YesNoOk

Ad fly (Read 51577 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
Share this topic:
Ad fly
#1  June 24, 2016, 05:47:10 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
So I want to bring this up here and see where we all stand. We all know and understand the risks of adfly. But now that we blacklisted ma it seems all kinds of ppl use it. O Illusionista, Chuchoryu, MMV and who knows how many others.

I'm to the point where I want to just get rid of this rule and let the sites do what they want. It's starting to feel like we are policing again. And I think it's stirring up more than it should.

Discuss
Re: Ad fly
#2  June 24, 2016, 05:50:16 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
making money off others peoples work in mugen is bad. stick with this rule.
#3  June 24, 2016, 05:51:32 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I have a project wonderful ad so in a way even I make money! :p
New #4  June 24, 2016, 06:04:42 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Shouldn't this ultimately cover other ad referral sites like this (as we find them)?

I just know ad fly is probably the most well known and infected one (I know [postmortem Gill edit; I might want to remove that] is basically another URL for ad fly)
Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:10:44 pm by Orochi Gill
#5  June 24, 2016, 06:11:02 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
these are my personal thoughts on it.

Dont monetize other peoples work or we wont link to you ( Ie adfly on content you didnt make of active users that are around)
avoid using adfly all together its a dangerous browser hijacker that might fuck your system .
dont post adfly or other money making scheme type links at all on guild.

I understand hosting costs money for most people and so I dont expect them to be able to host old files of gone people for nothing, I would still prefer if they use adsense instead of something as shitty as adfly.

I dont really care if a creator is using adfly on their own stuff on their own site, they are fucking their fans and they had a fair warning of it, so they know what they are doing, even if they are also hosting content from bygone creators.  So I dont feel that strongly about banning those that do it on their own site for their own crap or stuff of people that isnt around.

There is a morally wrong area when you start charging adfly , which is already dangerous, for material of other people, who obviously have the safe hosting that doesnt need adfly to run. Its like charging money for  a plate for a steak you removed from its original plate. Its nonsensical.

I dont like black listing anything, but I dont feel comfortable with letting things go that far.
#6  June 24, 2016, 06:13:10 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Mugen Archive specifically is hosting other people's content without their permission while also hiding it behind dangerous, virus infested ads. It's the combination of both things that puts it over the line; I agree that we should be careful and try to avoid policing the community but there are still some things that are beyond the pale.
#7  June 24, 2016, 06:35:15 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
There's no point (ugh) in backing off. We are right on principle. Our userbase isn't against this move. The minor inconveniences this decision caused are ephemeral.
#8  June 24, 2016, 11:13:15 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Do we go full ban on any site? Or do we only do it for warehouse + adfly? It just feels like it's a slippery slope to me and the lines can blur. Like, what if there are edits on the site? That's not completely someone else's work.

And if we go full ban on any site with it that links here we have to filter mmv, o Illusionista, and chuchoryu' sites. Among a plethora of others probably. And that just kinda feels wrong.
#9  June 24, 2016, 03:25:39 pm
    • Thailand
Filter any site that uses ad links to link to stuff that isn't theirs. People can click ad links at their own risk, like anywhere else on the internet.

At most, require a spoiler with a warning message for people who use ad links to link to their own work.
Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:32:27 pm by Palette Jesus
#10  June 24, 2016, 08:06:32 pm
    • USA
Do we go full ban on any site? Or do we only do it for warehouse + adfly? It just feels like it's a slippery slope to me and the lines can blur. Like, what if there are edits on the site? That's not completely someone else's work.
Only for warehouses.

We don't really need to try and think about hypotheticals now, because MA is the only place that's of any concern right now. But if there was a situation where a warehouse had original or edited content on it, in addition to the usual warehoused stuff, it still shouldn't change anything. The site should still be banned.
#11  June 25, 2016, 02:44:21 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Alright. I guess it's simple enough for us to squabble amongst ourselves if something is questionable enough to determine if it'd be a full on warehouse.

Should we enforce the spoiler with warning idea Rajaa suggested for non warehouse links? I kinda liked that idea.
#12  June 25, 2016, 02:46:08 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Yeah I think it's one worth going for. A warning if they don't mention it and a mod edit to add the spoiler if they don't put it on themselves.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#13  June 25, 2016, 03:55:35 am
    • USA
That sounds fine.
#14  June 25, 2016, 02:49:50 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
how would that work? moderator inserts a warning in spoiler in the post stating "adfly has been known for delivering adware in the past andmight infect your system use caution when using it" ?

I dont think a warning on it should be punishable when disregarded, i cant imagine chuchoryu even understanding what we are talking about, the guy is like 12 and pretends to be a pit fighter in real life as if that was believable.
#15  June 26, 2016, 01:05:25 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It doesn't have to be a serious offense to not do it. Just ask the user and add it yourself. PPL can report it so we can edit the link.
Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#16  October 02, 2016, 02:05:36 am
  • Why do the avatars have to be so damn small :c
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
You can't link to that website because the download link has adfly. I'd rather not get viruses on my computer.
Re: Re: Spec Ops Alpha Doll released
#17  October 02, 2016, 02:42:00 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
No, I can link it. Its on my own website. What I can't do is to post an AD REFERRALS ARE FORBIDDEN link here.
You can ask Iced about this if you want, I am just following his instructions.

Just click on the link at the top right. Any download which appear before this you can ignore.
#18  October 02, 2016, 03:32:35 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
#19  October 02, 2016, 03:39:11 am
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:53:58 am by BrawlTheMan
#20  October 02, 2016, 04:22:28 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
I have some really negative feedback on this one. Her special attacks seem to leave her open for way too long, in fact, her grenade toss seems to take long to do everything, it takes long for her to juggle, then throw, then bounce, then explode, her hypers also seem to have inconsistent damage, as some have way more damage than others, and her AI is really weak in comparison to any Spec Ops character and has some weird interactions, as it sometimes it will keep juggling the grenade for even longer and during that intro where she uses Bison's cape and her hair changes colors, she will start attacking before the round begins.

About her AI, I stated at the first topic that she doesn't have a decent AI yet, just a basic one.
About the other points, I will take a look, thanks.

You can't link to that website because the download link has adfly. I'd rather not get viruses on my computer.

There's sites that can bypass it, just sayin'

So there's no problem with using Mugen Archive then? What happened to "Adfly causes viruses" and all that? Isn't this still putting people at risk?

Mugen Archive is a different thing. They host material that weren't made by them and earn from it. Mine is a different case. And I've been using this for 4 or 5 years and nobody bothered me with that.
#21  October 02, 2016, 04:25:59 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
While I personally dislike it on principle, the staff's consensus was that that using adfly is ok as long as it's on one's own works and the release includes a proper warning (which I'll add right now).
#22  October 02, 2016, 04:28:02 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
So even if its on my own site, with no automatic redirection (you have to click on it)...we still need to have a warning?
That is odd.

According to the staff words, its ok: http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2293189

Edit: oh cool. Which such "cute" warning nobody will click to see the character. Well played...
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:40:26 am by O Ilusionista
#23  October 02, 2016, 04:43:21 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It really should have a warning to let people know the site has adfly links. We argued about this back and forth a lot in private. We even have the rules updated in private to reflect this but like most things I haven't finished them so they're still sitting there waiting. It would have really prevented this whole issue had I finished them a few months back and posted them after we finally reached our decision.

So technically for now there is no rule that covers this but you should get accustomed to adding adfly warnings. I apologize for not being a more prompt admin. I've been letting my coding take up too much of my time and not devoting it to finishing many things on the forum as I should.

With that said Congrats on another release :)
#24  October 02, 2016, 04:46:48 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
It really should have a warning to let people know the site has adfly links.
Ok, but can we at least change that warning to something whic sound less, how can I saw, a Doom warning? The way it is sounds like something will explod with the user click on it and this will lower A LOT the chance of people to get the character. Since this won't make much sense to me, I think I will do prefer to simply remove the post itself.

With that said Congrats on another release
Thanks buddy.
#25  October 02, 2016, 04:50:26 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll send you a PM so we won't keep messing up your thread.
#26  October 02, 2016, 04:57:25 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
We should move this thread to feedback considering there's public interest on the subject again.
#27  October 02, 2016, 05:01:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Done
#28  October 02, 2016, 05:10:26 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Did I miss something, what public interest?
#29  October 02, 2016, 05:13:09 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
O Illusionista released a new character. He uses adfly. Small discussion about this in reports thread.
#30  October 02, 2016, 05:13:59 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I consider it of 'public interest' if half of the posts in one release thread are about the subject and not the release.
#31  October 02, 2016, 05:18:57 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Guys, I really don't want to bring any issue or cause any harm to anybody here. I can even remove the topic if this is a problem.
I  just would not like to see my site blacklisted. I know its your house and your rules, but I just think this could be a tad too much, like using a cannon to hit the head of an ant (as we say here).

My case is very different than the other options listed above, since the adf link is places at my own site, not here directly.

Again, I don't want to cause any harm here and this had desmotivated me a lot, so I apologize.

Thanks.
#32  October 02, 2016, 05:34:28 am
My case is very different than the other options listed above, since the adf link is places at my own site, not here directly.
this doesn't really make a difference, it just means the user has to make more clicks to get to the ad fly link.

there was a huge multipage argument against mugen archive and the main reason against the site was that it had adf links all over the place. there were several posts with evidence that the site was spreading malware, even users from this forum saying they got crippling malware from adf years ago. you can google and find plenty of people talking about the malware it spreads

which is why i don't understand why there's this gray area to allow adf links when it seems pretty clear to me that adf is risky
#33  October 02, 2016, 05:40:29 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Guys, I really don't want to bring any issue or cause any harm to anybody here. I can even remove the topic if this is a problem.
I  just would not like to see my site blacklisted. I know its your house and your rules, but I just think this could be a tad too much, like using a cannon to hit the head of an ant (as we say here).

Again, I don't want to cause any harm here and this had desmotivated me a lot, so I apologize.

Thanks.
I'd prefer if you kept posting your releases on this forum, because you're a long standing and well know member of our community, but our users at the very least deserve to know there's a chance (however small) their pcs will get infected with adware/trojans/cryptoware.

But if you don't like my cigarette package warnings, that's fine too.
#34  October 02, 2016, 05:44:35 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
this doesn't really make a difference, it just means the user has to make more clicks to get to the ad fly link.

there was a huge multipage argument against mugen archive and the main reason against the site was that it had adf links all over the place. there were several posts with evidence that the site was spreading malware, even users from this forum saying they got crippling malware from adf years ago. you can google and find plenty of people talking about the malware it spreads

which is why i don't understand why there's this gray area to allow adf links when it seems pretty clear to me that adf is risky

I understand your point. But, in the other hand, this is a case that is beyond the jurisdiction of this site, because it is in another site and there is not automatic redirection (something which would make me agree with you, which is kinda rare).

But, again, I don't want to bring any trouble.

Thanks.
I'd prefer if you kept posting your releases on this forum, because you're a long standing and well know member of our community, but our users at the very least deserve to know there's a chance (however small) their pcs will get infected with adware/trojans/cryptoware.

Thanks for the consideration. I understand your point and even agree with you. I just think this warning could be made in my page, not here. Using the cigarette as an example, is like to post a warning about it on someone's house door instead of the package. Got it?

I just feel bad for bringing such discussion again to the table.
I really, really like this analogy
#35  October 02, 2016, 05:51:44 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala

Thanks for the consideration. I understand your point and even agree with you. I just think this warning could be made in my page, not here. Using the cigarette as an example, is like to post a warning about it on someone's house door instead of the package. Got it?
...not really, no. In the cigarette analogy the forum warning is actually more akin to the (mandatory) public warnings tobacco ads in radio and tv spots have at the end. An actual package warning would be adfly itself warning the user before redirecting him, which they of course would never do. Having the warning on your site is more like selling unmarked packages but having the store clerk tell you smoking causes emphysema and lung cancer.
#36  October 02, 2016, 05:59:18 am
But, in the other hand, this is a case that is beyond the jurisdiction of this site, because it is in another site and there is not automatic redirection
this isn't any different from mugen archive. nobody from mugen archive came here to post direct adf links. the issue was that their site was using adf links, which makes it no different from yours in that regard
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:02:54 am by Titiln
#37  October 02, 2016, 06:05:57 am
    • USA
I would expect any mugen creator who uses Patreon and other crowdfunding methods to never have to rely on extra stuff like adfly to get some extra pocket change. IDK why people even bother with adfly to begin with, it doesn't give you enough money to be relevant and putting your userbase through the risk of getting their PC infected to download your stuff is honestly a dick move.
#38  October 02, 2016, 08:30:07 am
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
The point of the whole Mugen Archive debacle was not because they were making money off of other people's work, or that they were dicks about it (they were, but neither of those things were the ultimate goal). What was the ultimate goal was that adfly caused malware, and put users at risk. It's hypocritical to crucify one site that gives people viruses, then give a free pass to another site that gives people viruses just because they make stuff you like.

Either Adfly is a good thing, or it's a bad thing. There is no middle ground in this issue.
#39  October 02, 2016, 10:52:57 am
Can someone re-upload it, maybe to mediafire? I can't download files from the ad site (because I forced adblock not to, for security reasons).
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:18:43 pm by AlexSin
#40  October 02, 2016, 02:45:14 pm
    • Germany
I would expect any mugen creator who uses Patreon and other crowdfunding methods to never have to rely on extra stuff like adfly to get some extra pocket change. IDK why people even bother with adfly to begin with, it doesn't give you enough money to be relevant and putting your userbase through the risk of getting their PC infected to download your stuff is honestly a dick move.

I checked O Ilusionista's Patreon, and right now he only gets 47$ per Month, that you have a Patreon doesn't mean that you automatically get showered with Money, so I can understand why he is relying on extra stuff.
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:48:52 pm by Lichtbringer
#41  October 02, 2016, 03:43:46 pm

ExL

#42  October 02, 2016, 03:49:49 pm
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
O Ilusionista isn't showering with money, that's for sure, it's the opposite. Would've donated him if I had something to fill own pockets, sadly I'm not. It's bad manners to count money in other's pockets, but the point is - there different situations where person forced to something that should be avoided otherwise. Not that adfly is a crime or adfly=infected PC, even mediafire isn't that safe anymore. I know Ilu for a long time, if he could rid of adfly he'd did it instantly, he means no harm to anyone. We all want ourselves and our family members to be alive, not starving and have proper medicine...
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#43  October 02, 2016, 04:19:29 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
It's probably worth mentioning that back when Oak the Shadow Dragon or whatever shoved referrals on his stuff (that was behind a bunch of other things) he was also told to remove them, like Blade Art was.

Ilu as much as I like you, ad referrals like that are an easy target for malware injections. I'm less worried about the money; in this case it's your own (and more original) content.
Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:42:58 pm by Orochi Gill
#44  October 02, 2016, 06:27:08 pm
The adfly link is not working for me. It just redirects back to adfly. Direct link please.
#45  October 02, 2016, 06:28:36 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
#46  October 02, 2016, 06:33:13 pm
#47  October 02, 2016, 08:05:51 pm
    • USA
I checked O Ilusionista's Patreon, and right now he only gets 47$ per Month, that you have a Patreon doesn't mean that you automatically get showered with Money, so I can understand why he is relying on extra stuff.

That's $47 more than most of the mugen creators ever get in donations and even if he only earned $5 a month it's still pretty crappy to see someone using both patreon AND adfly rather than look for better and more user-friendly alternatives.

Not that adfly is a crime or adfly=infected PC, even mediafire isn't that safe anymore. I know Ilu for a long time, if he could rid of adfly he'd did it instantly, he means no harm to anyone. We all want ourselves and our family members to be alive, not starving and have proper medicine...

Goggle "is mediafire dangerous?" = Results: 1 person asking if it's safe (Internet newbie) and another thread from 2010 where a guy trying to make the site look dangerous gets shot down fast. The rest of the results are largely irrelevant.

Google "is adfly dangerous?" = Results: They speak by themselves.

The cents gained from adfly aren't worth the trouble you're putting your userbase behind.
#48  October 02, 2016, 11:31:43 pm
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
Maybe the service he uses prevents him from removing adfly? I know some websites have services like that.
#49  October 02, 2016, 11:44:11 pm
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Wait, there's seriously hosting sites that automatically add adfly and prevent removal? What the fuck?
#50  October 02, 2016, 11:50:51 pm
    • USA
Maybe the service he uses prevents him from removing adfly? I know some websites have services like that.

Yeah, because using a much better service that does not force you to use adfly is not an option here, right? Come on...
#51  October 03, 2016, 12:03:32 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#52  October 03, 2016, 12:39:36 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
Oh good

For a second there I thought it was. :uhoh:
#53  October 03, 2016, 07:32:00 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar
Hello everybody.
The only reason because use that ad.fly is: that gives ya money. I dunno if that automatically stick in the site and file links.

#54  October 03, 2016, 01:54:54 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The fact that this is being discussed tells me you might as well lift the ban on MA. Haven't you guys been shutting down referrals and similar stuff before? The moment someone we like does the same and suddenly "Hold up, we should reconsider this."

The point of the whole Mugen Archive debacle was not because they were making money off of other people's work, or that they were dicks about it (they were, but neither of those things were the ultimate goal). What was the ultimate goal was that adfly caused malware, and put users at risk. It's hypocritical to crucify one site that gives people viruses, then give a free pass to another site that gives people viruses just because they make stuff you like.

Either Adfly is a good thing, or it's a bad thing. There is no middle ground in this issue.

This. I'm sorry about Ilu, but he should be subject to the same rules as everyone else. Either it's blacklisted until the adfly is gone or Mugen Archive should be allowed to be linked here again.
#55  October 03, 2016, 02:17:41 pm
The moment someone we like does the same and suddenly "Hold up, we should reconsider this."
No one (in the staff) said we should reconsider this. Everyone's trying to convince Ilu to abandon it, and the outcome is quite clear if he doesn't.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#56  October 03, 2016, 03:32:57 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I dunno, seemed that way to me.
#57  October 03, 2016, 05:53:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
in a practical way, what would the difference be between using adfly and the next second best alternative (ad revenue wise) ? 5 usd less per month for using ad sense or whichever it the other alternative ?
#58  October 03, 2016, 05:54:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#59  October 03, 2016, 05:57:56 pm

Thanks.

Adfly is harmful to people's computers. I've enjoyed your work since I got into mugen, but not enough to repeatedly expose my computer to malware. You should look into different ways to monetize your content. How much does adfly make you? If it's low enough, I'd just pay you to remove it from your site myself.
#60  October 03, 2016, 07:25:29 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
#61  October 03, 2016, 07:36:58 pm
look at the rates page i linked to and combine those numbers with the total downloads (except the appliable number is probably lower, i don't know if he splits the money with the other creators and i don't know when the site started counting total downloads, but it probably counted before he started using adfly)
#62  October 03, 2016, 11:17:10 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Regardless of O Ilu's financial status, the safety of people's accounts has to come first. I can't think of a compromise that wouldn't negatively impact O Ilu, but as one of the largest English-speaking MUGEN hubs, that's not something we're supposed to figure out in the first place. It's harsh, yes, but keeping everyone's computers safe takes precedence.
#63  October 03, 2016, 11:33:00 pm
    • USA
    • brawlyoshi@gmail.com
No one (in the staff) said we should reconsider this. Everyone's trying to convince Ilu to abandon it, and the outcome is quite clear if he doesn't.

Judging from their posts, I assume Iced and Just No Point are still adamant about keeping brazilmugenteam unblacklisted. The only mods who believe in the contrary are Orochi Gill and Person Man (the latter converted after I made this original post).

I wouldn't be surprised if they were still biased as they let O Ilu do this for years on end without being reprimanded, and this whole thing would've never had happened if I hadn't brought it up (and it would've died quickly too if Titlin and Red Navi had never said anything).
Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:00:09 am by BrawlTheMan
#64  October 03, 2016, 11:44:49 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
^my bad.

ftr I'm against adfly in any way or shape and still think backing off from a full ban was a dumb idea.
#65  October 04, 2016, 12:12:07 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they were still biased as they let O Ilu do this for years on end without being reprimanded, and this whole thing would've never had happened if I hadn't brought it up (and it would've died quickly too if Titlin and Red Navi had never said anything).
in all fairness the gray area they had was for everybody that used adfly for their own content, not specific to ilu. the idea that such a gray area existed in the first place seemed insane to me, considering the mugen archive thread made it seem like adfly was the next black plague.
#66  October 04, 2016, 12:19:26 am
Judging from their posts, I assume Iced and Just No Point are still adamant about keeping brazilmugenteam unblacklisted.
Their posts are dated 3 months back, this thread was revived and moved here when someone asked about O Ilu's site specifically. They haven't posted about it much since.
Also judging from their old posts, they're not so much adamant about keeping BMT links clear as they are about not policing too much. This isn't a "double standard" issue, they just don't know what to do with adfly links as a whole.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#67  October 04, 2016, 01:30:09 am
  • I am hilarious
    • USA
I actually loathe ad referrers as a whole

I have ad fly blocked entirely on my end
#68  October 04, 2016, 01:32:22 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Judging from their posts, I assume Iced and Just No Point are still adamant about keeping brazilmugenteam unblacklisted.
Their posts are dated 3 months back, this thread was revived and moved here when someone asked about O Ilu's site specifically. They haven't posted about it much since.
Also judging from their old posts, they're not so much adamant about keeping BMT links clear as they are about not policing too much. This isn't a "double standard" issue, they just don't know what to do with adfly links as a whole.
This pretty much.

Weve always taken things to votes, and while my opinion hasnt changed.
(IE I think that people that do this are fucking over their fans with ridiculously unsafe procedures for profit margins of cents) I dont want to go around over-policing eveyrthing.

at the time it was decided to lock out mugen archive over their practices and how they were using other people work to generate profit , and they'll remain locked out, the behaviour of their admins and their sheer disrespect for everyone shows that was the right choice.

About bmt and the like? Lets see.
Imo what happened in the release thread was good, people got angry about the choice and started using URL Decrypters, while warning the author of the dangers of using what he uses. If the author chooses to ignore , well thats again them fucking up their fans. But at least we should guarantee that whoever accesses them from the guild is properly warned about the links potential dnager.
Seems like the bare minimum.
#69  October 04, 2016, 03:26:24 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Hi there. It seems that, even unintentionally, I ended up causing some discomfort here.
I was busy and this forum got blocked at my job, so I wasn't able to reply.

Its kinda funny how the subject gone from Ad Fly, to my financial status and to if I am well-connected here, but I will skip this subject.

The moment someone we like...
Are you sure about this? I don't think so, lol. Its quite the opposite...Some people who posted here have clear grudges against me (without a reason, may I say) and loved to poke at me, but, again, I will skip this subject.

First, I would like to thank everyone who posted here, specially JNP which had a long discussion with me, trying to explain the situation to me.
Second, I decided to remove the AD REFERRALS ARE FORBIDDEN from my site. Yes, it helps me to pay my host but maybe I can find another way to make it.

I decide to make this not because I could get blacklisted here since I won't mind too much (sorry if I sound arrogant, its not my intention). Its more a matter of respect to many people who like my work and had messaged me about this.

So I will be removing all those links from my website, but this will take time until I clear it. I hope you guys understand.

Thanks everyone.
#70  October 04, 2016, 04:02:07 am
    • Morocco
Mugen Archive specifically is hosting other people's content without their permission while also hiding it behind dangerous, virus infested ads. It's the combination of both things that puts it over the line; I agree that we should be careful and try to avoid policing the community but there are still some things that are beyond the pale.

Mugen Archive is my no 1 go to for downloads.

Can you guys give me an alternative to this site ?
#71  October 04, 2016, 04:10:59 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I have a fine one I use called Google

Barring that, you can always use the request board to find things that you are looking for or the Does it exist? topic

Be advised, I run occasional clean-up on that topic and if it takes me two seconds to Google your answer I will be nothing nice
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#72  October 04, 2016, 07:44:28 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
#73  October 04, 2016, 02:10:36 pm
MFFA keeps all works in one thread for convenience. Every version of a certain character will be in the thread of the game in question (ie: every Yoshitora in the SamSho thread).

I dare you to use Adfly without protection.
#74  October 04, 2016, 03:23:13 pm
    • Morocco
MFFA keeps all works in one thread for convenience. Every version of a certain character will be in the thread of the game in question (ie: every Yoshitora in the SamSho thread).

I dare you to use Adfly without protection.

Aah ok.

Upon second sight MFFA is not bad at all actually.

Well, the topic of adfly is really none of my business, lol, all that matters to me is that with antivirus I can safely download in adfly links haha ^^

So where's the problem with it really xD It's like doing business with a malicious person : the guy is wicked, but you don't care coz you made your business that's all that matters for you xD
#75  October 04, 2016, 03:23:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

P.S : The request is still up to provide me with a better alternative to Mugen Archive, if anyone know one. Thank you and good day my friends. :)
This is not up for discussion, dont advertise mugen archive here either, they re black listed for a reason.

This is not a thread for your requests on warehouses.
#76  October 04, 2016, 03:40:36 pm
I guess to further elaborate, while most of the userbase here are adults, Mugen is very much a teenage thing. Of course most teens don't own their computers and use their parents or what have you. They probably can't install just "anything" (even if that anything would improve the safety of the cpu) and there's a fair chance they wouldn't have the permission to install Adblock or any other web safety feature. You can see where this would be a problem if they're were to download from Adfly on a regular basis.

We think about the children here. :)
#77  October 04, 2016, 06:39:29 pm
    • Germany
This is not up for discussion, dont advertise mugen archive here either, they re black listed for a reason.

This is not a thread for your requests on warehouses.

Iced calm down, he was just asking for a alternative, because of the Adfly stuff and all of you pretending that the "Site we are not allowed to talk about" is the literal Devil.
#78  October 04, 2016, 06:40:34 pm
Well, like he said, this is not the place to ask.
#79  October 04, 2016, 06:47:25 pm
    • Germany
Well, like he said, this is not the place to ask.

Maybe not, but it would probably ended in a lot of unnecessary drama, if he created a new Topic instead.

Mods and Admins of this site overreact are a little about all this stuff right now.
#80  October 04, 2016, 08:29:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
If a user wants to know whats the best warehouse, the best place to do it is not in the middle of a feedback thread asking about bans on adfly.

Anyone attempting to derail a feedback thread would have had their posts fully removed. I only erased those where he tried to go offtopic about having people prove to him what warehouse is the best.
Hardly seems a overreaction or "unnecessary drama" nor was anyone "NERVOUS" that you have to ask them to calm down.
#81  October 04, 2016, 11:08:05 pm
Are you sure about this? I don't think so, lol. Its quite the opposite...Some people who posted here have clear grudges against me (without a reason, may I say) and loved to poke at me, but, again, I will skip this subject.
so why'd you bring it up at all? your persecution complex is showing
#82  October 10, 2016, 11:42:13 am
I gotta say, while I had great experience with Mediafire, they seemed to have changed the way the site works with adds.
Whenever you click on the download button, the site now generates a pop-under page, which is could be anything.
Not sure if it's all that safe nowadays.
#83  October 10, 2016, 03:17:57 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Though you can just right-click the download button and open in a new tab.

I can confirm it's not just a weird anti-adblock thing because it happens even when it's disabled.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#84  October 10, 2016, 03:48:24 pm
Thanks for the tip!