YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] DBFC/UNIB Sprite Thread (Read 106167 times)

Started by lui, April 05, 2015, 03:21:19 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] DBFC/UNIB Sprite Thread
#61  September 07, 2015, 02:18:28 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
I'm not too keen on his gi, since it looks a bit too bright on the orange. Same for the face, since it looks... Off.

Honestly, the Goku sprite almost looks like one of those badly filtered sprites that tried to pass off as "hi-res".

Edit: So damn late, but I just took a look at the picname and it saids "Goku_WIP". Silly me. Does needs some improvements, but not bad.. so far.
Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:03:14 am by Zemilia

lui

#62  September 08, 2015, 10:14:53 am
    • USA
i knew the face had the eyes too wide apart!

aside from that, i'll change the gi color for sure, i think i went too far in the folds department, ill take a look at akira's sprites for reference, since when i made that goku i had no references at all since i had no internet. thanks for the critique!
#63  September 08, 2015, 11:23:37 am
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia

This looks pretty nice. The colors for the outfit is too bright like Zem said. Also, the skin tones blend into each other too much, you should just take the skin tone colors straight from Akira or Hyde or someone. The face looks mostly fine to me, the eyes should be a bit bigger though. Also, his (viewer's) right wristband looks too 'square'. Maybe give a bit more shape to it. But overall, the sprite still looks nice. I'm excited to see you add the finishing modifications to it. :)

I might post something I've been working on here soon.
#64  October 15, 2015, 04:42:17 am
    • Indonesia
    • larsmasters.deviantart.com
3C:

66B or 6B:
#65  November 26, 2015, 02:59:11 pm
    • Australia

lui

#66  November 27, 2015, 05:37:39 am
    • USA
sweeet. only thing to fix up is the face, ill show you what i mean soon
#67  November 27, 2015, 08:24:39 pm
    • Australia
#68  November 27, 2015, 11:44:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
nice
 I am really starting to dig this style.
#69  December 04, 2015, 08:36:12 am
    • Australia
#70  December 13, 2015, 01:59:36 am
    • Australia
Scathach (Lancer) from Fate Grand Order.

#71  December 13, 2015, 07:49:53 am
    • Indonesia
    • larsmasters.deviantart.com

#72  December 13, 2015, 08:31:44 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The way you're shading fabric doesn't quite fit the style, you're just recycling the shading of whatever you're tracing, actually that goes for pretty much the entire sprite, and you're keeping whatever you traced's original proportions instead of actually adjusting them to the style, Scathatch's height is so off since you just traced over the FGO sprite.
Your color management is off as well, Satsuki's hair is lacking tones and your palettes seem a bit off.
#73  December 13, 2015, 09:22:02 am
    • Australia
The way you're shading fabric doesn't quite fit the style, you're just recycling the shading of whatever you're tracing, actually that goes for pretty much the entire sprite, and you're keeping whatever you traced's original proportions instead of actually adjusting them to the style, Scathatch's height is so off since you just traced over the FGO sprite.
Your color management is off as well, Satsuki's hair is lacking tones and your palettes seem a bit off.

With the lightsource, I thought that (at least with the Melty Blood artwork) that it was similar to the sprite style, thus why I kept most of it. I did somewhat modify it for most of the sprites. There were a few instances where I foolishly forgot to change it in some areas for all of them though. I'll try to avoid leaving the lighting the same as the artwork from now on.

With the proportions, looking at her FGO sprite, her head seemed like the only thing that really needed resizing. I was going to resize it but I forgot until most of the sprite was colored in and decided it was too much trouble after. Looks like I didn't scale down her height before tracing enough either.

I don't think Satsuki's hair is lacking tones? I used 4 (had 1 left in the palette but didn't end up needing it), the fifth isn't used that much from what I've studied. I agree with the palette issue, I really wasn't happy with how they came out for most of the sprites. That's something I also need to work more on.

Thank you so, so much for the great feedback, S.D.! I really appreciate it as I truely love this sprite style and want to improve as much as I can. :)
#74  December 13, 2015, 11:04:09 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Four is the amount of colors in average you should be using for the hair in this style, yes, then the issue is your contrast and color management because Satsuki's hair at first glance only looks like it has two tones, light and dark, just take the palette from existing sprites to have the proper contrast, you can take Nanase's for instance. Also, the distribution of your tones isn't very even, this happens because you're just tracing and copying the existing style instead of replicating the way the shading is distributed on her hair. Or face, Shiki's face for instance.

FGO sprites have weird proportions, Scathatch should have about the same proportions as Selvaria so you should use that as a reference, the FGO sprite compared to this sprite's style makes her look like a dwarf or a kid.

Look at Aoi_ship and what he does to replicate the style
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2595023
#75  December 14, 2015, 11:54:11 pm
    • Australia
Four is the amount of colors in average you should be using for the hair in this style, yes, then the issue is your contrast and color management because Satsuki's hair at first glance only looks like it has two tones, light and dark, just take the palette from existing sprites to have the proper contrast, you can take Nanase's for instance. Also, the distribution of your tones isn't very even, this happens because you're just tracing and copying the existing style instead of replicating the way the shading is distributed on her hair. Or face, Shiki's face for instance.

FGO sprites have weird proportions, Scathatch should have about the same proportions as Selvaria so you should use that as a reference, the FGO sprite compared to this sprite's style makes her look like a dwarf or a kid.

Look at Aoi_ship and what he does to replicate the style
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2595023

Like I said, I need to work on making the colors. I'd usually take them from the artwork I was basing the sprite on if I couldn't get them from a source sprite of the character. Taking the colors directly from another character will work, though I usually prefer not to to keep the palette 'unique'. I still need to improve with light and tone distribution as well.

Hmmm, I didn't really expect Scathach to be proportionally similar to Selvaria. I'll keep that in mind for later on then, since I plan to make more sprites of her at some point. I'll keep in mind how inaccurate the proportions are with the FGO sprites too.

I'll check out Aoi_ship's stuff. Thanks again, S.D., I appreciate it. :)
#76  January 24, 2016, 07:46:14 pm
    • Portugal
Bump!

My first try at this style:

Sabrac from Shakugan no Shana
#77  February 20, 2016, 08:29:13 am
    • Australia

Beast Master.

lui

#78  February 20, 2016, 08:31:59 am
    • USA
the one on the right is way better, but i feel the face feels flat
#79  February 20, 2016, 08:37:47 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
his nose casts such an intense shadow lul
#80  April 16, 2016, 08:21:19 am
    • Australia
the one on the right is way better, but i feel the face feels flat

his nose casts such an intense shadow lul

Shit, I forgot to respond here. I fixed up the shadowing under his nose and a few other things, but I left the face as I feel it looks fine as is. I'll post the new version soon. I decided to stick with the right design too.

And here's this:

Also, @walruslui: discovered and told me about small differences between the DBFC and UNIB sprites. The former's sprites are scaled taller and the lightsource is different. Luis, if you reiterate what you said on this, that'd be great.
Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:55:05 pm by ゴーストキラー