YesNoOk

Helios' Sprites (Read 9312 times)

Started by Helios., July 06, 2017, 01:14:11 am
Helios' Sprites
#1  July 06, 2017, 01:14:11 am
This will likely be a very-slow-to-be-updated topic.

As some of you know I use unorthodox methods to get 2D sprites made, and as it stands I'll probably need feedback from people that still do things the traditional way.  Due to how I do things a lot of these sprites may well turn into completed projects (it would be a waste of time for me otherwise, really), unless I lose motivation somewhere along the way.  Eventually I may even switch over to fully-sprited character commissions if I am happy enough with my quality levels.

Right now I have this from a few nights ago that I cleaned up a bit tonight.

I'm wondering if more advanced artists would change anything I've done with the sprite itself.  I'm looking to improve in all ways.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:22:47 pm by Helios.
Re: Helios' Sprites
#2  July 06, 2017, 01:53:41 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Maybe you could detail the feathers and body so that it could have a more feathery texture?

Something like this maybe: , (see the wings) but on a more simplified level.

Top of the head could use some sel-out. Maybe some outlines as well. I'm not sure if the way it is right now is intentional or not.

For the legs, maybe accentuate the outline color so that it sticks out more, like the darkest yellow color? (Are the legs also that thick? If not, maybe you could make it a tiny bit skinnier?)

It looks nice, what kind of bird is it? I've never seen it before (and I'm crazy about birds in general, heh).
This is a generic forum signature.
#3  July 06, 2017, 02:09:28 am
Thank you for the feedback.

And that would be a giant love bird given how my ideas are generally as unusual as my methods.  Intended to be a massive boss-type character at some point in time.

Lines are intentional, but I have mixed feelings about them, so I may toy around with them some more.  I'll also be adding some blue segments later on.  As it stands now I can add or remove things whenever I want.  Legs are thicker to hold the weight of the massive body.
___

Added some blue and modified how the lines are done.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:22:28 pm by Helios.
#4  July 09, 2017, 01:49:38 pm
I really like how clean it looks but I agree with Hatter about adding some feather-like texture to the bird. Nevertheless, great job. :)
#5  July 16, 2017, 04:18:28 am

I'd like to say that the feather texture is kind-of there already, but only really shows when the lighting decides to catch it.  I'm sure it'll get more visible as things animate.
#6  July 18, 2017, 04:38:47 am

Changed the shading a bit to reflect details a little better, scaled things somewhat, and starting to animate things.  Ignore the palette as it is just my CS.