YesNoOk

a chat with vets, live interviews with MUGEN peoples (Interviews always on pg1) (Read 113828 times)

Started by Kamekaze, July 23, 2015, 05:59:01 am
Share this topic:
Re: a chat with vets, live interviews with MUGEN peoples
#41  July 23, 2015, 09:41:13 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I just wanted to get straight to coding without having to rip sprites. But NOOOoooo that was cause for pitch forks. This was before artmoney and it could take months to badly rip all the sprites needed for a character.

So me, Joram, and JJWE worked together to figure out artmoney. JJWE already had started using it for perfect axis. Once we got it I spent all my time trying to share sprites. And was still told I shouldn't do that because the threat of bad characters was too great.

If it wasn't for the Dark Ages of MUGEN I honestly think I would have finished a few characters. I got burned out ripping sprites and dealing with the verbal assaults of the elitists at the time and left for several years to make my comic. It wasn't as easy when you were a target of site hacks and had to watch so many people run away due to racist attacks "Brazil sucks!" and the most ridiculous power trips you'd ever see. Getting gangs of users attacking you wasn't fun.

Wow, that sure must have been hard. Well, I guess you need a form of Dark Ages before prosperity, eh?

I don't think I'd have survived that. I commend you guys for actually putting up with that crap in your time here. You've earned my respect MUGEN elders. :P
This is a generic forum signature.

Bea

#42  July 23, 2015, 09:48:17 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org

So me, Joram, and JJWE worked together to figure out artmoney. JJWE already had started using it for perfect axis. Once we got it I spent all my time trying to share sprites. And was still told I shouldn't do that because the threat of bad characters was too great.

Artmoney brings me memories.
This one, specifically.
Shortly after that I've found artmoney and my life became far easier. Then I showed it to Sepp and things went downhill from there on. :P
Good times, good times. :D
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:00:31 pm by Bea
#43  July 23, 2015, 09:58:51 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It's bad when it's been so long I forgot you was SMI. I need to look at those archived Dev pages again to see all those old nostalgic names. I still see Orochi Herman posting on my Facebook feed :P

Showing Sepp anything lead to downhill momentum! =D
#44  July 23, 2015, 09:59:57 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
dont spoil everything! save it for the interviews lol
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#45  July 23, 2015, 10:03:35 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
If you want to witness some Mugen history, here's a screenshot of NeoGouki teaching me how to find axis position and velocities in Mame's debug, years before ArtMoney was available:

Yeah, 3 AM discussions on IRC, gosh, I miss these times :)

XGargoyle up here is pretty much the only lad who has seniority over me around here. I started with 9x.10.19 version, and 1000 points was already the standard.
You started what... 2, 3 months before me?
Probably around September 99, but memory fades as I didn't really put a lot of attentionon it. I just basically downloaded it, played a bit and put it away for maybe a couple of months, because during that time I was more involved with the ROM translation scene

So me, Joram, and JJWE worked together to figure out artmoney.
The league of the J men!!!

It's bad when it's been so long I forgot you was SMI.
I think to recall she was even using, in the beginning, her real name on her Bravenet's account or ezboard's one, am I right?
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!

Bea

#46  July 23, 2015, 10:05:16 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
It's bad when it's been so long I forgot you was SMI.
I think to recall she was even using, in the beginning, her real name on her Bravenet's account or ezboard's one, am I right?

Ezboard, and that is right. But that person is now long dead, replaced by another one. :D

dont spoil everything! save it for the interviews lol

I have almost 16 years of material to talk about. There is plenty left. :P
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#47  July 23, 2015, 10:07:35 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Well what I'd prefer is just subtitles as otherwise the video may exceed 30 minutes which is what I'd prefer to stay under. If you want to translate for me we can work something out and I'll send you the rough cut or something of that nature. However for best results I'd like to stay in english.
No problem then. If you want, add me to the list, I would like to be interviewed about MUGEN ;D

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#48  July 23, 2015, 10:36:34 pm
    • Peru
To continue spoiling Kamekaze, I remember the days when the hot topics were stuff like "DUDE DID YOU KNOW? THIS GUY RAZOOLA FINALLY GOT CPS2 EMULATION WORKING", When the MVS Debug Dip Switches were discovered and that kind of stuff.

A lot people was devoted to R&D technology to make creators' lifes easier. Some of the stuff you had to do in order to rip from Chankast was ridiculous...
#49  July 23, 2015, 10:51:22 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
To continue spoiling Kamekaze, I remember the days when the hot topics were stuff like "DUDE DID YOU KNOW? THIS GUY RAZOOLA FINALLY GOT CPS2 EMULATION WORKING", When the MVS Debug Dip Switches were discovered and that kind of stuff.

A lot people was devoted to R&D technology to make creators' lifes easier. Some of the stuff you had to do in order to rip from Chankast was ridiculous...

Let's not forget that the creator of Kawaks, Mhz, is a former Mugen creator
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#50  July 23, 2015, 10:52:35 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
I want you too JNP!

Let's not forget that the creator of Kawaks, Mhz, is a former Mugen creator

If you can track him down I'd love to talk to him as well
#51  July 23, 2015, 11:12:56 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I assumed you wanted people that actually finished coding something within their 10+ years!
I started at MFG in 2001 when I was collecting DarkStalkers art and ran into a MUGEN site. I've seen things. Terrible things lol

My 1st post was about making a DS game "like a noob" and everyone raining down on me "Don't use ANYTHING anyone else made buddy!"

I think that set my tone with the community right then and there :P

Just let me know when. I typically work Sat, Sun, and Mondays. I'm off 4 days a week but let me know in advanced because I may have plans with the family.

Everyone can make fun of my southern hick voice!
#52  July 23, 2015, 11:28:01 pm
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
#53  July 23, 2015, 11:48:05 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#54  July 23, 2015, 11:49:19 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This is a generic forum signature.
#55  July 23, 2015, 11:59:46 pm
    • Peru
That explains why the emulator has really decent tools for ripping sprites, right? :)
#56  July 24, 2015, 12:20:41 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Well what I'd prefer is just subtitles as otherwise the video may exceed 30 minutes which is what I'd prefer to stay under. If you want to translate for me we can work something out and I'll send you the rough cut or something of that nature. However for best results I'd like to stay in english.

That's fine with me. I didn't know you spoke Spanish, so I thought I'd have to interpret so you'd know what the other person was saying.
#57  July 24, 2015, 12:38:34 am
  • Sr. Black Person
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
well I mean yes I can speak spanish but the interview would be in english lol. I'm really good at understanding accents but as I said I'd put subtitles down if it was too thick for the average listener
#58  July 24, 2015, 01:04:53 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
well I mean yes I can speak spanish but the interview would be in english lol. I'm really good at understanding accents but as I said I'd put subtitles down if it was too thick for the average listener

Yeah, that's fine. I'd be happy to help you with subtitles if you want.
#59  July 24, 2015, 05:52:04 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
This whole thing is super fresh. I'd be down to do something like this if you'd have me.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#60  July 24, 2015, 07:19:10 am
If you want to witness some Mugen history, here's a screenshot of NeoGouki teaching me how to find axis position and velocities in Mame's debug, years before ArtMoney was available:

Yeah, 3 AM discussions on IRC, gosh, I miss these times :)
oh mame's debugger, i've been messing around with it lately. did he teach you how extract assets from the hex code?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞