YesNoOk

Helpers/Explods going behind stage sprites? Possible? (Read 908 times)

Started by ESFAndy011, October 22, 2018, 11:00:58 pm
Share this topic:
Helpers/Explods going behind stage sprites? Possible?
#1  October 22, 2018, 11:00:58 pm
    • Peru
Before reading further, I realize this is somewhat of an IKEMEN problem, but I still wanted to know if there is a way to do this using MUGEN features.

So yeah, I know it's a weird thing to even suggest (refering to the title), but we're seriously tempted to switch over to IKEMEN plus 0.3... however, there is a problem: certain delta values make stage sprites stretch horizontally or vertically as the screen zooms out. Yes, we could disable zoom, but we feel that would affect our game negatively.

Fortunately, I was able to concoct a way to emulate delta for stage elements by having them as helpers. One invisible helper (parent helper) would be placed at the position of the desired stage sprite and left alone there, while the other (child helper) would "posset" at the first helper's position, multiplied by the desired delta value. I was very happy with the results (I did this with some floating lamps in the dark temple stage) until I realized that I wouldn't be able to apply this with background elements that would inevitably "bump into" the ground, edges, etc. without overlapping them.

Unless, of course, as the title suggests, there is a way to have them go behind stage sprites.. somehow. I tried giving the helpers sprpriority -5, along with layerno set to 0 and 1 for the stage sprites. 0 is the default so it does nothing, while 1 overlaps all character sprites, so no luck. I would seriously rather avoid having to turn "everything" into explods/helpers, primarily because of the floor.

Any ideas?
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."