YesNoOk

New MUGEN content auditing/organizing tools (Read 5100 times)

Started by bitcraft, May 06, 2015, 06:05:58 pm
Share this topic:
New MUGEN content auditing/organizing tools
#1  May 06, 2015, 06:05:58 pm
    • USA
    • leif.theden@gmail.com
Hey guys!  I released some tools for organizing characters and stages a few years ago, and I'm just dropping by to let everyone know that I've updated them.  The tools are still command line only, but have been updated with more features.  The goal of the tools are to make the tons of content I have work with winmugen.

Here's what they do so far:
  • Check for working char by running MUGEN, then recording if MUGEN crashed or not
  • Check character and stage DEF for missing files
  • Read and verify SFF files
  • Update older DEF to mugen 1.0 (doesn't fix some AI issues)
  • Create new select.def with stages and characters automatically, preserving layout

All of these features will work over a folder, so if you've got a ton of chars, it will check each one by auto-playing a round against kfm, checking for missing files, ect.  When working files are found they are moved to a new folder, leaving behind broken files.

I think that the auto-check functions would be useful for content creators.  Instead of manually running mugen or cumbersome tools, these tools could be run quickly and automatically to help point out problems with characters and stages.

For the future:
  • Read and verify other files, like CNS, AIR, etc
  • Read and reformat all files into a standard, easy-to-read format
  • Obfuscate character/stage files to protect from modification
  • gui?

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know here or on the github page.  Thanks!

https://github.com/bitcraft/mugen-tools
Re: New MUGEN content auditing/organizing tools
#2  May 06, 2015, 06:24:36 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
have you considered adding a visual gui to the tool?
#3  May 06, 2015, 06:31:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
something simple, like a window with a set of buttons that call the command line utils should be enough to make this more accesible to the people who might get more use of this program.
#4  May 06, 2015, 08:44:15 pm
    • USA
    • leif.theden@gmail.com
Yes i've considered adding a gui.  Right now, I'd rather concentrate on features instead of spending time on a gui.  Thanks for the suggestion.