YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 3116146 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#5181  May 26, 2015, 08:23:26 pm
demongorne, if you read MotorRoach's feedback (and mine too) and tried to follow it, instead of caring about small details no one cares about, you would improve much more. Just saying.

In case you missed our feedback:
Spoiler: all the feedback you're missing/ignoring (click to see content)
You should start fixing the first thing before doing the next one.

What I noticed about the new animation: now the arms jump up and down. No real improvement overall.

But keep ignoring us if you want. :P
#5182  May 26, 2015, 08:49:19 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
The main problem with his AoF to CvS animations is that he keeps trying to be way too loyal to how the AoF animations were. Ryo's stance was clearly just silly.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make it accurate to how Ryo's design was in that game, but the animations in that game clearly don't have the best movement, and are beyond outdated. Demongorne needs to realize the faults of the original AoF animations, otherwise he'll just be making in the exact same problems that the Art of Fighting's sprites had.

The most notable differences between AoF and CvS, in terms of movement, would be that the characters in CvS style flow a lot more naturally, and they use a whole lot of more frames. Here's a comparison of AoF Todoh with CvS Todoh:

See? The differences between the animations are night and day. It's clear that SNK didn't put too much effort on how the characters moved in the first AoF, and if Capcom just used the same stiff movement for Todoh's stance in CvS2, it would've only looked unreasonably terrible in the CvS sprite style. Instead, Capcom took some liberties with Todoh and made him have a much more reasonable fighting stance, that uses a good amount of frames and animates pretty smoothly. You should follow this as a sample, not just recreate the faults that the AoF animations had.

Shit
#5183  May 26, 2015, 09:49:46 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/

Ok I fixed some issues in the upper side like  the head and shoulders and redid legs but I can't know the exact animation in cvs so tried to make an animation according the original aof stance

#5184  May 26, 2015, 09:58:18 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Ok I fixed some issues in the upper side like  the head and shoulders and redid legs but I can't know the exact animation in cvs so tried to make an animation according the original aof stance

Just fill in the blanks and you're done. I don't know if you're ignoring on purpose or you just want to make your own anim to rival MotorRoach's edits, in which if that's the case you're doing an (unfortunately) bad job at it.
This is a generic forum signature.
#5185  May 26, 2015, 10:03:30 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
I tink I'm enable to do good animations so why don't you do this?
#5186  May 26, 2015, 10:08:42 pm
    • USA
Because it's not his sprite? How about not being ignorant and do it yourself
#5187  May 26, 2015, 10:12:03 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I tink I'm enable to do good animations so why don't you do this?

If that's the way you answer a post that tells you to pay more attention, then good fucking luck ever getting anywhere in pixel art and animation.

#5188  May 26, 2015, 10:12:21 pm
#5189  May 26, 2015, 10:14:34 pm
    • Argentina
Things like that makes people unwilling to help because others don't appreciate when they help them or even the time and effort they put in those sprites/anims/whatever.
#5190  May 26, 2015, 10:18:28 pm
I have the same feeling. I wasn't going to post but then I decided to do it because it's still feedback.

demongorne, I think you're trying to find excuses for not doing it. We all get this now.
I think we can stop before it gets out of hand...
#5191  May 26, 2015, 11:01:08 pm
    • demongorne.webs.com/
I think I'm eunable to do good animations so why don't you do this?

Look at this:
"Head Method"   ->   Outline      ->       Shaded

Similar process.
MotorRoach did more or less the same first step (he got inspired by voidednumb/HQ). You just have to outline and shade. Try. And be amazed.

Do you use a particular program to make it or what?
#5192  May 27, 2015, 12:14:50 am
  • SNK is life
The "Head Method" is a Chamat Trademark Technique :P
#5193  May 27, 2015, 12:22:26 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
From what I recall, Chamat uses a program called Graphics Gale, which I've heard really good things about. As for me, I go for using Photoshop.

Shit
#5194  May 27, 2015, 12:24:01 am
  • The Modern Mystical Ninja
  • Goemon's Descendant
    • Chile
    • Skype - ardilla_shc
    • sites.google.com/view/ganbarelucifermugensite/
@Demongorne: That's pretty decent, but you really need to consider what I've said before about Mr Karate's animations feeling so stiff on the legs, as well what Alex said about Ryo's head looking too big (specifically around the jaw).

The animation itself also feels too stiff on the upper body area, giving they don't move their arms in the slightest, and Ryo's face is feeling very wonky for few reasons-- one of them being that the brightening inside his mouth makes it look like he has rabbit buck teeth, and he also opens his mouth a bit too much, which makes it look like he's in shock, rather than trying to catch his breath from being hurt (like in Art of Fighting). The last reason would be that his eyes still look too serious, making it hard to imagine that Ryo is feeling immense pain from the battle, so you might want to make one of the eyes closed.

As for Negatrix's sprites, I'm going to make a proper comment this time.

First things first, I took a look into the sprite of that girl dressing green, and took a look at the palette she has. When I did so, I found out that she has 93 colors, which is way too much of a stretch, compared to the usual limit that is given in CvS sprites (15 colors). Some of the colors in there feel pointlessly separated from others, and other parts of the palette are just... different pixels floating in the sprite. I really suggest you take a closer look into her shading, because you will find a lot of that.

Onto the colors that are not misplaced pixels, I have to tell you this. You really need to also try reducing the amount of colors in that sprite. Clearly, she's a colorful design, but it's easy to make some parts of her design share the same palette-- for a sample, I can easily imagine her hair colors being combined with the skin palette, which is something that is commonly done in official Capcom sprites.

What Black Hatter said in here applies as well. Her shading doesn't feels very CvS, and could certainly use a lot of more anti aliasing. The feathers on her hair also feel a little bit pillow shaded, which could also be fixed with some proper anti aliasing. Another specific thing about the CvS style would be it's proportions, and that being said, your sprite looks too wide to be CvS, so making it more thin is recommended.

I made a quick edit of your sprite to show my points:

I would've edited it further, but I have no idea who she is, and her design feels confusing to me, so some things might be a little off. Still, the sprite in here is under the CvS palette limitation, and has exactly 15 color. It was very hard to make such a colorful character to stay under the limit, but I think I managed to do it. I also made her a little bit more thin, and tweaked her shading on most areas, and by modifying the amount of colors in the sprite, it will also make it much easier to sprite her animations. I'm here hoping this serves as a decent little guide about the CvS sprite style to you.

I now really dig and appreciate it. Thanks!

Next spriting in CvS should be done in 15 colors! (15 bits perharps?)
"Heroes are not applied on good people with powers, they apply on cops, firefighters, medics." ~Lucifer

#5195  May 27, 2015, 01:45:44 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
From what I recall, Chamat uses a program called Graphics Gale, which I've heard really good things about. As for me,I go for using Photoshop.

Same here. Photoshop,  GraphicsGale, Paint.NET are good. I'd also recommend Adobe Fireworks or dabble around with Rotsprite
#5196  May 27, 2015, 03:37:14 am
  • The Yatagarasu will be coming in any moment.
MotorRoach's pixel separation or fix for demongorne's Mr. Karate (I dunno what term to call it) has a very good animation flow and flexible look in the eyes, while demongorne's too loyal look of the AoF stance of Ryo and Mr. Karate looks very uneven and not flowing right. That looks so choppy or sloppy too. I did intend to push him to get MotorRoach's advice on it. I can sprite but I know I'm not really a pro in spriting. :) MotorRoach's advice should be learned. Not just his, but other professional spriters' too.

Chamat uses MSPaint and GraphicGale for spriting.

I tink I'm unable to do good animations so why don't you do this?

Fixed.
Titiln said:
focus more and stop thinking about things like the internet or titties

Whatever happened to sex, drugs, and Rock. Nowadays, it's whores, AIDS, and Hip-Hop.
#5197  May 27, 2015, 06:51:46 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
now that's a badass looking Sagat :)
#5198  May 27, 2015, 06:10:47 pm
  • SNK is life
Do you use a particular program to make it or what?
The "Head Method" is a Chamat Trademark Technique :P
From what I recall, Chamat uses a program called Graphics Gale, which I've heard really good things about.
Pretty sure Graphics Gale isn't directly related to the head method.

I wish I could find his Head Method Tutorial, but he posted it in a forum that's currently dead, and deleted his past posts here :S
#5199  May 27, 2015, 08:21:32 pm
    • Argentina
#5200  May 28, 2015, 12:54:57 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com