YesNoOk

Everything Anime and Manga Thread (Read 2412118 times)

Started by ( ゚ o゚) It's Urza!, August 27, 2007, 02:30:58 am
Share this topic:
Re: Everything Anime and Manga Thread
#12121  April 15, 2018, 08:28:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
@Japanese Jesus:

What are the best manga at the moment?

thanks for the A2A.
It depends on tastes, and also on what do you mean by moment. Manga is big, so there are a lot of titles for a lot of tastes, manga completely overcrowds anime and that's a good thing.

for me there is already finished manga, and ongoing manga. about ongoing manga, there is manga that just started and there is manga that has compelte arcs. About finished manga, there's "forgotten manga" and manga that feels current because it's currently getting "buzz", usually an anime adaptation.

This being a fighting game forum and I aprticulrly liking fighting manga, first let me suggest holy land, it's not currently popular by itself, but it's a very  good manga ; with how popular mma has become lately (with the hollywood movies), it's a very nice and realistic martialarts manga , no super human feats, and decent coming of age history; plus the characters ages, if you put them in context (in the live action version the MC play kof2002 in teh arcades) make them close to us , so it has a fun nostalgia factor.

Another martial arts manga that is on the topof my list is tenjo tenge, funny thing it's anime came out clsoe to ikkitousen, but it was censored while ikkitousen upped the fanservice, and somehow ikkitousen was the one that became being popular even though tenjo tenge is the superior one. Tenjo tenge is a supernatural martial arts manga, but it never gets to a point where the power levels make it so the strongest chaarcter can't be defeated by the weakest one; so it keeps it grunded, I feel the supernatural aspect as a way to keep the fights interesting if anythiing. be warned that this is a rpetty adult amnga, both in tematic and in the sex and violence sense (the anime got sanitized to shounen jump levels, lol); the plot starts simple, gets interesting, then ends a little bit too convoluted, and it has it's ncie share of surprises and twists.

And talking about old manga that has become relevant again (like jojo) there is vinland saga, the best christian manga and also the best viking manga; it starts as a cool viking/fighting manga; a tale of revenge and politics, with good action , good art and good plot; and when it becomes christian (one of it's main characters becomes so) it adds a new layer to the plot that makes it feel fresh again. It is getting ana ie soon, so that is why it will become relevant again, hopefully.

now, about a compeltey random "new" manga that I enjoy is "Danberu nan kiro moteru? " which is a cute girls lifting cute weights manga. Well, the manga is exactly what the premise says, it's a school club that exercises , every chapter is dedicated to an exercise concept, a fun read. It also crossesover with kengan asura, which is a typical hot blooded fighting/martial arts manga, so there is that for it.

And talking about "at the moment" I can't ignore the isekai genre; which is a mdoern dude being sent to a medieval fantasy world. Most of them originated as web novels rather than mangas, and the quality si all over the place; anime wise we have overlord, GATE, rezero as good adaptations, while there are also a bunch of bad ones. manga wise, the GATE adaptation is good, rezero is weird as they went one manga series per arc due to how popular it is. Tho, regarding the genre most adaptations are hit or miss, some have cool concepts but become pure generic trash, a lot of times the art is very amauterish. Manga wise we have stuff like rising of he shield hero, which is the one that got me into the genre; if you don't mind amateurish art it's a decent read, BUt this one is getting an anime soon.

The good isekai that is NOT getting an anime soon is jobless reincarnation / mushoku tensei. it's about a 34 years old guy whom dies while trying to save some high school kids from geting run over by a bus; to en dup reincarnating in a fantasy world. since he wasted his previous life being a shutin otaku, now he wants to live a life that he won't regret , but he still has to get over his traumas. the manga is very well made, and it already covers a decent amount of arcs (best grandma already appears), so this also is a good read.

Adn to end this up, I can hardly talk about manga withut recocomending the umineko manga, translation wise it ended one year ago (the core arcs); it's mistery murder (think sherlock holmes) and perfectly solvable (do not think sherlock holmes but poirot), the first 4 arcs are all about asking teh question and laying up the puzzle, then you can make your theories about what happened,  or keep on reading the answer arcs to know what happened. wile it started as a novel ad it also has an anime, quality and pacing wise the manga is the superior version; the anime is too rushed and the VN is too fluffy, the manga has the perfect balance. the only thign I have against the manga is that it lacks the great music.

and well, this is kind of a long post, I still feel like posting more about this, but it's better if you mention a genre and or another criteria so I can filter this up more.

#12122  April 16, 2018, 10:14:13 pm
Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific, my mistake - I wanted to know what your favorite new or on-going manga are, but older ones are fine too. I am looking for good manga to read in general. Also, I didn't think you were into action or fighting manga, I thought you were more of a school days/slice of life/romance/comedy person so that is what I was looking for.

I've actually read the first 4 episodes of the Umineko VN (Umineko no Naku Koro ni), and some of the manga as well. I have a friend who needed help in solving the mystery so I was reading it to help him find answers... but alas, the VN is way too long and my attention drifted elsewhere. The anime is a poor adaptation from what I've heard.

From what you've recommended, Danberu Nan Kiro Moteru? seems most interesting so I will check that one out.
#12123  April 16, 2018, 10:49:07 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
ah yeah, i got started into this whole anime business because of the street fighter and fatal fury animes back in the mid 90s; then got into stuff like akira and gits before the early 2ks, slice of life as much as I enjoy it as a means to relax did not exist until the mid2ks witht eh exception of azumanga.

The umineko mang ais good,  I lareayd said perfect pacing, also arcs 7 and 8 are even more explicit than the vn, so you pretty much get the answers in 8th.

About good slice of life/comedy/romance ... my favorite comedy romance manga is maison ikkoku which is oold, slice of life I am reading goblin is very strong (weird isekai, where the mc is a monster, not the summoned person ), DTED just finished being translated  and I liked how it went into developing the mc, though in some ways it is very similar to oku hiroya's meteru no kimochi. Isekai is doing slice fo life, but it has yet to find it's "killed app", I also like minami ke, because having the 3 sisters being the MC makes it's dynamic very fresh when they randomly combine their friends, but it only gets a few new chapters per year.

now, covering all 4 bases  a good  "school days/slice of life/romance/comedy" is relife, it's about a 27 years old guy that gets reset to 17 years so he has a second chance at life, back to high school, it's also pretty recent as both the anime and manga just ended this year.
#12124  April 22, 2018, 05:23:46 am
  • I must be allergic to money cos I never have it
New Bleach Live Action trailer

Make what you want of it.

Revanto ;P
3d rocks!
#12125  April 22, 2018, 05:31:04 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yeah, poor Renji, that's the thing about anime hair.  It only really looks right in anime where people apparently secrete their own hair gel.  Just being a ponytail without the spiky bits doesn't really work quite as well.  And I still don't see Rukia's actress pulling off the character.  But I'm still cautiously optimistic for some reason.  At least it still feels like early Bleach did.  Which was the best part of Bleach, so that's good.

Is that high-five scene halfway through something I'm forgetting from the source?  I don't recall, like, Ichigo trying to teach Rukia how to act modern in the real world, or whatever that scene is conveying.
#12126  April 22, 2018, 06:03:19 am
i actually had a hair like that when i was in high school. i used this flexable head band you can tie around your ponytail and would look like circular spiky hair. it was popular around the early and mid 00's.
#12127  April 22, 2018, 11:14:05 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
#12128  April 22, 2018, 11:52:09 am
it doesn't look good. they keep choosing the most unfit mangas to adapt to live action, it's way too fantasy to work.
those costumes and giant swords looked very prop-ish (if that is a word).

i always thought that adopting mangas (shounen in particular) into live action defeats the purpose of them being mangas. they work because all of what happens in them can't work in a live tv show or a movie (but may work in an animation tho). its an art medium that is fueled by imagination more than anything.

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12129  April 22, 2018, 03:01:04 pm
meh this shows got produced cause studios only listen to sale numbers. bleach is popular well was popular.
#12130  April 22, 2018, 03:12:35 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
 One Punch Man would have worked out way better  than that in Live Action or as a movie adaption instead of Bleach but hey is there any adaptation that isnt a shounen show?
#12131  April 22, 2018, 03:19:12 pm
Stuff like Death Note
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#12132  April 22, 2018, 07:56:44 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
But Death Note is shonen...

meh this shows got produced cause studios only listen to sale numbers. bleach is popular well was popular.
"was popular" is an understatement, Bleach pretty much lost all relevance when the anime was cancelled.
#12133  April 22, 2018, 08:03:17 pm
    • USA
Jeez, you guys are just beaming with optimism about this.  Or maybe I should take a hint that this is never going to work.  Eh.

It looks better than Fullmetal Alchemist, which in turn looked better than Attack on Titan.  Progression of any small measure is still progression, I'd like to look at it like that.
#12134  April 22, 2018, 08:47:18 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I'm gonna be the guy that says it doesn't look too bad

It also looks like it took a hatchet to the supporting cast which should make the story extremely simple if they stick to their guns

"was popular" is an understatement, Bleach pretty much lost all relevance when the anime was cancelled.

Bleach was dead to the majority of people (including me) the second Aizen was resolved
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#12135  April 22, 2018, 08:58:21 pm
    • USA
Bleach was one series that in hindsight could have used additional contributors in crafting its story, because yeah, Aizen pretty much was built to be the end-all villain, not the halfway point.  And if that was a decision on Kubo's part that he failed to execute to a better degree or a corporate decision to continue the story after he lost interest, I dunno the whole story, but it's clear the heart behind the story just gave out at that point.

Aizen comes across to me as the equivalent to Orochimaru done wrong.
#12136  April 22, 2018, 10:42:40 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
One Punch Man would have worked out way better  than that in Live Action or as a movie adaption instead of Bleach but hey is there any adaptation that isnt a shounen show?

lots of seinein and jousei get adapted to live action, I think we normally get one per season.
Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:54:00 pm by Bastard Mami
#12137  April 26, 2018, 07:42:13 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Berserk 356 is out.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:36:10 pm by President Devon
#12138  April 26, 2018, 08:40:19 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I hope this battle doesn't drag for too long and we get back to Guts in a few chapters.

The giant's battle standards are pretty cool, if not very hygienic...
#12139  May 02, 2018, 06:23:38 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:28:47 am by Bastard Mami
#12140  May 03, 2018, 04:44:58 am
Guess I need to check that out eventually.
--
More stuff from this season.

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory - I'm happy that I decided to watch this just after rewatching the previous seasons because they waste no time in picking up where TSR left off. Not much room for light hearted banter so far since the story has been full on life or death crisis mode. It's up there with the best TSR had to offer. The updated visuals look fine to me, CG and all. The slightly modernized character designs look good and the changes are barely noticeable unless your really scanning for it. Not too keen on losing 2D Armslaves ,but I'll admit that the 3D models and the way they've directed the fight scenes are above average for a typical late night show. No arbitrary frame cutting either. Good.

Hinamatsuri - I was a bit cold on this one at the beginning ,but the subsequent episodes have been hilarious. I love how well the show been straddling being  absurd, comedic and heart warming all at once, especially when you consider how potentially disturbing everyone's situation is.

Steins Gate 0 - Was going to skip this one because I wasn't the biggest fan of the original, yet have been actually looking forward to it each week after checking it out on a whim. Sullen Okabe is much easier to swallow and sympathize with. The story setup is also an interesting one which I'd very much love to sit through.

Golden Kamuy - the odd duo of a Japanese soldier and an Ainu girl has been fairly entertaining so far. The little sprinkles Ainu cultural info are welcome and the adventure keeps getting better as more characters enter the story. Yeah, the show could look a little better, but it hasn't really dampened my interest (those cg animals though...). Looking forward to more of the Immortal Saichi and Granpa's Asshole.

Caligula - I still don't know what to make of this one. It feels like a Persona flavored version of the Matrix and whether that's a good or bad thing is out there. Needs a bit more fleshing out.