YesNoOk

Alternate outfits (Read 5687 times)

Started by Creamy_Goodness, February 19, 2008, 02:43:37 am
Share this topic:
Alternate outfits
#1  February 19, 2008, 02:43:37 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

> I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but is it possible to make a character with more than one outfit? I'm not talking about alternate palettes or any other kind of color change, I'm talking about being able to choose from two totally different outfits with the same character, just like you can do in Tekken.

> Thx :)
= = = = = = = = = =
Jason "Creamy Goodness" Tenn
http://creamyg.jdluke.com/
Re: Alternate outfits
#2  February 19, 2008, 02:52:12 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Custom state bug. Always custom state bug. Will work perfectly well in a full game. But in normal mugen they'll revert temporarily if put into a custom state.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  February 19, 2008, 02:55:03 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Could also use separate sff and def files, one set for each outfit.
Means one more slot taken in the select screen, but gets around all issues.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#4  February 19, 2008, 12:06:54 pm
  • Coming Soon?
What about hold start for the second costume instead of two spots like in Warusaki's Ken?
Latest Yoshi alpha ready for feedback Aug 15th check here for details...
#5  February 19, 2008, 03:53:14 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
What about hold start for the second costume instead of two spots like in Warusaki's Ken?
Warusaki's Ken still has the Hold start thing for Normal and Violent Ken.
And both Kens do have different stances and moves, but they have the same gethit sprites, only the palette changes.

If they really had different outfits, the custom states would still be a problem (when you're thrown for example)
#6  February 19, 2008, 03:56:55 pm
  • Coming Soon?
hmm Guess same thing could be said for H's Iori and RotB Iori but what about the two haomahru's (spelling?)

but yea if the get hits are the same (honestly have not looked too closely) the clothes are the same and that idea is bust.
#7  February 19, 2008, 04:09:49 pm
    • France
Warusaki3 made seperate SFFs just to have separate small and big portraits.
#8  February 19, 2008, 04:26:10 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
with a wise palette management, and good sprite editing, you can make slightly alternate outfits via different palettes
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#9  February 19, 2008, 05:15:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, too bad you can't force a color to be transparent.
#10  February 20, 2008, 02:41:58 am
    • USA
    • creamyg.jdluke.com/

XGargoyle> I know of that technique. I'd always thought that Warner's Leela had different outfits, but when I viewed her in Fighter Factory, it turned out that each "outfit" was just a palette swap, and the sprites had been well crafted with this in mind. Inverse's Roomi also used this technique, but that was a more obvious palette swap.

> Instead of using custom states and dealing with its inherent problems (reverting back to the "default" sprites when thrown), would it be possible to use a separate sff file for each outfit, and use only one def file? This way, the character could use just one slot, and still have multiple outfits. The Ash Williams character at Mugenation can apparently use an snd file in either English or Spanish depending on the button used to select the character. Shin Ryoga's Super Mario has fundamental differences in abilities depending on which button is used to select him (Matrix, stone and ghost). Given this kind of versatility of the Mugen engine, I wouldn't have thought that alternate outfits would be so hard to pull off.
= = = = = = = = = =
Jason "Creamy Goodness" Tenn
http://creamyg.jdluke.com/
#11  February 20, 2008, 04:37:31 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Shin Ryoga's Super Mario has fundamental differences in abilities depending on which button is used to select him (Matrix, stone and ghost). Given this kind of versatility of the Mugen engine, I wouldn't have thought that alternate outfits would be so hard to pull off.

All one .snd file, go look. Ditto with mario, it's just a pallete swap. (ghost is a clever afterimage fiddle) Required sprites, as you know are the problem. You can't have 2 .sff files with 2 sets of required sprites working on the same character. You have to turn them into seperate characters as seen by mugen. Aside from full game, that's the only way round it.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#12  February 20, 2008, 04:43:54 am
Wow, you guys are pretty smart to be able to affect the game in this way...you can actually have a different costume? Like, normal Captain America, and then zombie Colonel America, if you wanted to?
#13  February 20, 2008, 11:42:58 am
    • France
you can actually have a different costume? Like, normal Captain America, and then zombie Colonel America, if you wanted to?
Did you actually read the previous posts ? Yes you can, but it would make it look ugly in custom states if both costum are completely different.
#14  February 20, 2008, 04:41:01 pm
    • interrage.deviantart.com/
Great, now you can have beach bungalo akuma and skydiving dhalsim!
#15  February 20, 2008, 04:48:36 pm
  • Coming Soon?
#16  February 21, 2008, 01:09:08 am
I read it, I just didn't believe it the first time.
#17  February 22, 2008, 12:29:13 am
but it would make it look ugly in custom states if both costum are completely different.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#18  February 22, 2008, 12:44:23 am
Y'know, Baiken, I read that the first time. Seeing it again doesn't make me see the light or anything. Christ on a fucking cracker...That reminds me, I should go see what the cursing policy is...
#19  February 22, 2008, 01:21:29 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#20  February 22, 2008, 02:32:25 am
Oh, I get it, this is hazing. Well, quote away, chillun.  ::) :o ;D