YesNoOk

Retsu, Geki, Joe and SF1 Ryu in Alpha Form. Happy 30th Birthday Street Fighter! (Read 125435 times)

Started by SiL3Nt J, August 17, 2017, 08:57:40 pm
Share this topic:
Retsu, Geki, Joe and SF1 Ryu in Alpha Form. Happy 30th Birthday Street Fighter!
New #1  August 17, 2017, 08:57:40 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:32:57 pm by SiL3Nt J
Re: Ryu SF1 Sprite Sheet, SF Alpha Style. Happy 30th Birthday Street Fighter!
#2  September 06, 2017, 06:18:27 pm
    • Germany
    • Joyeljayasinghe@outlook.de
Had to break it into two pieces:

Credits:

The Shirt Ninja - For ripping the Ryu sprites that I used as a base
Yawackhary - For the SF1 Ryu sprite sheet that I used for reference
Fighters Generation - Borrowed a couple of sprites from his site too
The Fox Mage - Borrowed some of the Ken sprites that he ripped to make a few animations
Croix - Borrowed some of his Akuma sprites too when I wasn't able to find some of the poses for Ryu
The Spriter's Resource - For the SFA3 portraits
Enso - For helping me with some of the re-coloring for the Akuma sprites

and of course Capcom for making the original sprites and for creating the characters

Thank you all for the views and feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Btw if anyone wants to edit it, feel free. Just please mention my name if you do.

Which one of them is the Stance?
#3  September 06, 2017, 06:44:36 pm
Only the first frame in the first row in the first picture.
#4  September 11, 2017, 02:46:13 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
yeah I couldn't decide how to make the stance look so I just left him still. I mean why not, Guy and Strider stand still and so did all of the characters in SF1. Just thought he would look awkward bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. Only thing I could think of that might work would be having him "breathe" like CvS Evil Ryu.
#5  September 11, 2017, 03:08:05 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I mean why not, Guy and Strider stand still and so did all of the characters in SF1.

While Guy and Hiryu are technically standing still, there are subtle (secondary) animations going on with each one that makes up for their lack of-uhh- lets just say a lack of a bouncy, more livelier animation:

As you can see with Hiryu, his hair and scarf move with the wind. If you look closer, you can see the shading of the chest change slightly (its moving slightly up) to give the effect of subtle breathing. The arm that is touching the sword also slightly moves if one looks closer. As for Guy, you can observe the same slight change in chest shading, as well as subtle arm/hand movements, and a sub-pixellation effect going on in the pants and upper body. This all gives it more life and makes it animate while sticking with the core idea of the characters (silent and strategic ninjas).

SF1 on the other hand, didn't have any of that going on. All stances were just one still frame. To compare Guy and Hiryu's idles to SF1 character idles would be wrong because the former actually have more than one frame. Its just the way that they were made makes it look "still".
This is a generic forum signature.
#6  September 11, 2017, 06:26:47 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
hmm, well I think if someone else wants to take a shot at it they should. I will probably just leave it alone though cuz I don't want to mess it up
#7  September 11, 2017, 06:37:04 am
  • Getting better, still a long way to go
    • UK
I'll be honest. i'm not a good artist by any means, but even i can tell you this much. If you actually want to improve or do something worthwhile, you need to fail. It is kinda mandatory. Will it suck? Probably, but that's ok. Its constructive to fail, so that we see our shortcomings and have a better understanding of our capabilities. honstly i'd say give it a shot
#8  September 11, 2017, 11:01:43 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Lol ok maybe. Was thinking about maybe having his stomach go in and having his arms go out a little bit and maybe making his chest go up and having his front leg straighten slightly, then at the end he could blink. Maybe something like that.
#9  September 12, 2017, 01:34:27 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
was playing around with these. I know they probably suck, but whatever. if someone wants to perfect them they can though. top one is just his upper body moving, bottom one has his upper and lower body moving:

Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:42:45 am by SiL3Nt J
#10  December 07, 2017, 08:06:49 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
And here's Joe:

UPDATE: 1/16/2018

Special thanks to Shubuster and Dark-Zerox709 for the Deejay and Cody sprites that I used as bases and also to Dai Kawahara for the drawing the original head that was used in the stance. Couldn't have done it without them.
Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:16:03 pm by SiL3Nt J
Re: SF1 Ryu and Joe Sprite Sheets. Happy 30th Birthday Street Fighter!
#11  January 05, 2018, 09:09:34 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Update: Added these to the sprite sheet (above).

Just have to add his getting up and falling down animations. After that, will look at adding the shoes.
#12  January 16, 2018, 03:34:35 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Just finished these. Now his sheet is 100% complete, the version without shoes at least. I've updated the sheet that was posted above. Might go back and add those later after I finish the other guys.

Here's an explanation of his moves. I pictured him being a charge character, sort of like Guile without the projectiles. Also, I gave him some ways to avoid projectiles that a lot of other characters don't have. People really use dirty tricks like that in real life to win fights, and since he's a street fighter, figured it would suit him. Always saw him as being a street fighter with really bad ass kicks.

Top to bottom:
- His kick throw. Added the 2nd frame and fixed the fingers on the first.
- (Middle Two Rows) His punch throw. He does a Judo type throw and sweeps the opponent to the ground. Then he hops on top of them to the "mount" position. This is a mashable throw.
- (bottom) His crouching and jumping block animations.

Top row: His regular crouch sprite

2nd row:  His light, middle and heavy crouching kicks. I wanted to give him a crouching heaving kick like Dhalsim's that can slide under projectiles. It would be cool to mix that move up with his overhead kick to keep the opponent guessing.

3rd row: His light, middle and heavy crouching punches.

4th row: An alternate version of his crouching heavy punch. Was thinking Guile. I think this one is better:

His jumping kicks. Was thinking the Split Kick could be his heavy kick and hit two angles at once. It would be good for cross ups.

His overhead kick. These can be done back to back like Cody's jump kick. Done by holding forward and pressing Heavy Kick. Must be blocked high:

His specials with a brief explanation (Top to Bottom):

Split Punch: Down, Down, Down + P
Joe does the splits and hits the opponent in the groin. Must be blocked low. Debating on whether to have the opponent re-act by being pushed back as if they have been hit in the stomach or by being frozen in place and bent over.

Box Car Kick: Charge back, forward + Kick
Similar to Joe Higashi's kick from Fatal Fury. Joe does not travel in a straight line, but in an arc in order to convey the appearance that he's actually jumping forward. The strength of the button pressed determines how far he travels. If it connects, the opponent is knocked back about 3/4 of the screen.

Upper Box Car Kick: Charge down, up + Kick
This is his version of the flash kick and main anti air. The strength of the button pressed determines how high diagonally upward he goes.

Punch Combo: Press punch rapidly
This is his version of Joe Higashi's rapid punch move. If it connects, it creates sort of a vacuum effect as the opponent is drawn in closer. The strength of the button pressed determines how many hits it gets, the final of which is an uppercut that knocks the opponent back about 1/2 the screen length. 4 hits for the LP version, 5 for the MP, 6 for the HP.

Dodge: Charge back, forward + P (not pictured)
Joe dashes forward while leaning to the side like the CvS characters do in the SNK groove. Goes through everything but does no damage. It's main function is to avoid and set up attacks. Also, the recovery is instant.

Also, had 2 ideas for his supers:

"Psychotic Conductor" - Charge back, Zig Zag forward + Kick - Joe dashes forward, does his standing light kick, his standing middle punch, his standing middle kick, his punch combo (6 hits) and then does a number of Jumping spinning kicks (his classic spinning kick). The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does. This goes through projectiles for the start up. It is similar to the super Takuma has where he dashes forward.

"Trainyard Tornado" - Double QCB + K - Joe does his jumping spin kick over and over again while moving vertically. The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does. Similar to Ken's Shinryuken or Akuma's vertical  hurricane kick super from MvC2.
Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:13:37 am by SiL3Nt J
#13  January 30, 2018, 12:12:58 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
I'm just going to post this, he's not 100% complete, only about 90%, but he has all of the animations he needs to make a full character. He has every move he had in SF1. This is Joe again but with the shoes. I will update this as I finish the rest of his sprites. Shouldn't be too much longer. Also, just need to finish the elbows on the stance, they were slightly off:

#14  January 30, 2018, 02:24:47 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
This is by far the best Custom Sprite work i've seen in SFA Style in my hole life...
#15  January 30, 2018, 05:58:05 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Well thanks man, I appreciate that.
#16  January 30, 2018, 09:23:58 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Indeed looks very good, congrats man.
Lasagna
#17  February 01, 2018, 04:48:58 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Lol well thanks, I really do appreciate it. I will post the finished product soon. Only 12 sprites left, then I just gotta fix the stance and he's 100%.
#18  February 02, 2018, 07:12:32 am
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
Here's the finished product. I just have to tweak the stance a little and it will be good to go. If someone programs him, could they make a video?

EDIT

fixed the stance and added it below

Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:20:13 pm by SiL3Nt J
#19  February 15, 2018, 05:20:14 pm
    • USA
    • saiguy1986@yahoo.com
fixed Joe's stance, muscles are less jumpy now:

#20  March 10, 2018, 06:49:05 pm
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
Exellent work. Keep spriting!