YesNoOk

MVC3 Styled Undertale Characters (Read 35362 times)

Started by Taffy, August 16, 2017, 05:02:47 pm
Share this topic:
Re: MVC3 Styled Undertale Characters
#21  January 09, 2018, 03:54:22 am
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Hey Guys!! New update here:

That's right! I'm working on Undyne now too! Expect a hardhitting pressure heavy gameplan from her!!
#22  January 09, 2018, 04:35:41 am
  • Doesn't know how to do things but does them anyway
    • USA
Already calling it; her level 3 Super is gonna be Undyne the Undying.
I dunno what to put here for a signature.
#23  January 15, 2018, 04:07:13 am
    • USA
wow, she looks pretty cool! i'm curious, though; do you plan on having the protagonist be playable?
#24  January 15, 2018, 09:00:23 am
  • I like Ai's
Awesome stuff, it's good to see Undertale getting some love. I mean I know people have tried to replicate the static sprites but it just doesn't work in a 2D fighter...goodluck and good job so far.
#25  January 16, 2018, 05:15:10 pm
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Hey Guys!! Another update on Undyne for you!

I like giving people choices. There's always room for customization in my book, so one of the most important things for me was to give Undyne quite a few options. These include:

An entirely color separated pallete. Every shade and highlight is a different color. The pallet box is almost full. Please help me.

However, in something like Undertale, there's always gonna be people who won't be just satisfied with color changes. So, in the file for Undyne (and for Sans too xux) there's gonna be a .fla file. I'll release a tutorial for how to edit these later on, whichever one of the characters is out first will have the tutorial with them. This'll allow you to make all the Fell!Space!Hope!Determined!Z2!Swap! Edits you want. As proof of concept, here's a screenshot and a few animations.

As you can see, Undyne has a variant with her Helmet on. To access it,  you need to hold start when selecting her. This won't change anything about gameplay besides how things look.

This, by the way, is her Standing Heavy punch.

oops, gotta fix that eyepatch crossup there

Standing Medium Punch...

and her Jab.

Not too shabby, huh?

Anyways:

Awesome stuff, it's good to see Undertale getting some love. I mean I know people have tried to replicate the static sprites but it just doesn't work in a 2D fighter...goodluck and good job so far.

Thanks, man!! That's basically the exact reason I wanted to Start these in the first place. Kinda sucked seeing Undertale characters that just used the battle sprites. These are actually super easy to edit (as you'll see in this update) so people can make things into their desired AU's however they want to.

wow, she looks pretty cool! i'm curious, though; do you plan on having the protagonist be playable?

I don't want to spoil all the fun, would I? xux

Already calling it; her level 3 Super is gonna be Undyne the Undying.

I have different plans for that form.

#26  January 16, 2018, 06:25:15 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Looks great!  That first floor jab thing looks perfect, but I think the other 2 moves fall short a bit with her movement.

Here's an edit for example.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I adjusted the timing, increasing the speed of most frames, but added a pause to the start/end swing frames.
I also added a frame to the end of the swing to make the spear stop smearing before she recovers.

The jabs would pack more punch if you follow this principle.

Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:47:37 pm by altoiddealer
#27  January 16, 2018, 07:40:09 pm
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Looks great!  That first floor jab thing looks perfect, but I think the other 2 moves fall short a bit with her movement.

I adjusted the timing, increasing the speed of most frames, but added a pause to the start/end swing frames.
I also added a frame to the end of the swing to make the spear stop smearing before she recovers.

The jabs would pack more punch if you follow this principle.

Thank you! i have changed those moves timing and added an extra frame to help the timing now. I'll keep that all in mind.
#28  January 17, 2018, 12:04:50 am
  • I like Ai's
ALRIGHT! Showing some real determination here Taffy, I'd love to help but I can't access Photoshop...yet. I think the customizations are a really cool Idea and the sprites are still looking great as ever. Also this is a bit bias but if it were me spriting I would make Undyne look more angry when she strikes 'cause it adds to her character; Y'know, she's kind of the fierce warrior type, but that's only a suggestion. This is YOUR character.
Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:09:11 am by Killerking75
#29  January 17, 2018, 02:46:24 am
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
ALRIGHT! Showing some real determination here Taffy, I'd love to help but I can't access Photoshop...yet. I think the customizations are a really cool Idea and the sprites are still looking great as ever. Also this is a bit bias but if it were me spriting I would make Undyne look more angry when she strikes 'cause it adds to her character; Y'know, she's kind of the fierce warrior type, but that's only a suggestion. This is YOUR character.

I make her smirk because she does enjoy fighting. She smirks through the first parts of her battle with Frisk too. I've had ideas to make it so when the battle goes on longer, she'll start to get angry (like in game) though.
#30  January 17, 2018, 04:05:33 am
  • I like Ai's

I make her smirk because she does enjoy fighting. She smirks through the first parts of her battle with Frisk too. I've had ideas to make it so when the battle goes on longer, she'll start to get angry (like in game) though.

Taking the game itself as a reference is even better please disregard my comment and of course an angry mechanic could work, just do what you feel
#31  January 18, 2018, 03:32:51 pm
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Taking the game itself as a reference is even better please disregard my comment and of course an angry mechanic could work, just do what you feel

It's all good! I appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions you guys have anyways xux
#32  January 19, 2018, 12:05:00 am
    • Italy
very nice animation. The jab looks kinda heavy. It is an excellent animation, but it looks odd that she can return to previous position so quickly after putting so much weight on the front leg.
#33  January 26, 2018, 03:53:01 am
    • USA
something just occured to me: will these characters have voice acting? or will the sounds used for when they are speaking in game be used in place of voice work?
#34  January 26, 2018, 03:59:45 am
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
very nice animation. The jab looks kinda heavy. It is an excellent animation, but it looks odd that she can return to previous position so quickly after putting so much weight on the front leg.

Timing's different in game. The startup is faster and the end lag is slower than that. She also takes the step forward instead of going back.

something just occured to me: will these characters have voice acting? or will the sounds used for when they are speaking in game be used in place of voice work?

there will be options for both. when have the money to, i'm gonna try to hire some voice actors for them. PM me if you have suggestions for who to ask! X u X
Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:10:14 am by Taffy
#35  January 26, 2018, 07:44:15 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Off topic but when my hard drive crashed I was able to
aaccess my hard drive, I was fiddling with reinstalling
windows of a thumb drive and it gave me access to the
documents and I transferred my stuff over, might work
for you I don't remember 100% the steps I took tho.
#36  January 28, 2018, 02:31:05 pm
    • USA
do you think you would ever release a full game like shades of manhattan or hyper dbz with the undertale characters you make, or do you just plan on keeping them all separate?
#37  January 31, 2018, 07:11:51 am
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Off topic but when my hard drive crashed I was able to
aaccess my hard drive, I was fiddling with reinstalling
windows of a thumb drive and it gave me access to the
documents and I transferred my stuff over, might work
for you I don't remember 100% the steps I took tho.

I'll try to do that when i can. hope it'll work but as for what i've tried, they're gone

do you think you would ever release a full game like shades of manhattan or hyper dbz with the undertale characters you make, or do you just plan on keeping them all separate?

most likely they'll be in separate characters but that might change
#38  March 08, 2018, 02:38:16 pm
  • X u X
  • A virus?
    • Kenya
Hey guys, sorry for being absent for so long! This is a backburner project and I only really touch it when I need to take a break from more involved projects of mine. You'll see something about that project in the future.

Here's a WIP Undyne dropkick.