YesNoOk

How do Custom Bars work and how do I give my character 3, 1 for each variable? (Read 7076 times)

Started by Mimikyutest77, July 23, 2019, 03:11:40 pm
Share this topic:
How do Custom Bars work and how do I give my character 3, 1 for each variable?
#1  July 23, 2019, 03:11:40 pm
    • UK
I want to give my character 3 small bars that appear under his health bar. Shorter than the health bar, and thinner.

Meter 1 is his Guilty Gear inspired Tension meter. It fills up when he moves forwards and gets spent on Roman Cancels. It empties completely if he moves back too much.

Meter 2 is his Concentration Meter like Vergil's one from DMC4. Standing still fills his meter, getting hit empties it completely. The higher this meter goes, the more damage is added to the character's moves and the more meter gain is increased.

Meter 3 is variable 69. It's the Royal Guard meter. When Royal Guard is used all damage the character would normally take is instead put into Variable 69, so the character takes no damage, knockback or stun.

How do I draw and code these three meters, and get them to show up properly just below the character's health bar, which is in its default position? And how do I get them to appear under player 2's health bar if player 2 picks this character?
Re: How do Custom Bars work and how do I give my character 3, 1 for each variable?
#2  July 23, 2019, 04:53:34 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Wait, wasn't it pointed out in a thread from last week that there is no such thing as a variable beyond 59 (even then, it's usually best not to use the very last integer var to allow for AI patching)?

Either way, what you could do it set an explod for the custom meter (and a second one if you want to also have a gauge where the meter occupies) and use an fvar to both keep track of the conditions on increasing andecreasing the meter as well as apply modifyexplod to scale the meter size accordingly. I recommend an fvar so you can scale the meter in a fractional manner.

It's a bit tricky to do these without experience, so, I would recommend looking into my characters and study their guard crush meter to get an idea how this kind of thing works. It even includes positions for P1 and P2 sides.
Re: How do Custom Bars work and how do I give my character 3, 1 for each variable?
#3  July 23, 2019, 10:29:11 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net

1) don't rely your code on a hacked version of mugen, as you can't guarantee to (and it won't) work on a normal mugen
2) you don't need a total of 69 variables or more to code your characters. You can do anything with the standard set of 59 and assuming your code is really advanced, then you would also know how to consolidate multiple values into a single variable
3) you need to learn about variables, helpers and explods. Once you learn about them, then come back here and post the code you're developing. All the messages that you are posting do far are big generic questions and seems you are expecting people to write code for you
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#4  July 23, 2019, 10:37:51 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
The 3 meters you're asking about dont seem too hard to code. You'll want to look into super armor for your Royal Guard.

With the Roman Cancels meter, when you say he moves forward, do you mean ALL the time or just when walking? If it's just walking, you'd use a VarAdd inside State 20. Then when you use the move you do a varadd, or a varset if it goes back to 0.

Concentration Meter would work the same way, just in State 0. Except you'd put the varset in your get hit states, (5000s), or in Statedef -2.

Set up your DisplayToClipboard so you can watch your values using Debug. Press ctrl+d if it's not up.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv