YesNoOk

The fate of this project and my future in mugen coding (Read 237406 times)

Started by Lost_Avenger, February 16, 2015, 01:53:58 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Should I continue this project or switch back to Street Fighter?

Capcom Fighting Jam 2
Street Fighter
You should go home and be a family man
The fate of this project and my future in mugen coding
#1  February 16, 2015, 01:53:58 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
    • www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php
So at this point, I still dont have much time for mugen anymore. I try to make time, but something always comes up. I dont want to let this project die, but I dont have the time or interest to commit fully to finishing it. So I have two options:
-Kill it, bury it, and pretend it never happened. Stick to my private character coding commitments and retire after.
-Re-evaluate the project. Adjust the goals and limit my overall work load.

Option 2 sounds better as the dead hooker in the yard is beginning to smell(jk). So... here is the idea

-Slash the roster and cut some of the characters with little or no progress
-Change the games name and overall course. From a sequel to more of a remake.
-Removing system features that I considered before(tagging, taunt bonuses, comeback mechanics, etc)
-Readding finished characters that were removed before(Cammy, Ken, Karin, Guile)
-Capping the initial roster to a more manageable number(around 24).
-Etc

Who would be dropped?
-Charlie(he's not dead, just going into a secret project)
-Haggar
-Jedah
-Others

Sorry. Maybe in the future, things will change, but for now, it has to be this way. Im getting old. I have a family now. Ive got a kid on the way and a demanding job. I wish I could do more, but I only get half of an off day now lol. End of text wall

-
http://www.Trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/
-
thanks again Vans/Jesuszilla!
Re: The fate of this project and my future in mugen coding
#2  February 16, 2015, 05:31:59 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Wow! It looks like we're seeing less of you. Good luck in the real world (You're going to need it).
#3  February 16, 2015, 11:54:18 pm
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
I know the situation... Now that I have 2 kids time is even less!

There is no one behind you and eventually you will have some free time (not so soon)...

So maybe just put it aside for some time and comeback when you fill like doing the rightthin for you.

#4  February 17, 2015, 02:50:18 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I wouldn't even downscale it. Just slowly work on the project when you can. Over time yo may even get to the cancelled characters!
#5  March 05, 2015, 05:25:28 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
I got a little coding done. Im starting to patch the removed characters back in that were finished or playable before

-
-
#6  March 05, 2015, 11:17:32 pm
    • www.dementi.it
Sound really ice!

#7  March 07, 2015, 01:46:32 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
I decided to redo Zangief entirely and scrapped my old one. Im trying to keep as much of SF4 in him as I can with what I have. Not advancing with certain moves is going to suck a bit. Not having his cl.mk from 4 or his s.hk hurt too.

In going to remove Hiryu's air grahm. Its too broken in its current form. I considered adding more recovery, making it air guardable, etc. I try to discourage jumping, but Hiryu was a bit rediculous at air to air. He actually ended up being a better Dhalsim so I may redo him too. His bomb drop formation probably needs more recovery. Recovery in general will probably fix him

-
-
#8  March 07, 2015, 01:49:29 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
Btw, Im full time now. So Ill get vacation days soon. The weather is warming too, so you can expect me to be a bit more active. They are back to no OT, so coding a bit during lunch should be occasionally possible now

-
-
#9  March 09, 2015, 01:37:26 am
  • Before you even ask, yes I did it.
    • USA
    • kersonetiene@gmail.com
Sounds Awesome! I'm really anxious to see some of the stuff you do in the future. Good Luck man!
Living off of borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
#10  March 12, 2015, 10:00:37 pm
    • www.dementi.it
Happy for you!!

#11  March 16, 2015, 12:48:18 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
Im going to cancel or repurpose some of my side projects so I can commit more to this project. As of now: Yun, Elena, and Charlie are being repurposed. Cvs versions of K', Annie, and Blanka are being cancelled. The CFj2 projects of Haggar, Sonson, and Jedah are cancelled (for now at least).

Zangief has been recoded. I scrapped my old one and decided to patch waru's instead to get a better sff. All of his normals are done for now as well as a few specials. His AI will be the hardest part.

In case this wasn't obvious, here is the new SF side roster:
Ryu(done mostly)
Guile(old)
Zangief(50%)
Bison(scrapping him and patching waru's. So 0%)
Alex(20%)
Chun-Li(old)
Yun(old. Repurposed project)
Urien(0%)
Karin(old)
Cammy(old)
Rose(repurposed project)
Sakura(old)
S.Akuma(old)
Ken(old)

Look familiar?

-
-
#12  March 16, 2015, 02:08:19 pm
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Two of Warusaki's CvS2 creations.... By chance the patching method you're utilizing is re-designating the .SFF, .AIR and SND files from Warusaki's works to a totally different CNS? (Or CNS made from scratch.) It's also fun to work on Waru's masterpieces, but can be lengthy if one's attempting to stick and then "trim down" his variables rich CvS2 CNS. There's also the need of translation for the labels of vars and fvars he's designated in his CvS2 works.

Anyhoo, best of luck on your MUGEN stuff, it would be perhaps comfortable and less stressful if you work on the roster per small batches first.
#13  March 17, 2015, 10:44:14 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
Basically, yes. Borrowing some code as well to save time. Seemed like the easiest way to go about it tbh. I cant trust Pots sffs anymore.

The CFJ guide showed up today btw. I learned some things I didn't know before. Its closer to cvs2 than I originally thought.

-
-
#14  March 18, 2015, 12:50:43 am
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Basically, yes. Borrowing some code as well to save time. Seemed like the easiest way to go about it tbh. I cant trust Pots sffs anymore.

The CFJ guide showed up today btw. I learned some things I didn't know before. Its closer to cvs2 than I originally thought.

CFJ was described by a number as a mere mostly "copy and paste" product, (Though the game's only original and made from scratch visual features were the stages, gorgeous sfx and a slight sprite mod for Demitri.) I guess the CvS2 resemblance could have also stemmed from it. Some fans even heckled the game as a "glorified MUGEN."

Is there something wrong with the SFF files for POTS' characters? Personally, one thing I noticed is that it seemed that the mid.pos for his Dan Hibiki seemed off. (I guess due to his actual sprites being big and HD.)
#15  March 18, 2015, 05:39:46 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
Alignment issues, missing sprites(though it doesn't really hurt them. I prefer having them anyway). Etc. Usually with his older cvs2 sprite sets like Ryu. The Alpha 3 sets are probably ok since those were easier to rip at the time iirc.

The cap between standard hit and block advantage in cvs2 was 0 frames. Some had more, but most normals were as safe on hit as they were on block. In CFJ, its one frame. Not the same, but still close.

Most of what I learned was in the juggling area. As well as anti air normal cancels. Weirdest thing I saw in cvs2 was when you just directly under an enemy that was jumping(you being Ryu), Shoryuken would no longer be air guardable

-
-
#16  March 23, 2015, 03:36:26 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
Zangief is down to one super left. As of now, his anti air super is his cvs2 LV1, but Im leaning toward his lv 3, but with reduced damage.  I may adjust his lv 3 animation later as well.

I may skip his AI and try to knock out another character instead. Patching a character doesn't take nearly as long so I may do Bison or Felicia next.

Im still having problems with ultra on steam so Elena has been pushed back

-
-
#17  March 23, 2015, 10:31:23 pm
    • www.dementi.it
Zangief is cool, but I am sad for Elena, i really want to see your take on her!

#18  March 24, 2015, 11:39:29 pm
  • Busy, busy, busy
Ultra wont transfer like it should. I copied it from my netbook to my tower like I did with other games and it didn't work. Using the exe in the folder causes an error too. I may have to use my tower to get data too. I don't think there were any good Elenas that could just be patched either iirc unless you guys know of any. Fido's isn't good and its the base sff

-
-
#19  April 01, 2015, 08:38:02 am
  • Busy, busy, busy
As of today, I am officially retiring from mugen. I had originally planned to release the next Alpha build of CFJ2 today, but it seemed so bad that I simply deleted my mugen folders instead. Im going to go home and be a family man. Good luck, guys.

-
-
#20  April 01, 2015, 08:45:16 am
  • A human that exists sometimes.
    • USA
this post doesn't exist
do the thing
Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:34:07 pm by ヤモリX