SAMUS ARAN (Read 60087 times)

Started by Reu, July 20, 2007, 11:22:03 am
Share this topic:

Reu

SAMUS ARAN
#1  July 20, 2007, 11:22:03 am
  • Ssssslash!
    • www.reubenkee.com
One appeared from the darkness to challenge the savior sent from the heavens.

But the battle would be so immense, so destructive...

That another will appear to end it all.

Based on the model from SSBM. Samus will be making her way to MUGEN soon. I've been adding extra detail to her model.... which is quite complicated since almost every image of her on google has the suit drawn or rendered slightly differently. Wtf?!

There's one big problem -

I have never played a single metroid game.  Why the hell do Samus, then? Well... I've always like the idea of something shooting up stuff to kingdom come, in more ways than one. Especially after Monty showed her battle prowess in his movie. Yes, it is the same model, but textured differently and I added some more detail.

So I need some help.

Anyone knows what kind of attacks she can do? What she can shoot? How big? How much? What the heck is the green thing on her hand for?

And as usual, suggestions for moves are welcome.

Cheers.
Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:19:50 am by Lv3 P.o.t.S.
Re: EVIL DRAGON CLAW
#2  July 20, 2007, 11:25:50 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
#3  July 20, 2007, 11:44:24 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
Reu, are you planning on sticking strictly to the NES model?

Reu

#4  July 20, 2007, 11:49:40 am
  • Ssssslash!
    • www.reubenkee.com
Koopakoot: It helps, thanks. Oh crap there's more suits?

Bane84: Eh? The model is edited from SSBM.
#5  July 20, 2007, 11:50:39 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
To simplify things, you could model the moveset of your Samus after the NES version.  It's your call, though.
#6  July 20, 2007, 12:03:14 pm
    • Germany
o_O

...wow.

Uh, about that green thing on her arm, it can throw projectiles with pretty much any kind of properties you can imagine. From the SNES game alone, I can remember:
Simple Shot - does damage, straight line of fire
Charge Beam - charges, bigger projectile, more damage
Ice Beam - freezes enemies
Wave Beam - travels through walls, sinus-line
Spazer Beam - multiple projectiles
Plasma Beam - travels through enemies

all of the above beams could be combined arbitrarily (except spazer and plasma, for some reason)

Grappling Beam - used kind of like a whip, to swing on stuff and drag things near
Rocket - does damage, limited supply
Super Rocket - does MORE damage, very limited supply

There's also morph ball, small or super bombs as morph ball, screw attack (great for uppercuts), and TONS more.

...and there's more games with probably more equipment... which I have here but never got to playing them.

I think you should try to get a hold of Shin_Ryouga, he'd been working on a Samus for a long time but never quite got it finished. Maybe he has some ideas...
#7  July 20, 2007, 12:29:49 pm
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
This is a great news! Reu, your characters are always the most anticipated ones!
How's the progress on Dragon Claw's partner is going? And I wanted to ask why do you not texturize your 3D models?
#8  July 20, 2007, 12:30:27 pm
Wow, Reu, this looks like an amazing project.

Here are my move suggestions, if you even needed any since Valodim pretty much covered everything but anyway:

Screw Attack - Anti-Air/Dragon Punch attack
Suggested command: F,D,DF+P
The Up+B attack from SSBM that is pretty much Samus' 'uppercut' attack. She spins at an unimaginable RPM for about a second and enemies get trapped in this 'spin' if it connects and take the damage that it deals. A weak version could basically go for a shorter amount of time whilst the strong version can go for longer (and thus dealing more damage granted that it connects). After the strong version, instead of Samus just 'dropping' from her fall, she should instead somewhat float. (So it allows Samus to be punished harder if it whiffs)

Missile - Hadouken attack
Suggested command: D,DF,F+P
Samus' primary projectile in SSBM, where she shoots a slow-speed missile that speeds up as it gains distance, and explodes on contact. Weak version goes faster, stronger version starts slower but deals more damage, strongest version starts slowest but deals most damage. Samus suffers from major recovery time after this attack compared to her other attacks though, so I suggest making this attack deal considerable damage.

Charge Beam - Can hold for stronger/better results
Suggested command: F,DF,D,DB,B+P
Samus' other projectile of choice in SSBM, where she shoots a ball of electric-based energy at the opponent. This attack can be held longer for more damage/speed (the longer you hold, the stronger it is, and the faster it travels). I guess you could make it unblockable when fully charged (about 4-5 seconds). Somewhat like Denjin Hadouken but only unblockable when fully charged.

Machine Gun - Another 'projectile'-like attack
Suggested command: D,DF,F+K
Never had this (not that I know of), but just something I had in mind. Samus shoots about 6 bullets of rapid fire before stopping and entering some recovery time. Depending on the strength of the kick command used, Samus shoots bullets at a different angle. Weak version shoots at a 45 degree angle below Samus, and this version can hit lying-down opponents. Stronger version shoots forward. Strongest version shoots at an upward angle (hits jumping opponents). Should pretty much be one of the weakest attacks Samus has.

That's all I can handle for now. Good luck, Reu.
#9  July 20, 2007, 12:42:09 pm
    • Germany
with all those projectiles you have to be really careful to not make her a complete scrub char... but there's tons of other funny things you can do with projectiles apart from just shooting them at your enemy :beam:
#10  July 20, 2007, 01:23:30 pm
But when were Reu's characters not scrubby? Yeah, I understand your point though.

Maybe one solution is make Samus a delay character (see Guile, Ash Crimson, etc) where her movelist mainly consists of 'hold' attacks. This will definitely tone down the amount of scrubbiness she promotes.
#11  July 20, 2007, 01:49:44 pm
Reu... you haven't played any of her actual games and you want to make her for MUGEN? Have you seen Shin Ryoga's art for her? Or his movelist? With your history of obscenely overpowered characters and overly done AI you might be able to do her justice for how powerful she's supposed to be.

First, she can freeze the enemy. For up to 5 seconds. With a basic shot.

Second is her dash where she gets faster as she goes until she can run through enemies doing either massive damage or killing them outright.

Screw Attack is completely invincible. And later on in the games she can get the Space Jump which lets her do it as many times as she wants.

She has power bombs which cover the whole screen for MASSIVE unblockable damage. Think mininuke

She has two types of Missiles.

Plus her multiple kinds of armor which each cuts how much damage she takes by 50% EACH cumulative.

Oh and in the newer games she has the ability to lock onto the enemy and move around.

I know I missed a lot of her weapons including the Hyper Beam from Super Metroid which is the most powerful weapon in her arsenal... yes even over the power bombs. And there's just so much more. I feel if you do her justice as she deserves she'll fit in with how cheap your other projects have been in the past.

Plus there's the fact that in the actual games she has no non-projectile moves beyond the completely invincible Screw Attack. She's built for speed AND power. Plus the fact that in most of her games the planet she's on tends to not survive the game (she fixes that situation from Metroid when she goes back in Super Metroid.

Shin Ryoga knows all of this about her and has plans on how to tone her down and still keep her faithful to her original games. What's your plans?

And please never bring up that video that your friend made again, that was a travesty. Neither of them has that kind of strength to pick shit up.

Also what KFM said goes double for me.
What's a Rabite doing in a place like this?
#12  July 20, 2007, 02:22:58 pm
  • duwa duwa
i doubt nintendo will care about reu making samus into 3d plus the profit comes from the dragonclaw merchandise. the drawing looks okay but the waist looks a bit weird since the thighs are too big. other than that the drawing looks good.

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up

vyn

#13  July 20, 2007, 02:23:31 pm
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
Hey there reu, a samus char now THAT i didnt see coming, i a big fan of her classic games, i havent played the new ones (the first person shooters) but i think u should give her the moves from the classic games, so peeps posted most of her abilities but here is a ver educational video which explains where her super smash brothers melee moves came from i think it should help  alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noNXp44bmOs

and here is one of my favorite abilities from the super nes, the super jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVgsWKJCATk

as far as the desingn its damn good, just the shoulders are a bit too big

cant say im a big fan of hte name, evil dragon claw is like a temporary name?? like ur project 2 (hows that coming btw) samus aint evil or anything shes a bounty hunter who lost her parents when she was little, shes actually one of the good guys AND has an alter ego herself: Dark Samus

Not too similar to dragon claw either is she? she doesnt even have...well claws

and screw haters, (tough i think uve learned to ignore them alread, good for ya i do the same) make him damn flashy dragon claw is like a fighting movie with the cinematic supers and all

good luck mate

PD: The junctions in her armas and legs are black, not orange kinda tights looking should make the legs and arms look longer if u add them
Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:32:16 pm by vyn
#14  July 20, 2007, 02:33:21 pm
    • Germany
You're really being too negative here, guys.

About the gameplay: You can't make a 2d fighter samus from the stuff she does in any of her own games, and SSB's gameplay is so different it can hardly offer more than a few hints. So it makes sense to only very loosely base her moveset on what she does in those games, otherwise you're bound to get one projectile-frenzy, scrubby, overpowered char...

Rabite: Yeah but those effects were on space pirates and other goons - not what you'd call a challenging enemy at all - freezing a wallcrawler != very powerful ;P

Like any other character, this is not the Samus, but one individual creator's interpretation of her. Keep that in mind.
#15  July 20, 2007, 02:39:37 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
 now when i make samus no one will like it as much, well better the pro than me, well im still going to remake my samus, hey ill have to compete somehow XD
reu, i challenge you to a samus off, (yes i doubt ill win) who ever has the best samus in the end wins
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#16  July 20, 2007, 03:02:58 pm
You're really being too negative here, guys.

About the gameplay: You can't make a 2d fighter samus from the stuff she does in any of her own games, and SSB's gameplay is so different it can hardly offer more than a few hints. So it makes sense to only very loosely base her moveset on what she does in those games, otherwise you're bound to get one projectile-frenzy, scrubby, overpowered char...

Rabite: Yeah but those effects were on space pirates and other goons - not what you'd call a challenging enemy at all - freezing a wallcrawler != very powerful ;P

Like any other character, this is not the Samus, but one individual creator's interpretation of her. Keep that in mind.

I'm sorry but Reu has a history of making things obscenely difficult to fight. I don't want to see Samus get desecrated.

Oh and you can freeze metroids too, among other enemies that survive missile hits. I don't think that's exactly something you'd expect from something weak. I'm not sure Ryu could take a direct missile hit and keep fighting. Ditto for 90% of the rest of the MUGEN creations out there. Maybe the anime characters like Goku could.
#17  July 20, 2007, 03:11:42 pm
  • duwa duwa
reu characters are not that hard to fight at all some people can't block good like in some videos i've seen.

like cars in reverse ,  ya better back up
#18  July 20, 2007, 03:16:43 pm
  • Notorious Procrastinator
  • Proudly banned from /r/mugen
    • USA
"Just Block :mugoi:"
#19  July 20, 2007, 03:17:56 pm
    • Germany
I'm sorry but Reu has a history of making things obscenely difficult to fight. I don't want to see Samus get desecrated.

Oh and you can freeze metroids too, among other enemies that survive missile hits. I don't think that's exactly something you'd expect from something weak. I'm not sure Ryu could take a direct missile hit and keep fighting. Ditto for 90% of the rest of the MUGEN creations out there. Maybe the anime characters like Goku could.

Right, and 90% of all Mugen chars would turn into a bloody pile of flesh if Goku even lightly touched them... so?
#20  July 20, 2007, 03:20:05 pm
Are you N64Mario? AKA the one who said "Combos? Just block"

Did you ever get to try the versions of EK before you could block his stomp super low? So he could trap you down with a fireball then unblockable stomp leading into a combo? Also how do you block when you're in the middle of one of your own and he interrupts his teleport with Shinryuken? His AI is full of bullshit tactics and they need to be toned down. Especially the parts where he can get the MSSM versions of supers anytime he needs to for easier comboing. I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff but this is some of they key bullshit.