YesNoOk

Rip Psx (CvS) character sprites (& sparks)  (Read 20412 times)

Started by Byakko, May 05, 2004, 06:42:29 pm
Share this topic:
Rip Psx (CvS) character sprites (& sparks)
#1  May 05, 2004, 06:42:29 pm
OK, this question seems to slow down some PSX-only creators, so here's an answer. I don't know if it works for other PSX games, but it does for Capcom vs SNK Pro. So here goes :
How to rip CvS characters sprites ?
-> Get a PSX emulator that works with plugins (I use ePSXe)
-> get this video plugin : Kazzuya's OpenGL GPU 0.5
-> In the video plugin configuration, just uncheck the "use bilinear filtering" option.
So what now ? Hey guess what, that's all.
(these shots were resized, so they're awfully blurred, just don't care, it's normal)

As you see, that version of that plugin is so buggy that the BG is... removed. Jackpot.
Here, it was supposed to be the "ruins" stage, purple one that looks like the Thailand BG in the evening or something like that : its main color, main tone, was globally purple. Now you just have a complete purple BG. Go on and take a dark stage (like the one that has some junkyard on the left in the back, and a wall on the right) and you'll get an all-black BG.

Yes, the char on the left has some weird lines stripping his sprites. With P1, just jump over P2, and P2 will be on the left, and be the one with those lines.
And you can get you sparks easily too (except when sparks and character overlap, sadly).

Oh, and it seems you'll have trouble using the "save state-load state" feature in ePSXe, as it just crashes when you try to load a saved state. Also, sometime an error shows up about video or something (says something like "click OK to continue, cancel to prevent these error messages from displaying") : don't care, click on "cancel" to make these error boxes not be displayed anymore (well, you're quite aware that it doesn't work properly, since it removes the BG...).
As for getting * all * the frames, take anything that records what happens on your screen and take each frame of the video.
Thank the most buggy plugin  :D
Have fun and create more CvS chars.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:06:03 pm by Byakko
Re:Rip Psx (CvS) character sprites (& sparks)
#2  May 05, 2004, 08:09:04 pm
  • What?
Isn't better using Shoshingo's tutorial? At least, for me is better.

Btw, nice tutorial explaining this method Byakko.  ;)
Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:11:14 pm by ShinRyuKe
#3  May 05, 2004, 08:14:47 pm
Isn't better using Shoshingo's tutorial?
Yes, if you want to screw a copy of your iso you can remove the BGs directly in the iso file. However, I myself never got correct results (in his method you scan your iso file for the pack.bin file or something like that... well I couldn't get it to work properly, heh, I suck when it comes to manipulations a bit hard to do, I'm a n00b in computerz) ; the result is just the same anyway, isn't it ? Or is it easier to rip sparks, especialy those that overlap, maybe ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:15:32 pm by Byakko
#4  May 05, 2004, 08:17:49 pm
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
Or is it easier to rip sparks, especialy those that overlap, maybe ?

check you answer in here:

http://excalibur.host.it.ca/index.php?mzn_categoria=00etc

EDIT:
this is not a Spam post. its just that I was born with a bad sense of judgement. for anything. so, as I have ripped the sparks by the ISO searching method, I'm sending the dude where he can find them. than he judges if its easier or not. the sparks being at my site is just a happy coincidence  8)
Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:33:02 pm by Toninho 3rd
#5  May 05, 2004, 08:29:45 pm
Or is it easier to rip sparks, especialy those that overlap, maybe ?

check you answer in here:

http://excalibur.host.it.ca/index.php?mzn_categoria=00etc
Yum yum, what to say... :sugoi
I saw that post when you made it, though I was never able to get the zip (just got it, for some unknown-to-god reasons. Was never able to get all of these sheets myself when I tried to browse the CD, too...). Looks like some effects still aren't here (like Benimaru's Denkuu Spark, my 3rd shot) surely because it's made from several existing ones, or huge scale maybe...
Now any sprite can be ripped quite easily, including characters sprites.
Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:34:03 pm by Byakko
#6  May 05, 2004, 08:33:22 pm
  • What?
Yes, if you want to screw a copy of your iso you can remove the BGs directly in the iso file. However, I myself never got correct results (in his method you scan your iso file for the pack.bin file or something like that... well I couldn't get it to work properly, heh, I suck when it comes to manipulations a bit hard to do, I'm a n00b in computerz) ; the result is just the same anyway, isn't it ? Or is it easier to rip sparks, especialy those that overlap, maybe ?

Basically you get the same result, but the first player appears correctly, and for the sparks, you get it in both methods the same result, but for me, it's easier the iso method than the other.

If you don't get work the iso method, it would be the ISO region, when i made the proccess, with NTSC iso worked correctly, but with pal iso, don't work. :-\

Sorry, but my english suck.
#7  May 11, 2004, 01:00:30 pm
Found out a problem after changing my config, you need to set your desktop as 32 bits true colors (not sure of the english name of that setting, sorry... in the properties thing of your desktop, y'know) 'cause shots will give you problems with colors if you use the 16 bits config (namely, nb of colors doubled because of stray pixels everywhere in the char's sprites)
Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 01:02:20 pm by Byakko
#8  May 23, 2004, 10:36:45 am
NICE DUDE! I HAVE MARVEL VS CAPCOM FOR PSX!!!!
sorry bout caps lol, i think i got my point across though

ps. ima noobie at creating, ive decided to learn
to and from the grave
Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 10:37:09 am by mugen_owns
#9  May 23, 2004, 01:04:20 pm
I HAVE MARVEL VS CAPCOM FOR PSX!!!!
So it works with other games too ?
Would be good if some people could post the games they tested that trick with, so that we could know which games we can rip (or not) for sure.
ima noobie at creating, ive decided to learn
Well, good luck.
Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 01:12:35 pm by Byakko
#10  May 23, 2004, 10:04:37 pm
  • What?
NICE DUDE! I HAVE MARVEL VS CAPCOM FOR PSX!!!!
sorry bout caps lol, i think i got my point across though

ps. ima noobie at creating, ive decided to learn

You could rip from CPS-2. It's easier. ;)