YesNoOk

Stage of the Month Discussion  (Read 25207 times)

Started by Berry, April 03, 2014, 04:25:15 am
Share this topic:
Stage of the Month Discussion
#1  April 03, 2014, 04:25:15 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Sigh okay, the nominations for February have been slow as hell and nothing came out of it and well Jmorphman said this thing won't work monthly and should be reworked
Jmorphman said:
Now, Stage of the Month is not doing so well. February got only 4 nominations. A monthly contest is just not workable, I'm afraid to say. I propose we move it to either a bimonthly or maybe even a quarterly system.

Here is what I suggested but nobody read it so here it is again
RadBot here, after my upgrades I came up with way to keep this trivial matter organized. Due to the numerous amounts of stages it would make sense for entries to be more exclusive if the competition is going to be quarterly.

Users should enter only if they desire to, no nominations nor multiple entries from one creator, you enter one stage to be allowed into the competition and a small number of users would review it and allow it to be entered into the poll. If quarterly that would limit only 3 users to having the award, so let the awards be given to the third, second, and first places. This way there would be 3 winners for every quarter, allowing for 12 competitors for stage of the year, the same number character of the year shall normally have.

Now, if it's going to be quarterly (which I think would be better imo due to the 12 competitor thing I mentioned) I suggested the entry thing, since stages get released a lot more frequently than characters nominating would be a rather messy system since there'd be so many stages to choose from. So I feel that the competing stages be submitted by creators themselves, let people enter their best or favorite stage to compete in each quarter. If too numerous I suggest having a small number of people determine what stage to be allowed in the contest or not.

How does this sound to everyone? If anyone else has better ideas feel free to share please.
Re: Stage of the Month Discussion
#2  April 03, 2014, 07:12:57 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
That seems fair. I had thought that maybe we could just increase the amount of entries or something but that could just lead to a giant list with only a few things having many votes.
#3  April 04, 2014, 02:19:10 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
The main problem with this contest (the general public not giving a shit about its existance) isn't going to be solved by making the non-voting periods even longer (it'd be even more forgetable that way) and even less by shifting it into a more creator-centric contest (we already have a yearly contest like that).

Just put SOTM to sleep.
Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:33:16 am by The Mysterious Fubini
#4  April 04, 2014, 02:19:58 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#5  April 04, 2014, 02:28:11 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Was mainly doing this to try to at least save Sai's idea since I know he really wanted this to be a thing, but he hasn't given input lately nor do I know when he was last active so w/e.
#6  April 04, 2014, 02:45:34 am
    • USA
The main problem with this contest (the general public not giving a shit about its existance) isn't going to be solved by making the non-voting periods even longer (it'd be even more forgetable that way) and even less by shifting it into a more creator-centric contest (we already have a yearly contest like that).

Just put SOTM to sleep.
I disagree; the unofficial Stage of the Year that had the judges voting and stuff was pretty popular; if all else fails we can fall back on that. But I think a quarterly system would work just as well.
#7  April 04, 2014, 02:47:14 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
How about you guys try the quarterly system once and if it fails you put it to sleep eh?

#8  April 04, 2014, 03:01:56 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I disagree; the unofficial Stage of the Year that had the judges voting and stuff was pretty popular; if all else fails we can fall back on that. But I think a quarterly system would work just as well.

...that was exactly my point, there's already a contest like that, so there's no point in reworking our own 'official' contest into something similar as it would be both less representative of the forum as a whole and it would usurp/fail to usurp that contest's niche.
#9  April 04, 2014, 03:09:27 am
    • USA
Didn't see that part, whoops.

But yeah, turning it into the unofficial one would just be a measure of last resort; I don't think it would be pointless because giving it a sense of legitimacy couldn't hurt. But I really do think trying out a quarterly or twice a year type contest couldn't hurt.
#10  April 04, 2014, 05:31:15 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Was mainly doing this to try to at least save Sai's idea since I know he really wanted this to be a thing, but he hasn't given input lately nor do I know when he was last active so w/e.

My schedule has been a little crazy and my Mugen time has been a little nonexistent as of late because of it, so I apologize for being quiet for the past three days.

I would really like to keep the stage of the month going, with perhaps changing the rules a little bit to make nominations a little easier to come by. I was thinking perhaps 2 nominations per stage and only 10 entries to close things out and begin voting. Just a thought.

I will say though... some characters of the month have started out slow, some have been quick; some have been popular and some have not. This is also the second month that stage of the month has been around, so maybe it's also a slow start overall. People did ask for this too, so why stop only after a couple of bad months??

And if worse comes to worse, we do have ExShadow's yearly contest as well.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#11  April 04, 2014, 05:36:57 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
I will say though... some characters of the month have started out slow, some have been quick; some have been popular and some have not. This is also the second month that stage of the month has been around, so maybe it's also a slow start overall. People did ask for this too, so why stop only after a couple of bad months??

Because people say they'll do shit and by the time it happens they don't give a damn and forgot it existed. It's your contest Sai, your call.
#12  April 04, 2014, 05:46:07 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
This is the reason the other contest ideas wouldn't work. The more contests spread over time the less it'll work. I'm for trying a quarterly one. Try a few varieties with it but if it still doesn't get enough attention put it down.
#13  April 04, 2014, 05:58:17 am
    • USA
I will say though... some characters of the month have started out slow, some have been quick; some have been popular and some have not. This is also the second month that stage of the month has been around, so maybe it's also a slow start overall.
The first few character of the months were pretty popular; and even the least popular ones have gotten more than 10 nominations. There's just not enough demand to warrant a monthly stage contest, unfortunately.
Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:09:38 pm by Jmorphman
#14  April 04, 2014, 03:54:06 pm
  • MFG's Slowest Character Editor
    • USA
I'm all for the quarterly idea, just to see if it can stick. I've seen some wicked ass-kicking stages and they deserve some sort of recognition.

There's just enough demand to warrant a monthly stage contest, unfortunately.

Did you mean to say "not" enough?
#15  April 04, 2014, 07:10:19 pm
    • USA
I don't understand what you mean and I'd prefer that you not cast aspersions against my character.
#16  April 04, 2014, 08:12:35 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Sai why did you not try the quarterly thing instead of going ahead and making a voting thread for a scarce month?
#17  April 05, 2014, 04:43:31 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

I think the reason this didn't work is because the only ones who post about stages on releases are the creators themselves, there's almost no threads about outsiders releasing stages so no one have idea about people making stages but the 3-4 people actually make stages here (Exshadow would win like the half of year here, u know)

Stages aren't popular as chars here, if they were same popular as chars, the SOTM would be so required as COTM, but this isn't the case. So the problem isn't if this is monthly, quartely or even annual. I like the idea and I even vote there (if I would make stages again, probably I'd nominate them), but I've to agree with kill SOTM too

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#18  April 05, 2014, 05:52:58 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Sai why did you not try the quarterly thing instead of going ahead and making a voting thread for a scarce month?

That's not a bad idea. I'm gonna give it one more month with slightly modified rules (2 nominations instead of 3, 15 total entries instead of 20) and see how it goes. I'm willing to see how things pan out first and take it from there.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#19  April 05, 2014, 05:56:27 am
  • (´ー`)ノ

Okay.
#20  April 05, 2014, 05:58:40 am
    • USA
I really don't think it's worth doing it another month. The past two have proved pretty conclusively that this is just not gonna work out monthly. Trying it another month is not gonna change things. There's already a number of people calling for outright canceling the entire shindig. It's time to call it a lost cause and try and move on from it.

And now is the exact the right time to try out a quarterly system; pushing that up a month risks making it even more fraught and unpopulated.

Posted: April 05, 2014, 06:06:06 am
I mean seriously; the discussion right now is not whether it should be monthly or quarterly, it's whether this is worth doing at all.