YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Brawl Samus Release 0.7 7/10/14 (Read 95154 times)

Started by Odb718, January 19, 2012, 10:49:10 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Brawl Samus Early WIP
#61  December 11, 2012, 11:39:44 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
WOW! ExShadow, I'm seriously impressed. If I'm done with Samus before that stage is finished, I might have to delay the release :P
I have a couple ideas for an intro. One would be the Super Metroid door, where the stage is black and she goes through the door and the stage appears. I'd have to look into making a special intro just for that stage. Right now she only has the sitting down, getting up intro.

Kayetayo, I like your ideas. I think a good shoulder, slam the p2 off the wall, then super jump to send them flying would be awesome. Maybe steal the graphics from SM of the ship going to Zebes and have the player fly off the planet.

One thing I'm thinking about implementing is the multi-bomb release from Super Metroid. I have the charge shot working pretty good. In SM she could charge, drop into the ball, and I think 5 or 7 bombs would all be released in a cluster around her. Because she's so heavily reliant on projectile missiles I'm trying to come up with as many moves as possible.

The sounds are coming a long slowly. I've used goldwave to adjust them, but they still seem flat or not as loud as the other characters. I'm going to have to compare their properties to some other character sounds I guess.
 I think Nintendo also could pause sounds and play from the pause position. The charge beam seems to be an obvious one. I have to look into figuring out how to do it properly in Mugen.

A Christmas release doesnt look probable, but she's very playable.... I want to get past obvious short comings so I get solid feedback on her. Not just, "ZOMFG! Her sounds doesnt werk!!"

Anyways, its 5:40am and I gotta wake my GF up so she can study for her P-Chem exam <_<
Keep you guys posted.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#62  December 11, 2012, 04:06:22 pm
  • Thats just Bassist.

Kayetayo, I like your ideas. I think a good shoulder, slam the p2 off the wall, then super jump to send them flying would be awesome. Maybe steal the graphics from SM of the ship going to Zebes and have the player fly off the planet.

One thing I'm thinking about implementing is the multi-bomb release from Super Metroid. I have the charge shot working pretty good. In SM she could charge, drop into the ball, and I think 5 or 7 bombs would all be released in a cluster around her. Because she's so heavily reliant on projectile missiles I'm trying to come up with as many moves as possible.

That sounds nice. How about giving her a command grab. Something like venoms or spiderman web grab in marvel vs capcom, she could swing the opponent to the other side or slam them to the ground or you couldMake it act like scorpions spear and pul the opponent. Also she is  heavy kicker in smash brothers so she could have decent kick normals and command normals that could set up to her long range shot like missiles and beams.
#63  December 13, 2012, 02:21:19 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Quick video of the stage:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Check your pm for more info dude.
#64  December 13, 2012, 03:16:29 am
  • Shakespear.
Wow ^. Very nice work Ex.  Might try slowing the clouds down just a bit, but beautiful either way.

Odb, as someone who's done music recording for about a decade, if her sounds seem 'flat' try adjusting the EQ by bringing up only some of the highest frequencies, and also some of the lowest.  Mess around with just how much of each, but that tends to help sometimes.

Also, hell yeah +1 for the multi bomb. 

Posted: December 13, 2012, 03:22:39 am
That sounds nice. How about giving her a command grab. Something like venoms or spiderman web grab in marvel vs capcom, she could swing the opponent to the other side or slam them to the ground or you couldMake it act like scorpions spear and pul the opponent. Also she is  heavy kicker in smash brothers so she could have decent kick normals and command normals that could set up to her long range shot like missiles and beams.
Liking these ideas using the grapple beam.  You could even have a swing kick, where it grabs either the top off screen, or the wall behind the opponent, and pulls her in for a kick or shoulder charge.  Could make for a nice combo opener. 
#65  December 13, 2012, 03:22:39 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I would try slowing them down, but that might raise the side a bit above, where it would want to be used lol

Then again, I do play on fast 3, so it's a bit faster than normal.
#66  December 13, 2012, 03:25:32 am
  • Shakespear.
Right on.  Looking at it again, the faster moving clouds do sort of imply a windier or 'lively' atmosphere too.  Again, Excellent job. 
#67  December 24, 2012, 09:09:18 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I do have the grapple beam move from smash bros brawl. It only "pokes" you in the air. On the ground you slide over and can get slapped around or tossed into the air. She can charge her normal fierce punch. The "stomp" kick is just a button press. I might make it charge.

If I can find a good set of images of a metroid I could make an ultra/special where a metroid tracks you down and sucks energy.

Seeing as I'm super busy with the holidays nothing's REALLY going to get done until after the 2nd or 3rd.
But until then Merry Christmas. I hope you guys have an awesome new year(s)!
#68  December 24, 2012, 08:30:13 pm
  • Shakespear.
Nice, you've got the grapple beam throw in there.  Charging fierce punch Super Metroid style sounds great too.  If you get a full charge, will she hold the charge until next time she fires, or does she just shoot the fully charged blast asap?

Also, google is loaded with good 2d metroid sprites, but I'm not sure if they're what you're thinking or if they fit the style of your Samus.  Here are a couple of the better 2d ones I found on a quick search.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/MP2D/ar/t1762.htm
http://spriters-resource.com/snes/smetroid/sheet/1725
http://www.scrollboss.illmosis.net/customsprites.php?g=nintendo#metroid
http://primeop.deviantart.com/art/Metroid-sprite-fighter-scale-336320871
The last two look the best IMO. (The last one is his deviant art account)

Then there was this, which looks a bit more like hyper BG material, but who knows?
http://www.diygamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/metroid.jpg

This page has quite a few really good single images:
http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_Metroid#Omega_Metroid

And finally a few angles of a decent 3d render that you might be able to coax some subtle motion out of.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/File:Metroid_Render_Gene_Kohler.png

Hope your holidays go well!

EDIT:  The last one down on this page might make a nice defense bubble similar to ssb.  There are lots of pages after, all worth checking out.  http://mrbubblewand.wordpress.com/category/animations/
#69  December 29, 2012, 10:52:35 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Awesome! Thanks Robot! I have the snes set in now. The metroid does nothing. I just wanted to see it in game because...

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
I took the set, mainly just color edits and started work on up'ing the resolution. I wanted to keep it as "asymmetrically symmetrical" as possible. Obviously I'm still working on the "teeth and the gums" of the metroid. The color of the brain or what ever it is pulses, but I think I might make the red stuff move too. Just wanted to show what I've been working on. The GF is asleep so Im doing as much as I can. :P

As for the blast gun. Right now she can charge and hold indefinatly. She can also roll backwards as soon as the charge starts, by hitting back,back. The back roll can be done any point of the charge, not just the very beginning. There's an MvC2 Jill that can hold a charged up charge forward move. The code looks a little complex but I'll review how the person did it and take notes. I DO want Samus to be able to walk with it on full blast like SSBB. So she couldnt walk unless she lets go of the button or finishes the charge.

As for the SSBB guard bubble, I personally think it'd weaken Samus way too much. So many players can keep the enemy blocking in the corner for a good bit of time. That's why I made sure Samus has a push block. There's just no way a SSBB character could handle 9 out of 10 mugen characters. IMO.

Anyways, more to do.

Posted: January 14, 2013, 09:01:43 pm
So I've been busy with Samus. I have a "Metroid" Ultra 80% working. Samus Calls out a metroid, it flies toward's P2. P2 can block it and the metroid will bounce off. If the Metroid connects it starts to drain P2's health. P2 can fight P1 while the Metroid is attached. After a few seconds the Metroid tries to latch onto Samus. If it connects with Samus then she regains health. If the Metroid never connects with P2 it flies away after a couple seconds. It flies away once it's done giving Samus health. If the Metroid's on the screen when Samus wins it flies to the center of the screen and "dances".

I've also edited about 500 of the 2100 sprites of Samus. There are some odd colored pixels in Samus' midriff and back. When the pallet for the arm-cannon and stomach are very different, the discoloration is noticeable. So I'm editing it out. It's taking a very long time. I did about 3 hours on it today.

I've also tightened up a lot of her special moves. The spin attack is one. The heat seeking missiles have been greatly improved. The animation no longer switches instantly when you jump over or fall past it fast. I've also editing some ground and air velocities to make them close to what happens in SSBB.

The Metroid ultra has taken up most of my time but I plan on getting Samus walking around with the super charge soon. Its pretty major in SSBB and I want it to have that same dominance in mugen.
#70  January 24, 2013, 12:55:52 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Can't wait to add Samus to my roster. MUGEN needs more good Nintendo characters!
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#71  February 04, 2013, 07:31:06 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Apparently it's taken 20 days of working on and off of editing the sprites to get them all finished.
I'M DONE!!!
Well with editing out the discoloration.

Back to editing the code.

Posted: February 07, 2013, 05:36:49 am
More work has been done. I've added an additional 280ish sprites to Samus. Two throw moves, a Run forward, a dodge, and like two other moves I forget.
Some of the sprites showed up with the discoloration. It's an easy fix, just time time time.
FF3 likes deleting or reverting my work on animations and sprites for some reason. I lost about 2 hours of work the other night. I know it's not me because I save just about every time I press Launch to test in mugen.

I need to do the collision boxes for the animations I've added in. I need to tighten up the Metroid code a bit. There's a bug if I call multiple Metroids out at a time. I dont plan on that being able to happen, but I'd rather kill it then let it stay.

I need a couple effects for the Metroid if anyone's interested in doing that?
I need the Metroid sucking P2's energy and then giving it back to Samus. so two electric fields would work I guess. Most of my effect sprites arent very good.

Posted: March 05, 2013, 10:50:21 am
I'd like some help coming up with creating some more pallets. I've created 4 that are pretty standard. 1 is a little funky.

Every time I try to come up with a new one it doesnt look very good. I'd like at least 6 awesome ones. 12 would be ideal. The problem is the green from the visor is in the gun. There's no simple way of doing a color separation for it or I would in a heart beat.

Posted: March 19, 2013, 10:08:03 pm
Here is an early beta. I've ripped a lot of the stuff that wasnt working 100% out.
http://host-a.net/u/Odb718/Samus718.rar
I have a completely different copy of Samus I'm working on. This is just to show how she plays and to get feed back.

I'd like people to help make effects for her. I left a lot of the crappy effects as place fillers. PLEASE HELP. I'm going to start working on a few sprite rips of the characters here >>> http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/optimuspitkrillinwarspawn-which-character-should-i-sprite-147720.msg1704112.html#msg1704112
#72  March 19, 2013, 11:29:13 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Going to test her out, thanks for sharing
#73  March 19, 2013, 11:43:14 pm
i tested her
-the clsn are good
-her crouch medium punch is a little slow
-the characters dont get pushed back when they get hit by the missiles
-i forgot what this move is called but when samus shoots and it brings the opponent behind them it feels like its a grab
- the combos are good
-the missiles dont have exploding hit sparks
-when she trips her enemy it hits two times before the enemy touches the ground but im not sure if you wanted to do that
this is a good beta and you will solve those problems i enjoyed testing her so keep it up this is a good project
#74  March 20, 2013, 12:03:32 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
Thanks, going to test her out. Will provide feedback soon.

- Hitsparks are misaligned on normals, and her special move.
- I assume you don't have all the hit sounds yet since her charge attack didn't have any?
- The clsns are okay though I think it's better to surrounded the feet with clsns rather than separating them. Preferably shorten them to 3-5 blue clsns at max.
Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:38:15 am by SXVector
Re: Super Smash Bros Brawl Samus Release 0.5
#75  March 20, 2013, 07:05:37 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
This is beyond awesome, giving feedback now. ;)

- There are too many hitboxes on all of Samus's frames, IMO CLSN's needs a alot of work.
   - Try decreasing the amount of hitboxes per frame.
- Jumps feel unnatural and jerky to me, not sure why though.  Maybe she should jump higher?
- Why did you allow Samus to have so much control during her jumps?
- IMO Second jump would be cool if she balled up similar to the way she does in SSBB (This is just my opinion though) :P
- Running Tackle is slower than expected and would be better if it had more impact and knocked down P2  IMO.
   - Also, running K and P both shouldn't be able to perform Running Tackle.
- Running Tackle knocks P2 too far when it connects.
- Standing M. Punch would be better if it hit 2x instead of once.
- I like how Samus is able to charge H. Punch, fucking YES. :yes:
   - Fully charged standing H. punch should be a very useful utility (guard crushing properties, stun the opponent, cause while bounce, etc.)
      - It would also be cool if you added some flashing FX to it (A'la SSBB)... That of course will come much later. :P
- Crouching H. punch pops the opponent way too high IMO.
   - Are you aiming for MvC gameplay?
- Air H. punch should be similar to a Meteor Smash move (Knock opponent to the ground).
- It would be awesome if crouching H. kick were chargable as well (A'la SSBB). 
   - Maybe if fully charged it can pop P2 into the air?
- If crouching H. kick connects under certain conditions, a cloning bug occurs :S:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
- Air velocities during the air grab are extremely skewed.
- The speed of the missiles are too slow.
   - Missiles should start out slow and gradually get faster the further they go.
- While firing missiles in the air, Samus floats way to high.
   - IMHO, Samus should either be either stationary while firing missiles in the air or pushed back by the force of her missiles.
- Did you ever think about adding SSBB-like controls to the missiles (D, F x = Normal Missile, D, hold F, x = Power Missile)?
- I love the homing missiles however, they seem a too precise.
- Drill Kick could be a command normal ( U, kick).
   - CLSN could cover most of Samus's body to give it a sort of priority.
- Screw Attack goes too high.
- Screw Attack is better fit for Samus's anti-air.
   - It'd be more useful if it moved diagonally though.
- Blast Wall would be awesome if it had more priority.
   - I don't think it should be performed using the DP motion though.
       - It could be used as a sort of follow-up move after fully charged H. P/crouching H. K. :S
- Blast Wall can cause the opponent to fly way out of screen under certain conditions.
- Charge shot's startup is entirely to slow.  Shouldn't it be slower than her missle?
   - It'd be awesome if Samus could hold her shot until she's ready to use it (A'la SSBB).
       - Or maybe the charge feature could be similar to MvC Megaman's/Zero's charge (Hold punch = profit)?
- Taunt needs to be smoothed out.
- Do you think that you'll implement Samus's grapple beam in the future? :P
*Edit: Please do away with the guardpush, IMO she doesn't need it!

I love the ideas you put into Samus and I think this is awesome overall.  My biggest grudge are the huge popups.
They make this character seem too similar to the "Lol MvC style" many characters fall victim to.
I'm definitely looking forward to future updates! ^_^
Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:46:22 am by TRUEMicah
#76  March 20, 2013, 11:42:27 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Personally I like what's done so far.  Here are my thoughts:

- Personally I feel as if the launcher sends the opponent too high.-
- I feel as though the super missile should push the opponent back a lot further, similar to the way it does in ssbb.
- Crouching anim feels a bit slow.
- Air homing missiles go off the bottom of screen instead of exploding when reaching the floor?

Seems to have a lot of potential, good luck finishing it.
#77  March 20, 2013, 12:28:18 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Seems nice.
Can I ask something about create characters with xnalara?
How can you be sure color palette will be the same from a frame to another one when you capture them in xnalara?
Seems enigmatic to me...

Good luck on it!
#78  March 20, 2013, 04:13:07 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the palette is post processed I guess.
#79  March 22, 2013, 01:56:09 am
  • They Don't call me MUGreed for nothin'!!
    • USA
    • wakawakawhoops@gmail.com
this looks rather interesting. If only it were converted into a CVS version. Can it be done? sorry if I'm asking too much and being rude at the same time.
#80  March 22, 2013, 02:52:15 am
  • Niigasan
everything doesnt have to be cvs, when theres to much demand of one certain thing, eventually comes diminishing value..