can go anywhere with his smartphone or tablet or whatever, and remotely connect to the box in your home through the Internet (by VPN or whatever with a specialized app by Steam) as long as your home has a good enough connection, and you're seeing on your local screen the game that's being computed in your home ? And it should allow multiple players to connect to the same game to play on their own screen ? So basically almost the same as Stadia, except not computed on the cloud with things you don't actually own.
Not exactly what I was thinking about, but see, that's evolution in the right direction, that's nice ! And that's more in line with what people expect of that kind of futuristic technology, your hub is at your home with your entire library and you can access it from anywhere, rather than everything losing all physical aspects and moving in the cloud and you own nothing but your access account.
I'm more of a "personal console" point of view thinking of an extension of the smartphone that you carry around that has everything you play, I know a couple years back there was something about plugging a smartphone on a support and it literally becomes your PC tower, just plug the screen and the mouse+keyboard on the support, but that didn't make a lot of noise and it was one specific brand of smartphone. The way I see it, you just need the computing core + library to keep with you, then what's completely variable is the visual interface and the input interface, you can plug any screen with any input method on it in real time.
Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:25:56 am by Byakko
#8920  March 22, 2019, 03:12:19 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yup, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. The only problems I can think of is stability, it boiling down to just loading the games (the first thing I think about is that Scott Pilgrim game), and just having a reliable connection when it comes to playing the games.