YesNoOk

Another SF4 thread, regarding focus attack, ex attacks, and dash canceling. (Read 15161 times)

Started by bloodriotiori, November 01, 2008, 11:12:50 pm
Share this topic:
Another SF4 thread, regarding focus attack, ex attacks, and dash canceling.
#1  November 01, 2008, 11:12:50 pm
Ok vyn started a thread where some things are being covered, but i have a few questions as well that might not get asked in there, mainly of course about the focus attack, i would like to know the following:

- what can the focus attack be canceled off of?  Is it just EX moves or can i do any attack and then do the focus attack (at the cost of 500 power of course like an EX move), or is it restricted to certain things.

- i've seen videos where people have gone like EX shoryuken, cancel that, into the ultra attack, i was curious HOW you cancel ex moves without using the focus attack (if you even can), or if you HAVE to use the focus attack to do so, and if it's different, what is the command for it?

- what ELSE can you cancel in this game?  I'd like a basic overview of the canceling system in this game as a whole in as much detail as possible if that'd be not too much to ask from someone, it'd be very very useful to my mugen project :(

- how EXACTLY does the revenge (ultra) meter work?  Is it only used to store power (by getting hit or absorbing hits with the focus attack) for the ultra attack (which i believe can be done if you have 50% or more of this bar full), or is there other uses for it?  Does it allow for EXTRA canceling or is there something else it does?  As much imput as possible please :)

- does dash canceling take any power to do off the focus attack?  I don't believe it does if you're just sitting back charging the attack, and you dash cancel, but does it take power if i were to say do an attac, chain the focus attack, then immediately dash cancel?  Infact is THAT how it works?  I do ex shoruyken, cancel into the focus attack and immediately dash cancel and then do my ultra attack?

Sorry if these questions are confusing, but since i don't have access to the game, i need as much imput from people who have played it as i can get, in as much detail as possible :)  I'll appreciate any help i can get here, thanks in advance  :sugoi: :sugoi:
Re: Another SF4 thread, regarding focus attack, ex attacks, and dash canceling.
#2  November 02, 2008, 12:09:44 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#3  November 02, 2008, 12:28:17 am
try here

thanks bud, that was somewhat helpful :)

here's one i have a question on thougH:

Focus Attack Dash Canceling
   (hold)         (Release)   
Sometimes referred to as a 'FADC' or a 'SADC'. After executing some special moves, you can Dash Cancel by pressing and holding the buttons for your Focus Attack and hitting forward twice and then releasing the Medium Punch and Kick buttons to cancel the animation to set up more hits in a combo.

This also takes part of your Super meter to do.

So does this mean i to do focus attack, pressed forward/back twice, and then release the buttons in order to do the dash?  Or does this mean i will start the focus animation, do the dash, and if i release the buttons i will cancel the dash before the animation is complete?  That's the part that's confusing me the most about the dash canceling hehe.  And i guess according to this you can only dash cancel forward and not back, interesting.

Please keep the imput coming on as much as you can guys :)
#4  November 02, 2008, 12:35:41 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
It means that you can cancel into a Focus Attack from any move, and said FA can then be cancelled by dashing like usual.

I think Capcom actually called that an EX Focus Attack, character blinks yellow and everything.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#5  November 02, 2008, 12:42:03 am
It means that you can cancel into a Focus Attack from any move, and said FA can then be cancelled by dashing like usual.

I think Capcom actually called that an EX Focus Attack, character blinks yellow and everything.

no no, i know that part hehe, i mean for the dash canceling.  From the way i'm reading it, at any ponit and time i'm doing a focus attack (whether an ex focus attack or a normal one), i can press forward 2 times and then dash forward and cancel the move, the question i have is when i release the mp + mk command, is that the part that makes me dash, or do i dash PRIOR to releasing, and by releasing them, i then cancel the dash animation, that's the part i'm having trouble with ;)
#6  November 02, 2008, 12:47:25 am
    • Portugal
You can dash at any time* and in either direction, and if you only release B+Y during the dash nothing happens.

*I'm not entirely sure about this one, I know you can dash while charging the FA (i.e. while holding B+Y) or when the actual attack connects (either hit or guard), but don't know if it's possible outside those two moments.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#7  November 02, 2008, 01:04:20 am
You can dash at any time* and in either direction, and if you only release B+Y during the dash nothing happens.

*I'm not entirely sure about this one, I know you can dash while charging the FA (i.e. while holding B+Y) or when the actual attack connects (either hit or guard), but don't know if it's possible outside those two moments.

oh so it is in either direction, good to know heh.  So nothing happens if i release B+Y during the dash, i don't evne cancel the dash animation?  So regardless of me letting go or not i have to complete the entire dash animation?

And i didn't know i could dash cancel after the hit connects, i thought it was only prior to me actually letting the attack animation play through.

I guess the part that's confusing me is, if i release B+Y DURING the dash, (aka i did the focus attack and am holding them down, now i do a dash cancel for 500 power), now as i'm dashing i release B+Y, and that does NOT cancel my dash?  I'm confused as to what it was talking about releasing B+Y and canceling an animation, maybe i'm just reading it wrong :/  Man this is hard without having played the game heh.

I also wanted to ask you PoTs, if you would mind if i were to use something out of your ryu (just a hadouken explod) and possibly your demon flip coding out of your akuma?  If not i totally understand, but you did allow me to use things from some of your characters for my Riot Ken so i was curious if i'd be allowed to use some things i need for my next character ;)

Anyways lets keep the feedback coming guys, i really wanna nail this down :)
#8  November 02, 2008, 01:10:11 am
    • Portugal
#9  November 02, 2008, 01:27:43 am
Yeah go ahead.

So regardless of me letting go or not i have to complete the entire dash animation?
Correct.

kk thanks :)

and ok that's good to know, it makes more sense that way anyways, so there is nothing done by releasing the B+Y buttons once you are doing a dash cancel ^_^

That still makes me wonder how i've seen things like EX shoryuken, cancel somehow, into the ultra attack.  Is there a seperate way to cancel EX moves? Or would i have to do EX shoryuken, cancel into ex focus attack, then hold it down and dash cancel that and THEN do an ultra attack while they're flying down?  That seems like an absurd amount of power bar to use :/  is there another way to do ex cancels or...?
#10  November 02, 2008, 01:32:16 am
    • Portugal
That still makes me wonder how i've seen things like EX shoryuken, cancel somehow, into the ultra attack.
You probably just missed the dash, or it wasn't a cancel (if you have the video link I can check it out).

Is there a seperate way to cancel EX moves?
No.

Or would i have to do EX shoryuken, cancel into ex focus attack, then hold it down and dash cancel that and THEN do an ultra attack while they're flying down?  That seems like an absurd amount of power bar to use :/  is there another way to do ex cancels or...?
Yes. Though it doesn't need to be an EX Shoryuken, a normal one works, in fact Ryu's basic killer combo is exactly normal Shoryuken -> FADC -> Ultra.
#11  November 02, 2008, 02:41:16 am
That still makes me wonder how i've seen things like EX shoryuken, cancel somehow, into the ultra attack.
You probably just missed the dash, or it wasn't a cancel (if you have the video link I can check it out).

Is there a seperate way to cancel EX moves?
No.

Or would i have to do EX shoryuken, cancel into ex focus attack, then hold it down and dash cancel that and THEN do an ultra attack while they're flying down?  That seems like an absurd amount of power bar to use :/  is there another way to do ex cancels or...?
Yes. Though it doesn't need to be an EX Shoryuken, a normal one works, in fact Ryu's basic killer combo is exactly normal Shoryuken -> FADC -> Ultra.

kk i'll take a look for the video.

Do you have a s/n i could talk to you on pots?  either on msn or aim?  it'd be really cool to talk to you first hand i figure i could learn quite a bit that way :)  If you have one and feel like sharing, just PM it to me if you don't want it becoming common knowledge :)  I'll take a look for a video in the mean time.
#12  November 05, 2008, 02:00:09 am
Just saw your thread, and although I'm not sure if you still have any questions that need answering, here's some info for you about Focus Attack and Dash Canceling (I play SFIV regularly at my arcade :) )

1) EX FA is nothing more than you activating an FA during a special move (blocked or not). Motion is simple, just press both middle buttons (middle punch and middle kick).

2) When you get used to Dash Canceling a FA, you can do it to the point where it doesn't even look like you were doing a FA. This goes the same for EX FA, Just cancel a special into an EX FA and IMMEDIATELY do a Dash Cancel. In the long run, you need to do it fast if you want to do crazy juggles (the only way to do juggles in SFIV)

3) In order to Dash Cancel an FA, both middle buttons have to be held down. You can't cheat and think that because you are in the FA animation that you can release and try to Dash Cancel. Won't work, I tried and found out the hard way. It takes some practicing, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature to keep both middle buttons down while doing a Dash Cancel.

4) Releasing the middle buttons during a Dash Cancel will not stop your Dash. The minute you are Dash Canceling you have no control over you character until he/she stops. Don't worry, almost everyone's dash is short, similar to Ken & Ryu's dash in SFIV.

5) While you can't attack immediately after a Dash Cancel, recovery from it is enough for you to do fancy juggles. And yes, EX-moves can be EX-FA -> Dash Cancel, then followed by an Ultra Attack...that is, as long as you have enough super energy in your meter.

6) From what I've seen and read, FA is only cancelable off of specific attacks. So for example, Ken can EX FA during a Shouryuuken (normal or EX version), but cannot do this during his Hadouken. I don't have a list of all of the attacks that can be EX FA canceled into, but I do know that it's limited to specific moves.

That's about it. Hope this helps.
#13  November 05, 2008, 05:47:08 am
Just saw your thread, and although I'm not sure if you still have any questions that need answering, here's some info for you about Focus Attack and Dash Canceling (I play SFIV regularly at my arcade :) )

1) EX FA is nothing more than you activating an FA during a special move (blocked or not). Motion is simple, just press both middle buttons (middle punch and middle kick).

2) When you get used to Dash Canceling a FA, you can do it to the point where it doesn't even look like you were doing a FA. This goes the same for EX FA, Just cancel a special into an EX FA and IMMEDIATELY do a Dash Cancel. In the long run, you need to do it fast if you want to do crazy juggles (the only way to do juggles in SFIV)

3) In order to Dash Cancel an FA, both middle buttons have to be held down. You can't cheat and think that because you are in the FA animation that you can release and try to Dash Cancel. Won't work, I tried and found out the hard way. It takes some practicing, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature to keep both middle buttons down while doing a Dash Cancel.

4) Releasing the middle buttons during a Dash Cancel will not stop your Dash. The minute you are Dash Canceling you have no control over you character until he/she stops. Don't worry, almost everyone's dash is short, similar to Ken & Ryu's dash in SFIV.

5) While you can't attack immediately after a Dash Cancel, recovery from it is enough for you to do fancy juggles. And yes, EX-moves can be EX-FA -> Dash Cancel, then followed by an Ultra Attack...that is, as long as you have enough super energy in your meter.

6) From what I've seen and read, FA is only cancelable off of specific attacks. So for example, Ken can EX FA during a Shouryuuken (normal or EX version), but cannot do this during his Hadouken. I don't have a list of all of the attacks that can be EX FA canceled into, but I do know that it's limited to specific moves.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

:o :o :o

wow thanks a ton man :)  I'll be taking this all into account :D

vyn

#14  November 05, 2008, 09:25:00 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
- how EXACTLY does the revenge (ultra) meter work?  Is it only used to store power (by getting hit or absorbing hits with the focus attack) for the ultra attack (which i believe can be done if you have 50% or more of this bar full), or is there other uses for it?  Does it allow for EXTRA canceling or is there something else it does?  As much imput as possible please :)

at half full it allows ultra attack after that it adds damage to the ultra attack, the more full this bar is the more damage the ultra attack deals, fills when taking damage or absorbing it during FA as u said

New #15  November 07, 2008, 07:44:54 pm

at half full it allows ultra attack after that it adds damage to the ultra attack, the more full this bar is the more damage the ultra attack deals, fills when taking damage or absorbing it during FA as u said

oooo :O

that's great to know :D

Man i wish rei would respond to my email lol, i fear i'll never get a sf4 meter to use :(

Ok guys, new question.  I was watching a video the other day, and i saw ken do an ex shoryuken, it was blocked, and ken dash canceled out of it.  How much power does this take to do, can you do this with any ex attack or only ones where your feet haven't left the ground yet, can you cancel out of any attacks only if they're blocked or at any point in the move?
Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:48:28 pm by bloodriotiori