YesNoOk

New Features in Mugen 1.1 Alpha 4? (Read 6017 times)

Started by usetheforcehan, May 28, 2013, 04:34:32 am
Share this topic:
New Features in Mugen 1.1 Alpha 4?
#1  May 28, 2013, 04:34:32 am
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
    • usetheforcehan.deviantart.com
Finally after a long time of period, a new mugen engine is released (or leaked whatever).

My question is is there any new features compared to the old 1.0?
And it's said that it now support 32bit png files, is this mean that the image and sprite doesn't have to be indexed? Then what about image/sprite linked to the palette color?

Has .pcx format have become obsolete in the future of mugen?

I don't know if this should go to Mugen Discussion or Development. You can moved it to the appropriated section if you want.
Re: New Features in Mugen 1.1 Alpha 4?
#2  May 28, 2013, 05:18:30 am
  • Old works Web Down here ¥
    • Puerto Rico
    • http://dragolink1.webs.com/
it's said that it now support 32bit png files, is this mean that the image and sprite doesn't have to be indexed? Then what about image/sprite linked to the palette color?

Thats what i want to know, And How...
#3  May 28, 2013, 05:29:46 am
    • USA
32 bit images use no palettes at all and can be added to the sff just like any other pic that used another palette and didn't share its palette with the character. Most of the people use 32 bit images for menues, effects, text, graphics, etc, and not for the character itself. Basically every 32 bit image you add to your sff acts as just a sprite with its own palette (And new to 1.1, with its own alpha channel).

You were able to use png instead of pcx since mugen 1.0 already so if the format is obsolete or not is up to you as it makes no difference which format you use for the sprites in the sff file.
#4  May 28, 2013, 06:52:04 am
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
Thanks Rednavi, I know what you mean.

So basically, If you want to use/link certain image into a color palette (like sprite color linked to the big portrait color), use .pcx format.
If the image does not need a color palette and you want the image quality to be higher, not limited to the 256 color (like image for lifebars, title menu, stage bg, etc), use .png format.

This pretty much answer all my questions, and does anyone know a link to the mugen 1.1 Alpha 4 documents/readme?
I want to know the change between the old one.
#5  May 28, 2013, 06:55:37 am
    • Puerto Rico
But, i cant make a 32 bit PNG image... Im Using Photoshop CS5
#6  May 28, 2013, 07:07:03 am
    • USA

I'm not sure if you really know what 32 bit image means. It means you no longer need to reduce the color count to 256 in order to use the image. I don't think there's a single photoshop version (Or any image editor software for all purposes) that would limit you to such color count at all times, no matter how old it is.

Thanks Rednavi, I know what you mean.

So basically, If you want to use/link certain image into a color palette (like sprite color linked to the big portrait color), use .pcx format.
If the image does not need a color palette and you want the image quality to be higher, not limited to the 256 color (like image for lifebars, title menu, stage bg, etc), use .png format.

This pretty much answer all my questions, and does anyone know a link to the mugen 1.1 Alpha 4 documents/readme?
I want to know the change between the old one.

Correct, except that mugen ALSO accepts PNG with color count reduced to 256. So in fact if you want to, you can drop pcx altogether and just use PNG for everything. I'm not sure what's the difference in file size thought. About the documents, they must be bundled with mugen 1.1, you just need to take a better look at the html files inside the docs folder since it's not called "MUGEN 1.1 NEWS" or anything like that.
#7  May 28, 2013, 07:21:44 am
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
When creating a new file (Ctrl+N) set the Color Mode into RGB 8 bit.
8 bit per channel = 8 x Red Green Blue Alpha = 8 x 4 = 32 bit.
Then save it as png. If you want a reduced size png, save in File>Save for Web.

Didn't know that png can be set to save in reduced color. Gotta lurk moar on google I guess.
Thanks again for the help Rednavi! Cheers! :)
#8  May 28, 2013, 08:38:59 am
    • Puerto Rico
I have saved the 8bit Png image, and changed a sprite in the sff file, When i save the file in Mugen 1.1 Fromat the Img doesnt shows up...