YesNoOk

[Original Character] Grappler Karo (Read 21183 times)

Started by Tsunamidusher, August 26, 2013, 04:46:46 am
Share this topic:
[Original Character] Grappler Karo
#1  August 26, 2013, 04:46:46 am
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
Greetings, this is for the project of an OC named "Karo", a Grappler Mechanic (Not Engineer).4 - Button, Grappler, 2 Power Bar

Idle Stance
This is from scratch, I don't do edits
The pictures for Karo have always varied and been pretty exaggerated in designs and, lets not beat around the bush here, the chest has never had a definitive proportion. To make this move forward at all, I chose a size and am rolling with it. So any suggestions to change that will be ignored, then mocked, then ignored again.
Intro 1

As for the gameplay, I'm thinking of a grappler similar to Angel from KOF's mechanics, with less auto-combo-ability. Only two standing punches and the rest of her movement aniamtions have been done for now, but all the movment anims are finished so it's worth a thread.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Walk
Dash
Jump
Weak Punch (2-Hit. If elbow connects, the player can press button to chain)
Hard Punch

Any suggestions or fixes (Minus the bust size) are welcome to improve this character!

Thank you
Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:27:13 pm by Tsunamidusher
Re: [Original Character] Grappler Karo
#2  August 26, 2013, 12:16:29 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
In the stance it looks like she is stroking the wrench... that's quite um... sexual
#3  August 26, 2013, 01:01:27 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
I think its intentional :)
#4  August 26, 2013, 04:34:08 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Wow, this is original, sexy and has a lot of potential, I'm really looking forward to this :)
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#5  August 26, 2013, 05:00:46 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
She's definitely a cutie and looks extremely promising.

But it looks like you didn't make many sprites and animations of her because her animations still look somewhat inconsistent for me.

Her right arm in her walking animation looks a little stiff, a little too robotic. Same goes for her right leg in the end of the strong attack. Her jumping animation still needs pre-jumping and landing sprites to make the entire animation look smoother.

Her breasts should have physics after she moves her elbow upwards in her light punch animation.

And being her a grappler I think you already can envision what kind of throws she's gonna use against her enemy. Please try to make some animations showing what kinds of throws she's gonna use. We can't envision her fighting style yet.

Nonetheless, your first samples already look much more well animated than most of the doujin fighting games I use to play. This is already an excellent starting point.

I'm not a spriter hence I can't help you much. I hope that more spriters can give you tips about improving the quality of her animations. I can't point many flaws in her animations, but other spriters surely can see things I can't, and it's clear for me that her design isn't 100% defined and you still need to play around with her design, tweaking with her proportions and animations in the process, in order to get a more consistent look for her.

Her design looks promising but she still feels slightly unpolished for me. Keep on working and showing your ideas. I'll really like to see your improvements.
Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:53:36 pm by Zzyzzyxx

DW

#6  August 26, 2013, 07:27:52 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Char does look intriguing. Despite what you said in the initial post, I guarantee someone will say something about it anyway. :P I assume most things are in alpha/semi-beta state, so, there's not much to inquire on now. Though, I look forward to progress. Good luck with everything.
#7  August 26, 2013, 09:41:01 pm
In the stance it looks like she is stroking the wrench... that's quite um... sexual

When I first saw the character, I thought she was holding something else.  If you care to improve the animations, though, shading and color choices could be improved.  Also, why's her butt so flat?
Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:45:52 pm by Burning_Typhoon
#8  August 27, 2013, 04:49:07 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA
Wow, nice. Already alot of good feedback. Okay, Let's get started:

Lemme just say now that this is like spriting two characters at once. One is the full body and the other is the cleavage. Seriously, I'd be having the same problem if I were doing a character with a cape... except inconsistences would be less noticable ;) So, PLEASE! If the chest looks out of proportion, don't be shy to tell me about that! Just don't go with "make it bigger" or "more bounce".

"In the stance it looks like she is stroking the wrench... that's quite um... sexual"
For the wrench sliding, it's not really, it's behind her so the wrench disappears back there... it's all pretty wierd placement and perspective, but also something to address. I'll look into it. Well, if it appears too suggestive anyway. I'll do a survey irl friends before I go there.

"The right arm looking too robotic"
I think I can fix that. That's likely a shading issue.

"Her breasts should have physics after she moves her elbow upwards in her light punch animation."
You are absolutely 100% right... the problem was that physics made even a small raise or bounce look awkward, like they were trying to escape or something. I had to settle with a slight raise of the chest. Just 1 pixel.

"When I first saw the character, I thought she was holding something else."
Well, in the initial post under the spoiler box, you can see her standing with the wrench in the correct colors. So you can get sort of what I'm going for there...

You know, the more I look at that comparing the Renamon character I did to Karo... I'm tempted to add another shading layer... but this is ment to be a lower rez anime character and Renamon was a full on MVC1 character. Ain't Noone Got Time For That!

Oh well, maybe I'll do it in the future and cause myself a whole new world of headache. =P
-Thanks for all your responses thusfar!

DW

#9  August 27, 2013, 07:17:47 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I was going to say that her shading seems a bit flat... Though I figured it was due to her being in a early form. As in what is being shown is just a preview. If this shading is the final product... Well, I don't blame you for not wanting to burden yourself too much lol. 
#10  August 27, 2013, 03:52:09 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
umm I will give some feedback@

-The  1st animation it self looks pretty good. But due to shading you have on her makes her looks flat when you need to be showing of be muscles and a bit more depth in this sprite.

The hair it self really should be re-shaded to have more depth into it cause right now it looks pretty flat add some more shadows into it and maybe some high lights as well to show of the point closest to your light source.

-Her wrench seems to be opening and closing making a mouth like motion. Not really nothing wrong with this but most wrenches you will have to screw open and closes( This more of a nit pick so you can excuse this one if you want)

-The shading on the wrench should bet better to show dome details cause it somestimes looks like a wrench and other times looks like a crow bar and maybe even a hammer. Add more details to the wrench so we can be sure its a wrench all of the time.

-The shading around the neck or the clavicle needs to have some details around and add shadows under the neck as well cause it looks like your light source is coming down from the top. So you need to make sure your lighting is consistent at all times.

-Shading on the arms and legs should show more details as will such a muscle definition. She doesn't have to be too muscly but just show off some shape and tone of the legs i would re shade that.

-On her jump animation her waist goes from being very slim to very wide on the way down..Slim down the waist again on the ending of this animation.

That's pretty much all i have to say right now! I hope this is helpful

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#11  August 29, 2013, 02:26:11 am
    • Brazil
    • www.facebook.com/ramza.neko.52
a bit of antialias could be nice
#12  August 29, 2013, 02:41:06 am
She really needs a sports bra.
#13  August 29, 2013, 04:41:32 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA
I'm be adding another shade color for Karo's skin in general. I think that will make everything just look nicer... extra shade for anything else isn't on my agenda quite yet... I think another shade for the skin will likely be enough... don't want to spend too much time on this character or the little details... Updating Klonoa and my self charater all at the same time... aside from work, of course. :3

Sports bra? Psssh. You really don't know the girl that's commissioning this character... XD
#14  August 29, 2013, 09:04:49 pm
    • Central African Republic
    • Youngdon113@yahoo.com
Nice sprites you did not base this from another character
Keep my mom out of this and ill keep this out your mom
#15  August 29, 2013, 09:46:13 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
^ Nope, Tsunamidusher always sprites from scratch, so all the character is 100% original ;)

I've a little complain, the boobs are small, should be bigger (Hitomi Tanaka style) XD nah, joking :P I like the design, it reminds me On.Off & Fervicante's Lucy Fernandez and AnArquiA B.'s Femina Blaker, about the idea of a voluptuous lady for MUGEN. You would post her movelist in a future to see how much "grappler" she would be, I can't imagine right now about her moves but I think will be very interesting ;) keep going Tsunamidusher, great work here ;)

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#16  August 30, 2013, 04:12:25 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Intro 1 needs to have the breasts redone I think, as she twists back her breasts should be more apart to transition well from that into the next stance, otherwise it look as if her breasts powered up and floated up, while they were being pulled down by gravity before.
#17  August 30, 2013, 08:23:51 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA
I'll have some ideas for grapples later next week. I have them planned out, but it's probably best to give a general idea to you guys...

As for Cracker Jack, the original plan was to start it after Karo... but at this rate (With a personal video game on the horizon) Karo is enough, as well as some other side projects... and did I mention I have a job and an anime club that constantly demand my attention? Oh boy. Well, at the very least, I WILL have an animated base for Cracker Jack for anyone that wants to take my spot for it.

Intro 1 needs to have the breasts redone I think, as she twists back her breasts should be more apart to transition well from that into the next stance, otherwise it look as if her breasts powered up and floated up, while they were being pulled down by gravity before.
[ignores][mocks][ignores]
Okay seriously... now that you described it, I can't unsee it... now I have to spend more time on an older sprite instead of making new ones.
*facekeyboards HARD* Gawd Fucking Damnit!
#18  September 04, 2013, 12:14:58 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
it could probably also be fixed if you just made her taller on that animation , that way the transition point of the breasts and the waist wouldnt jump up so suddenly.
#19  September 04, 2013, 03:14:23 am
  • Born From the 93's
    • Puerto Rico
    • http://mrpr1993.deviantart.com/
Can't wait to try out this one! X3
CURRENT PROJECTS:
-Characters: Vera Trappz (OC)
-Stages: Springfield Town Square (Update)

IDEAS I HAVE:
-Characters: Mona-Lisa (OC), Danny Phantom, Betty Boop, Kim Possible, Aladdin, Oggy, NEW! Cartoon Guy
-Stages: Toon World (Cartoon Guy), End Of The World
#20  September 04, 2013, 07:12:54 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA
Well, the skin shading will be redone completely since I'm adding an extra tone, that may kill two birds with one stone.

As for that intro deal, I'm going to redo the sizes on that altogether to fix that issue.

...but for right now, Klonoa!
#21  September 29, 2013, 11:39:25 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA

Changing to this style. Keeping it simple so I can get much more done.

Same Statement in the first post applies.
#22  September 29, 2013, 02:03:37 pm
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
Looks muuuuuuuuch better now!
#23  September 30, 2013, 07:47:29 am
  • Pixel Animator
    • USA