YesNoOk

Dude Mugen: a new MUGEN IDE (Read 51586 times)

Started by Jesuszilla, February 04, 2017, 02:50:11 am
Share this topic:
Dude Mugen: a new MUGEN IDE
#1  February 04, 2017, 02:50:11 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/

I wasn't joking. Yeah, it's just a shot of the UI and me working on it... there's no logic yet, but UI design is in the works.

What is Dude Mugen?
Dude Mugen is an open source MUGEN IDE (integrated development environment) written in C#. Basically, a new Fighter Factory.

What features will it have?
The goal is to have all of Fighter Factory's features minus scripting (it is open source, after all), plus built-in code snippets for things such as Vans's command buffering system, as well as the buffering system converter. It will also have a modern UI inspired by Windows 10, using Visual Studio icons provided by Microsoft (thanks, Microsoft!).

Also, whatever you ask for (as long as it's reasonable)! No, auto-CLSN won't be coming back anytime soon.

Why Dude Mugen?
Because Fighter Factory, while still great, could use some work. I've looked at the source code before and found it to be very hard to read. Not to mention, VirtuallTek still hasn't released the source code for the latest FF3 yet! So rather than use an outdated, hard-to-read code base, I figured it was better to start from scratch.

The biggest problem with most MUGEN tools is they've been made by people who have little to no experience with the engine. With that said, VirtuallTek is a true professional for addressing our concerns as much as he did without having made a single MUGEN creation, and that's fucking awesome. But he just doesn't have the experience some of us have, the frustrations, the "I wish I could automate this task," etc. and that's why some features such as the throw creator just don't work like we want. They've only imagined and heard of our frustrations, but they haven't actually experienced them. Think of this project as "by the customer, for the customer."

I want to reduce the redundancy as much as possible and make the tasks easier for me, you, and ultimately, lead to better creations, because I hate nothing more than wasting time on tedious or repetitive tasks. My motto is, "If there's a way to automate it, do it."

Plus I just love programming. Projects like this keep me busy in MUGEN downtime.

What happened to the cloud tool?
This is the basis for it. Google Docs started out the same way. It's easier for me to build the UI and stuff in Visual Studio in C# and XAML than it is in a web interface. I can drag and drop controls; web coding isn't quite that simple, or at least, not if you want good results.

How can I contribute?
By submitting pull requests on GitHub! I'll be pushing builds after each session I'm finished working on this, but don't worry, I can handle merges too!

When will a working version be released?
I have no clue! This is a hobby, and work can get busy at times, so I can't promise a steady schedule. I'm also really bad at time estimation, especially since I have other projects going on, whether it be a character or my web page that's coming soon.

Where did the name come from?
aracdboy

So that's pretty much it. What features would you like to see? Would you like to contribute to this project? Any other feedback? Let me know everything here!
Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:53:33 am by Jesuszilla
Re: Dude Mugen: a new MUGEN IDE
#2  February 04, 2017, 09:39:07 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Would it be reasonable to ask you to fix the auto-CLSN feature then? Because the only reason why I don't like the original auto-CLSN is because of how incredibly ass it is.
Because yeah, just imagine having to set up CLSN for a 100 frame animation yourself. Would be pretty tedious and monotonous, huh? Would waste time that you could have instead used to maybe code another attack or another system feature or something.
Suggestion on how to improve it: First tell the program how many blue CLSN boxes you want to have per frame (and make sure to limit the number of boxes to 3 or 5 to keep it reasonable) and then make the program do part of the magic, so that the user can simply tweak the boxes himself and add red CLSN boxes himself where necesary.
Would definitely waste less time than setting it up yourself while also encouraging people to still touch up the boxes afterwards instead of being dependant on auto-CLSN 100%.
But hey, that's just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree if you want to.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#3  February 04, 2017, 11:40:29 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's not needed. What is needed is the ability to set a template and choose which groups get them with checkboxes. So you can set the standing clsns then apply it to all. Then make crouching clsns and apply it to the groups that are crouching. Then repeat for in the air.

Also the ability to duplicate group clsn data. Make a 80 frame move and set the clsn for frame 1 then apply that to the rest of the group so you can tweak it easier. It's annoying to do manually as typically the animation will lead back to the frame 1 clsns again.
#4  February 04, 2017, 03:14:49 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
man, this is very very interesting.
Is it possible to add a field, to edit sprites inside .sff, as well as in FF3? ... a kind of mspaint, however, with more resources?

good luck and sucess
#5  February 04, 2017, 03:22:53 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
seems pretty good... following
#6  February 04, 2017, 03:50:33 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Do you have something in store for stage/add on makers? Having to use .bat files to test my stuff instead of being able to run it straight from FF pisses me off. I'd also be be nice to have tools to add animations and BG elements/controllers to .def files.
#7  February 04, 2017, 04:52:23 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Another air improvement would be to auto index multiple sprites. Like if I put 800,0 and select 800,10 as my last frame it'd add 800,0-10 numbered correctly for me.
#8  February 04, 2017, 06:20:26 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
So, this is gonna be more user-friendly with creating characters?  If so, then I'm all in on this.  Can you make it so it can read .png sprites as well, because I'm not big on .pcx based image files.
#9  February 04, 2017, 06:26:37 pm
    • USA
Why would this not support .png when even FF3 does?
#10  February 04, 2017, 07:19:44 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Do you have something in store for stage/add on makers? Having to use .bat files to test my stuff instead of being able to run it straight from FF pisses me off. I'd also be be nice to have tools to add animations and BG elements/controllers to .def files.

Of course! The plan is to also have a full-fledged stage editor, minus things like deltas (though this could change if someone comes along and adds that feature; this is open source after all).

That's not needed. What is needed is the ability to set a template and choose which groups get them with checkboxes. So you can set the standing clsns then apply it to all. Then make crouching clsns and apply it to the groups that are crouching. Then repeat for in the air.
You mean CLSNs for sprite groups? Seems feasible.

Also the ability to duplicate group clsn data. Make a 80 frame move and set the clsn for frame 1 then apply that to the rest of the group so you can tweak it easier. It's annoying to do manually as typically the animation will lead back to the frame 1 clsns again.
... you mean MUGEN's CLSNDefault? Because that's exactly how it works.
#11  February 04, 2017, 07:42:19 pm
Not like CLSNdefault, more like having the same CLSNs in all frames (not default) that you can adjust in each frame without worrying about the other frames.
#12  February 04, 2017, 07:48:31 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
^that
#13  February 04, 2017, 08:07:06 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
... but CLSNDefault works exactly like that. You set CLSNDefault for the frames you want with the same CLSN, then on frames where you want them to be different, you use CLSN2 again and it overrides the CLSNDefault.

Unless you mean "copy previous CLSN so I can now edit it" or something.
#14  February 04, 2017, 08:27:55 pm
  • Idea!
    • USA
#15  February 04, 2017, 09:32:37 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
FF clsn editor works fine, open the notepad in the animation and copy paste, its too easy
I can edit all my chars clsn data in about 30 mins it works fine as is

please no auto clsn, it doesn't matter if you can tell the app how many boxes to place
It wont be correct, an apps never going to know the perfect placement for hit and hurt
Boxes, you gotta do those by trial and error until they feel right.
#16  February 04, 2017, 09:37:15 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
I'm not adding auto-CLSN. Never will. It was shit when Fighter Factory did it and it was removed for a reason (it led to really bad practices).
#17  February 04, 2017, 09:41:01 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah,  nothing I'm suggesting is for that. Though I guess it could be used to do such :(

Also "copy previous clsn so I can edit it"
#18  February 04, 2017, 09:42:21 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
Yeah, that's easy to add; it'll be in the animations editor! (plus I think FF3 had it?)
#19  February 04, 2017, 09:52:40 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
FF3 has previous Clsn. I like to add all frames then add the same clsns for them all then edit. In FF3 I have to either copy paste clsn data multiple times or press previous clsn many times.
#20  February 04, 2017, 10:03:33 pm
I feel your "pain", hahah! ;D It's really annoying to do that.