Re: Yamcha
#141  January 06, 2017, 02:18:05 am
  • Fate's Persona
  • Words hurt more than blades.
~ A swift blade makes monsters tame. ~
#142  January 06, 2017, 02:31:15 am
  • Not for sale
Yea, I figured that would be the general idea. I'm just suggesting a method to offer a significant amount of control over the Sokidan while still keeping it as a single input and avoiding over-complicated controls and leaving him in a frozen state.
#143  January 06, 2017, 02:47:32 am
  • Fate's Persona
Kind of like Hol Horse's shots in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure H.o.F.?

#144  January 06, 2017, 03:05:10 am
  • Not for sale
From what I can recall, yea. I don't have much experience with him in that game. I think what I'm suggesting is just a more diverse rendition of his shots.
#145  January 06, 2017, 03:09:53 am
  • Fate's Persona
Here,does this preserve your suggestion?  even a bit?

https://sendvid.com/v4nx6fcn
video made by me

If so,Yamcha's coder might need to make a bit long code for all posibilities/angles
#146  January 06, 2017, 03:21:10 am
  • Not for sale
Oh, wow. I didn't realize he could angle his shots in so many ways and at multiple points.

My suggestion is a bit more concise. You would have two chances to determine the direction of the Sokidan. Once with the strength of the attack, which will determine the initial angle and then with your following direction you hold during the start-up of the attack. I also, personally, wouldn't want to projectiles to change directions as sharply as they do with Hol.

Let me see if I can rough out a little diagram, maybe that will help clarify.

EDIT: Excuse the roughness of this.

Holding forward/back instead of up/down would see the projectile stay on its standard course, but increase or decrease its speed, respectively.
Obviously the degrees and points of change can be altered. But hopefully that illustrates the idea well enough.

All in all that leaves 15 possible paths/speeds for the projectile to take (before the EX version), without requiring the move to have multiple inputs.
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:45:01 am by AugustAPC
#147  January 06, 2017, 10:12:58 am
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
huh, these are some pretty good ideas, tbh I never thought of how to make the sokidan work more than just a super, but hey we'll take these into consideration, I like these ideas alot.
#148  January 06, 2017, 11:11:36 am
  • Fate's Persona
@AugustAPC:

The illustration and the suggestion of yours is solid enough.
But that might be hard on balancing or  having Yamcha protected unless it's shot at high speed.
The combos might be super complex with this one  :thumbsup:
Maybe you can do a complex route of 4 steps at most,like zig zag from top to bottom (HP to LP)
but that's just me.
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:28:25 pm by AgentofDestiny
#149  January 06, 2017, 12:26:10 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Oh, wow. I didn't realize he could angle his shots in so many ways and at multiple points.

My suggestion is a bit more concise. You would have two chances to determine the direction of the Sokidan. Once with the strength of the attack, which will determine the initial angle and then with your following direction you hold during the start-up of the attack. I also, personally, wouldn't want to projectiles to change directions as sharply as they do with Hol.

Let me see if I can rough out a little diagram, maybe that will help clarify.

EDIT: Excuse the roughness of this.

Holding forward/back instead of up/down would see the projectile stay on its standard course, but increase or decrease its speed, respectively.
Obviously the degrees and points of change can be altered. But hopefully that illustrates the idea well enough.

All in all that leaves 15 possible paths/speeds for the projectile to take (before the EX version), without requiring the move to have multiple inputs.

thats way too much space to be useable, specially on a fast paced fight.you would probably do better with the division of paths happening sooner in the pathline.

Its easier to ( and this is what I gave balmsold ages ago, dunno if hes going to use it or ignore it) a shooting motion, the basic fireball stops a second in front of his hand and then rapidy inputting directions defines how fast the tiny basic fireball will move on the next seconds before exiting the screen. Hol horse had that for his basic bullet shot , it was low damaging but enabled him to perform some really cool motions.

The normal version would be more interesting combo wise imo if it did specific trajectories but allowed yamcha freedom to move, enabling him to use it to setup attacks. ( for instance right left right left right and exit) racking up 5 hits on a pre set course

For sokidan itself ( the hyper) my preferred format was that each button sent it in a direction ( like yours) but when hitting it created a mini cinematic where the fireball moved around on itself racking up hits , but only after contact.
#150  January 06, 2017, 12:31:07 pm
  • Not for sale
The illustration and the suggestion of yours is solid enough.
But that might be hard on balancing or  having Yamcha protected unless it's shot at high speed.
The combos might be super complex with this one  :thumbsup:
Maybe you can do a complex route of 4 steps at most,like zig zag from top to bottom (HP to LP)
but that's just me.

I imagine it would work like a basic hadoken. Again, since you input the direction immediately after you do the motion, during the startup of the attack, it could have just as little recovery as any standard fireball. Wouldn't leave Yamcha any more exposed than any other projectile.
NRS is a good place to look for this mechanic, as they have several projectiles and zoning utilities that are altered by additional direction presses after pressing the punch/kick.
https://youtu.be/nUhU9JGhFug?t=28s
Raven, in this video, for example, changes the distance in which she summons her pillars by holding different directions. It doesn't add any additional recovery. It's really just one motion QFC+P+F.
These moves do lead to really cool combo potential. Sometimes you can combo them into each other if you place them correctly in a juggle state. An idea might be if Yamcha landed an upward angled Sokidan on an airborne opponent, putting them in a falling juggle state, then followed it up with a straight Sokidan with increased speed so it caught the falling opponent. Or maybe he could even fit a middle-angled Sokidan in between.

thats way too much space to be useable, specially on a fast paced fight.you would probably do better with the division of paths happening sooner in the pathline.

Yea, that diagram was never intended to be accurate as to what I would want the divisions to be, just to illustrate the idea. I would actually prefer to blasts to curve early rather than just change angles immediately.

Its easier to ( and this is what I gave balmsold ages ago, dunno if hes going to use it or ignore it) a shooting motion, the basic fireball stops a second in front of his hand and then rapidy inputting directions defines how fast the tiny basic fireball will move on the next seconds before exiting the screen. Hol horse had that for his basic bullet shot , it was low damaging but enabled him to perform some really cool motions.

Easier in what regard? Coding or execution? From what I understand, you're suggesting something like Makoto from Blazblue, where she can place a stationary projectile and then launch it with a separate command.
I find this actually a LOT harder to use, especially in zoning, than keeping it one, concise motion. I can't stress enough that performing this is literally no harder nor does it require anymore startup or recovery than any standard projectile, if one can emulate the mechanics found in Injustice/Mortal Kombat.

For sokidan itself ( the hyper) my preferred format was that each button sent it in a direction ( like yours) but when hitting it created a mini cinematic where the fireball moved around on itself racking up hits , but only after contact.

Yea, if it does become a hyper, that's probably exactly how I'd imagine it as well. I'm just really spitballing an idea. I played a LOT of Raven in Injustice, not only because she's my favorite character of all time, from any form of media, but I found myself really enjoying her zoning which incorporated the distance altering mechanic.  It just struck me that this could potentially work for Yamcha, so I threw it out there.

I feel like I may have over-explained it at this point, lol, but it seemed like there may have been a little confusion lingering. Anyway! I'm pretty sure it's fully spelled out, now. If it's something Balm is interested in, that's great. If not, I'm sure the end result will be just as good.
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:55:11 pm by AugustAPC
#151  January 06, 2017, 12:34:10 pm
  • Fate's Persona
@Iced:

Hol's shots are indeed cool and easy to do
But SB might be done like that,i understand it's
it's gameplay value,but personally i like it
as manual.

But i don't think the Spirit Ball is as fast as bullet
A small nitpick yes but im speaking dragonball-wise

EDIT:
Raven, in this video, for example, changes the distance in which she summons her pillars by holding different directions. It doesn't add any additional recovery. It's really just one motion QFC+P+F.
These moves do lead to really cool combo potential. Sometimes you can combo them into each other if you place them correctly in a juggle state. An idea might be if Yamcha landed an upward angled Sokidan on an airborne opponent, putting them in a falling juggle state, then followed it up with a straight Sokidan with increased speed so it caught the falling opponent. Or maybe he could even fit a middle-angled Sokidan in between.

That settles it people,if Balm allows this,Yamcha becomes my favourite Z2 character.
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:44:14 pm by AgentofDestiny
#152  January 06, 2017, 12:44:37 pm
  • Where's Gohan!
    • USA
    • E_Harrington19@hotmail.com
I wanted to add that dive kick  but then I saw that piccolo and gohan had it and I was like, well I need to do something different.

What about Taokaka's (Blaze Blue) diving claw attacks?
#153  January 06, 2017, 12:50:09 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Hol's shots are indeed cool and easy to do

But i don't think the Spirit Ball is as fast as bullet
A small nitpick yes but im speaking dragonball-wise

I adapt based on gameplay preferably  not on the show, the show is just my basis for working the gameplay into. That specific move while homing wouldnt be called a spirit ball as much as it would be called "Tracer fire" or something. it would draw thematically from the sokidan while leaving sokidan still open as a lv1 that can be more impactful.
#154  January 06, 2017, 12:53:03 pm
  • Fate's Persona
What about Taokaka's (Blaze Blue) diving claw attacks?

@Smurfyeah:

Clever,makes it look unique.
But i think Yamcha has a lot of "claw" attacks planned already
but i'm not inside Balm's computer and head so i don't know.

Also,how is Chichi doing ad her.......staff?  (heh)
I really want to hear more about her.
Answer if you want only.

I adapt based on gameplay preferably  not on the show, the show is just my basis for working the gameplay into. That specific move while homing wouldnt be called a spirit ball as much as it would be called "Tracer fire" or something. it would draw thematically from the sokidan while leaving sokidan still open as a lv1 that can be more impactful.

I was speaking about this move but yeah spirit ball as lvl1 and super spirit ball as lvl2 super is good enough.

Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:33:57 pm by AgentofDestiny
#155  January 06, 2017, 01:01:15 pm
  • Not for sale
The hyper could always be SHIN Sokidan. "Shin" makes everything cooler.

(I'll also echo the sentiment about Chichi. Waiting on her sprite project thread!) *HINT HINT*
#156  January 06, 2017, 01:05:54 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Guys be a little more respectful for Balmsold, if you want to talk about chichi go to the thread for chichi and ask there. Dont cross contaminate threads dudes.

Also Im sure smurfyeah will appreciate the posts.
#157  January 06, 2017, 01:12:05 pm
  • Fate's Persona
Actually,there is no thread for Smurfyeah's Chichi as far as i know :/

And sorry,this is intended as the last Chichi post here.

Back to Yamcha,say the move is implemented as this,would or should
ki blasts destroy the spirit ball,gameplay-wise. in db im sure they wouldn't
#158  January 06, 2017, 04:00:38 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
don't worry guys, I always have in consideration all these suggestions, I'm gonna draw these and some others I have in mind that could work just as good.
#159  January 06, 2017, 05:20:48 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
sorry for double post, here it is version 1 is supposed to cast the sokidan like a normal ki blast  that can later on be used to expand the combos, should hit around 3 times and then explode, since its not a big one it shouldn't deal that much damage.
I'm not sure about it , but I was planning on giving yamcha some kind of double sokidan "ni sokidan" which he controls and deals more damage and act differently from one another , of course if yamcha is attacked these should dissapear.

#160  January 06, 2017, 07:48:13 pm
  • Fate's Persona
I was planning on giving yamcha some kind of double sokidan.

I thought you said you didn't think about any of that...
why are you saying you were planning?

Naah i'm just messing with you :P

But that seems nice enough,plus i think the three motions should be controlled via command/input