YesNoOk

Game of Thrones (Read 50953 times)

Started by Mog, June 12, 2011, 12:39:19 am
Share this topic:

Mog

Re: Game of Thrones
#61  April 05, 2012, 11:32:03 am
I was just looking for this thread!  I'm just now starting the 5th novel in the series A Dance With Dragons ( are there really going to be 2 more?) and I'm going to have to re-watch last season before I start this season.  I'm glad I saved popcorn.

:bow:
#62  April 05, 2012, 09:03:45 pm
    • Poland
I watched first episode and I like Mellisandre actress and Stannis. I disliked the part about poisoning thing, In books it was heavly implied that Mali survived thanks to Magic. In the show nothiing was suggested, we just have to guess what happened. Tyrion was badass as always. They also finally started showing "The Volvie Dreams" which is cool. BTW Robb's Wolf was pretty cool tho. Exactly how I pictured him in my mind.

Sadly now when I know the books (I still have to read A Dance with the Dragons, I just don't have time :-/) show seems to be shallow a bit. I only watch it for acting and exclusive scenes. Don't get me wrong it's great series on its own but books are so much better that you can easly notice how they shortened and shallowed the story for TV purposes... Martin have so amazing writing skills that it can't be 100% copied although I know they writers did their best. It's very good adaptation.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#63  April 06, 2012, 01:02:28 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
I don't find the novels here, and even if they're available, probably going to be in limited quantity of expensive imports.

I love the setting of the movie, can't believe such level of details can be done for TV series. and also for the steadiness of its quality, unlike other serials with awesome pilot to be followed by boring episodes of mundane materials
#64  April 07, 2012, 06:26:35 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
I was just looking for this thread!  I'm just now starting the 5th novel in the series A Dance With Dragons ( are there really going to be 2 more?) and I'm going to have to re-watch last season before I start this season.  I'm glad I saved popcorn.

apparently the author's already got 300 pgs of manuscript for the sixth!

So excited for the next one!

#65  April 07, 2012, 10:17:39 am
reading a novel before the movie adaptation only leads to spoiler and disappointment, then why?
#66  April 07, 2012, 11:39:53 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
So you're saying that all those who read the Lord of the Rings shouldn't have watched the movies ? That doesn't make much sense.

It's a given the books are almost always better than any movie/series adaptation, but you watched the series to see how well realisators have adapted the script, the little changes they've made, what they've removed, to put a face on the protagonists (the actor playing Stannis was a good choice for example, as he's exactly how I imagined him, but I was waiting for a more beautiful actress for Melisandre).

I disliked the part about poisoning thing, In books it was heavly implied that Mali survived thanks to Magic.
Yeah, from what I remember of the books, she even drinks first, and the other one dies after drinking in the cup. This was poorly done here, and we have basically no insight that there's magic behind and who is this God they're talking about.

Also, for those who didn't know : the 2nd episode was leaked a few days ago on the internet because HBO made a mistake with their website, so you can DL it before the official day. :)

Mog

#67  April 07, 2012, 02:36:02 pm
I have a very poor memory when it comes to entertainment, so by the time I've finished one of these novels, I cant remember what the first half was about.  I don't mind spoilers of any kind.

#68  April 08, 2012, 02:19:34 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
reading a novel before the movie adaptation only leads to spoiler and disappointment, then why?

I read books 1-4 about 6 years ago before the series was announced :(

after that I couldn't possibly wait until season 5 came out to read the 5th book!

I disagree with you Cybaster on Stannis, maybe it's because I focused on Stannis more but I find the actor they picked, while accurate in terms of being super retentive(i.e the letter writing scene) he didn't have the same presence of Stannis.

Stannis is very strict and commanding, but is also somewhat obsessed with duty and honor and all that. He doesn't want to be king because he has ambition, but because he wants to fulfill his duty to his family and to the kingdom.

Completely agree on Melisandre though. They should've gotten someone way hotter.

Mog

#69  April 08, 2012, 01:33:16 pm
^  I dont remember any of those people.  I can see I'll need a cheat sheet of who's who for this series.  It's as bad as War and Peace.  I told you I have a terrible memory for this stuff.

#70  April 09, 2012, 12:27:08 pm
    • France
THat's why the books have 10 pages at the very beginning explaining who are the 50 main protagonists, divided in families. :P

@Lansman : well, we'll have to see when Stannis appears more, as he appeared merely a few seconds in this episode. Hoping for the best. :)
#71  April 09, 2012, 02:36:20 pm
what do you mean by appearing only for few second, he has
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
. He was quite the spotlight of the latest episode I watched 3 days ago
#72  April 09, 2012, 03:46:58 pm
    • France
Didn't watch the 2nd episode yet. :ninja:

Mog

#73  April 10, 2012, 08:53:11 pm
It's been renewed for a 3rd season!    yes!   

#74  April 11, 2012, 03:00:22 am
    • Poland
It was just formality :D

About second episode.
It's bit faster than first one. And while many of scenes are better presented in the books (obviously) it is still good entertaiment. I was bit suprised with Mel & Stannis scene. In the books theie affair was merely suggested. I guess writers wanted to be more straightforward about that than Martin  :ninja:
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#75  April 11, 2012, 08:02:23 am
    • France
HBO, sex, naked women, yadda yadda.
#76  April 20, 2012, 11:44:44 pm
    • France
Revival. Let's all drink together during the next episode ! :D

#77  April 21, 2012, 05:01:06 am
I watched the 3rd episode 2 days ago, it didn't reveal anything important,  just a continuation of the previous episode
#78  April 21, 2012, 11:17:54 am
    • France
On a side note, I have the feeling this season is much harder to understand than the previous one.
Many new characters are introduced without any background, and you can't always see who is who with respect to others, what their motivations are, etc.
Kinda have the feeling the script isn't very clear for those who haven't read the books.
#79  April 21, 2012, 04:50:00 pm
I think for this kind of genre, a narrator with a godlike voice over a softly played epic theme song  is needed.

Mog

#80  April 22, 2012, 01:03:38 am
Revival. Let's all drink together during the next episode ! :D

I'm be so drunk by the end of 3 minutes I wouldnt be able to see!

I saw a G.O.T. cookbook somewhere thinking it might be interesting because of the really strange food in the books, but it was a rip-off.  It was just ordinary food.

>:(