YesNoOk

Game of Thrones (Read 49665 times)

Started by Mog, June 12, 2011, 12:39:19 am
Share this topic:
Re: Game of Thrones
#101  April 25, 2013, 01:24:50 am
  • Unique, just like everyone else
It's entirely possible I'm missing something about her.  I've never touched the books, just the show.  I disliked her in the first season.  I found her to be an easily manipulated weakling with misplaced affection and loyalties - she just got lucky that Drogo was benevolent and legitimately cared for her.

She didn't get tolerable until after Drogo died.  She'd fooled herself so much into loving Drogo that his death hardened her up (she was young, impressionable, and pregnant - there's no way she was really in love with Drogo, it was all puppy love and hormones).  At that point all that mattered was the fact she had power (if only a little), and independence, and damnit, she was going to use that power to protect people and, most importantly of all, to go back to a home she barely remembers for no real reason beyond it's what her brother had driven into her head.

Now she thinks she's freed a bunch of brainwashed slaves who don't know the meaning of freedom.  I don't think she understands what they went through at all if she really thinks they'd up and join her at the words "You're free now, now will you follow me?"  Of course they'll follow you, they're loyal to you, you bought them you idiot.  They're doing exactly what you were told they'd do - follow your every order to the letter.

I mean, what she did was great and all, and I'm interested in seeing where she goes from here, but I'm not a big fan of her specifically.  Rather, I want to know what role she plays in the overall story.

Again, I'm probably missing a lot from not reading the books.  This is the impression given to me, my interpretation, from the show.
#102  April 25, 2013, 02:59:24 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Well, the series of books is not called "Game of Thrones", but "A Song of Fire and Ice". It hasn't come to this point yet in the books, but it's kinda obvious/logical that the story in the end will be about
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Also, yeah :

#103  April 25, 2013, 02:41:23 pm
    • Poland
Well, the series of books is not called "Game of Thrones", but "A Song of Fire and Ice". It hasn't come to this point yet in the books, but it's kinda obvious/logical that the story in the end will be about

Now when you put it that way it's logical indeed.

Anyway one of the things important in books is past. Martin show many past stuff in characters memories, but in the show it's not possible, because there is no flashbacks at all. I recall that he even mentioned that key to future events in the books lay in the past of Westeros. It's shame that show incorporated on fracture of past stuff. I understand why they had to do it this way but I'm curious how they handle it later when there will be more fantast stuff involed... Maybe in distant future they will make some prequel about Robert's rebelion ? That would be awesome.... Or prequel about Dunk & Egg.

I'm curious about Rhlor. His worshippers seems to have real powers, opposite to other religions where there is none. He is lord of light & fire so maybe he may have some connection to the dragons ?
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#104  June 03, 2013, 10:48:22 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
OMG. Episode 9 was great, but wow I didn't expect that to happen. The starks can never catch a break :/ finale next sunday, which to me feels earlier than I thought it would be, but shit, what a way to end this season. O_O
#105  June 04, 2013, 01:47:58 am
    • Poland
Yeah bomb went down finally :D. But it's not over yet

Anyway whole episode was decent. Of course books showed it way better. But still props to filmakers for pregnancy & name thing. It make whole thing way more dramatic even for book reader like me.

It's sad they failed to make robb more sympathethic. They changed Theon story and it made it better, made sense even, but in Robb case it's not. They never showed any of his battles, or leadership skills like it was in the books, they expanded romance thing instead. I guess it was because of the money.

Some fun facts for non-readers:
In the show Robb married his wife because he fall in love with her right ? In the book it was quite different. Her character was very different too. She was called Jeyne Westerling & her family was Lannisters ally. When Robb found out about Rickon & Bran's deaths he kinda broke down and Jeyne was the one who comfort him & accompanied him in that night. He took her virginity and because he thought it was not honorable, he decided to marry her to fix that. She wasn't pregnant too. She drank some tea that was used to prevent pregnancy. I think lack of pregnancy was the reason that she was left alive. I don't think she go to the wedding. IIRC Robb left her because he didn't want offend Lord Frey more. Because of her family allies (Lannisters) & other things there are theories that she was part of conspiracy. Heck some people even say that SHE seduced Robb  and she gave him love potion LOL.

It sounds bit crazy but it explains why she didn't get pregant with him. If she was indded part of conspiracy, then it' no wonder why she use some [rotection against pregnancy.

All of that was left out/cut out from the show, which was shame. Rob decision of marrying her in the books made him looks way bettter than it did in TV show. In the show it was all look like he choose love over winning the war, which wasn't exactly the case. 

"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#106  June 04, 2013, 08:52:33 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I think you need to start putting spoilers even for the books. some people might want to read them later and you give away A LOT.
#107  July 17, 2017, 06:47:08 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
Season 7 bitches first Episode titled "Dragonstone"
mod edit: added spoiler tags
Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:51:16 am by Jmorphman
#108  July 17, 2017, 06:51:42 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
HoHo, you need to start using spoiler tags.
#109  July 17, 2017, 07:47:20 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
I shouldn't need to use spoiler tags though hours after the show or days after as well.   Put spoilers inside within the title and you can fix that honestly.
#110  July 17, 2017, 08:01:40 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Some of us like to browse recent posts and don't appreciate being spoiled on something because someone feels they shouldn't take a little bit of extra effort.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#111  July 18, 2017, 01:58:17 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
No I don't mind it at all, but I don't go into threads like that knowing their could be spoilers inside. I would say TV talk is fair game and I'll keep doing it or just not really post in here[thinks for a moment how this section was dead till he arrived and now the section is buzzing lol]but things not shown on the show like Book talk should be tagged up. What if people wanted to live discuss it weekly, which could be fun that would scrap all of that.
#112  July 18, 2017, 02:31:57 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Oh, perhaps I was too vague.

I like to browse Recent Posts to get a general idea of what's going on, and I don't appreciate being spoiled on something just because I am. Not everybody is able to watch a show on the same day, so if you don't want to punch that nuke symbol to cover up your episode recaps then don't post them. I haven't really made a fuss on your anime recaps because I don't think anyone of us regulars in the topic care all that much, but now I must insist.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#113  July 18, 2017, 03:27:26 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Putting stuff in spoiler tags really isn't some huge burden, nor does it disrupt the flow of conversations/threads at all. Just look at the MCU thread, or countless other ones in this section!
#114  July 25, 2017, 09:38:32 pm
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA