Stage Discussion (Read 275685 times)

Started by Neocide, October 24, 2012, 11:06:52 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Stage Discussion
#241  February 21, 2017, 08:55:24 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yeah, we can definitely discuss that in PMs, if you wish to.

And HD scenery shots would be more than helpful, honestly.
This is a generic forum signature.

GLB

#242  February 21, 2017, 11:31:07 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Slow and steady wins the race! :D

I'm still around on and off (I check back enough for the project and to post once in a while) so if that's something you guys plan on going for it's perfect for me, It gives me time between each to make them perfectly and continue to be a lazy procrastinator lol. Plus coding original stuff like this is super fun.

Also want to take a moment to recognize how much Hatter has improved since pitching the idea to draw the stage out, really great job man. 
#243  March 13, 2017, 05:53:03 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Yeh, it makes the floor less flatter.

Alright, so here's a final look at the stage, with and without the purple tint (which was suggested by Neocide and chrono st.):

I'm going to separate and index everything tomorrow morning. Feel free to share any thoughts/criticism about the stage, or point out something I might have missed.

How did I manage to miss that? man thats fantastic!

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#244  March 17, 2017, 08:30:20 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Yeah man, that forest is looking great indeed! Good job!
#245  April 01, 2017, 08:30:42 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Super late, but I'm really glad you all like it. :' ]

I've started some tentative work on props, and a night variant for this:

<-- Just showing off work on the palette, so far only the sky palette is whats completed. As you can also see, I have to rework the palette of other elements to make sure all vibes well with the sky.

And speaking of props:

<-- The bird is supposed to be gliding for the first part, I'm not sure if I captured that right. It's either that, or I suck at pacing :/

<-- not too sure about how this one animates, I was drawing along to a 6-frame flame GIF I found on deviantART. I'll also have to rework the campfire wood palette too.

Will try to finish up the props soon.
Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:41:10 pm by Jokerrific
#246  April 02, 2017, 12:23:00 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Holy crap! Good job, As for the bird, the gliding part is angled wrong.
The way you have him angled is when a bird is being pushed by hard winds.

You need to have the body angled like when the wings are flapping,just keep it idle with the wings out.

I'm loving all this though.

You might wanna maybe make a small "glow" layer for the fire so when in the stage it actually looks like it's lighting up the forest.
#247  April 02, 2017, 02:04:52 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I see. The bird's angle can be handled with copy pasta, so I'll get on that.

And yeah, the glow part for the campfire is a definite must. I just need to rework the palette of the wood to match the intended palette, and then it's good to go.

GLB

#248  April 08, 2017, 01:05:31 am
Sorry I'm so late here.

Loving how you split the layers, there's going to be a lot of beautiful delta movement in this stage, and the night versions coming along nicely.

The only two things I've noticed for the pack sent are the floor sprite and the tree 1 sprites should get some adjustments. IMO the floor should be a tad bit wider if possible, just to give the characters more running/movement room in game. Same for tree 1, it only goes up 400px, i'll have to place it in the bottom right corner to make it look right aesthetically obviously, but there won't be much boundhigh because of that because I'd have to make it cut off at the end (top) of that sprite, so maybe extend the length of it a bit to give more jumping/character camera movement.

I've been really swamped at work, I got some days off coming here soon though so i'll finally have some time to code this bad boy.
#249  April 08, 2017, 01:10:00 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I can definitely do that, thanks for telling me. : ]

GLB

#250  April 11, 2017, 09:21:53 pm
Started converting to MUGEN today, false alarm on the floor, my bad. It's got a decent amount of in-game width, the tree issue is still there though. Should have shots to show soon! I've started work on Cell Games as well.
#251  June 20, 2017, 08:58:28 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

So yeah, I'm done being a lazy asshole now. Back to work.

(Bear was taken from some Metal Slug game. Colors aren't final.)
Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:13:52 am by Hatter
#252  June 21, 2017, 03:40:37 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Oh those look lovely! I've been busy myself, almost done with another Sheet(which I'll show off when done)

The props will really give this stage life! Just need GLB to show up! Lol
#253  June 21, 2017, 06:40:14 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Yeah, those props are gonna be something.

I should've asked this earlier, but after I handle the day/night/rainy versions of this stage, do you want me to rework Dying Namek to match up with this stage, or would you rather I move onto a new stage?

I don't have a problem with either, I just want to see your opinion on which one is the better move.
#254  June 21, 2017, 08:09:16 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
I'd prefer namek first, it's more priority over the tournament.
#255  September 10, 2017, 01:25:11 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Oh hey look, I resuscitated the thread.

Alright, so aside from me going ghost for this project for a while, I'm happy to announce that I'm back to it! Semi full-time because full-time for marvelous projects such as this is never really feasible (;_;)

So a small-to do list for this before I hand the elements off to GLB the stage magician:

-Finish this bear animation. This includes completing the frames, fixing anything that needs it proper coloring for whatever variants he'll appear in (I'm thinking just day and night, but who knows)
-Create a rain animation (for which I'll reference a favorite GBA game of mine. Because Wynaut)
-Create a glowing/shadow animation for the campfire, and make sure it works well with the night themed variant I have going on.
-Finish indexing the night-time variant elements, and create the rainy day variants.

And you ask when I'll finish these? I can't say because even if I give an approximation, I'm terrible at sticking to to dates and promises! So I'll just chip away at this list and just make sure everything is prim and proper as I go along. Then its off to everyone's favorite Dying Planet, on the double.

Other than that.... well, there's nothing else to be said, I suppose. I've risen from thine grave again! (that's something a normal hooman says, no?)

#256  September 11, 2017, 03:19:54 am
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
Nice job on this bear, and good luck for whats left to do ;)

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#257  September 11, 2017, 04:01:07 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Thanks. I'm hoping it won't be long, because Dying Namek really needs to be redone.

I bumped the animation up to 8 frames this time around. The movement should work fine now.
#258  September 11, 2017, 04:46:43 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
That looks great! Take your time, I'm still plowing through nappa (with piccolo afterward) so you got all the time in the world. Does he have an idle anim? So he can stop every now and then. Otherwise he'd just walk across the screen once then have to turn around off screen, which might look weird.

I can't remember if I ever brought it up, but an owl for the night version would be cool.On the branch closest to the screen. (Moving it's head around)

(Also later a snow version could work too,forest has a lot of variables)
#259  September 11, 2017, 05:05:30 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
There is a sort of idle animation for the bear in Metal Slug, but its more like a transition to standing on its hind legs. I could make one where he remains on all fours instead, so it can transition to walking a lot easier (plus it'd be easier to make one from scratch rather than upscaling Metal Slug 3 frames and trace over them).

An owl is definitely possible. I think it would make a great contrast to the woodpecker for the day version.  A snow version can be made, I think there are some stages that have snow (one from Last Blade and another from Street Fighter Alpha 2 come to mind) and can make for great reference.
#260  October 01, 2017, 04:58:54 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Bumping this thread to keep it breathing and to mention that all the night time stage elements, minus the camp fire have been indexed and sent. The only things left for the night variant other than that are the bear animations, and the owl.

So for now:

(ignore the fact that I mentioned I was going to make something custom. With the fur details in the last one (which, again, all from Metal Slug 4), I may as well just power through 4 frames rather than the pain of making a custom animation x_x.

I'll be starting with the rain variant of the stage, and the owl animation for the night variant. So, umm, stay tuned for that folks!