YesNoOk

STREET FIGHTER 4!!! (Read 353629 times)

Started by Shindoh, October 15, 2007, 10:45:33 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Preordered or Buying Street Fighter IV?

Hell Yes!! (Preordered Collectors Edition)
Bring it on!! (Preordered Standard)
Of course! (Buying Collectors Edition)
Yes! (Buying Standard)
Nope
Re: STREET FIGHTER 4!!!
#1481  April 04, 2008, 04:59:03 pm
  • SNK is life
At first SF3 made the future look like a place I didn't want to be in. Full of freaks.

If it wasn't for the normal human characters it would have been full of fail. I heart Urien.
#1482  April 04, 2008, 06:12:36 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#1483  April 04, 2008, 06:41:42 pm
  • SNK is life
Next thing you know they'll be mixing Chang Koehan with Necro and you'll have a pale barefoot guy who can stretch. I name thee Sergay
#1484  April 04, 2008, 07:09:34 pm
  • .We need a CvS Mature.
I whole heartedly agree. C.Viper's greasy biker-dyke look makes me cringe. I honestly don't really see SF4 doing all that well, I'm not even excited about it. The graphics look crappy
they are crappy just because they are non-realistic?!
They're crappy because it look like Clayfighter 360. The men look like apes and shading looks really awkward. It just looks like they made an attempt at realism and failed.
and the 2D fighting system with 3D graphics seems kinda lame to me. Isn't the whole point of having 3-Dimensions being to be able to move and interact on a realistic level?
No. 3D is another way of producing content for games, that is cheaper and more powerfull than 2D graphics. being realistic has nothing to do with it.

the fact that you can produce more realistic graphics in 3D than in 2D is more like colateral effect. remember that the first 3D graphic did not look realistic at all.

Why would you want something that looks relatively real and plays on a flat level? Think SFEX3, cuz that's exactly what 3D + not 8-way run is.
They should have just kept it 2D if they weren't gonna go all the way with the whole "Next-Gen" thing.....
Of course not. SF is a mainstream game. from a mainstream series. to be mainstream this days, you have to use 3D graphics

and the 2D gameplay? that is SF! SF ain't 8 directions movement or dial-a-combo. SF is quartercircle foward+punch. SF is 360º movements on the controler. to take that away just for the sake of "being 3D" is to commit the very same mistake of Midway.

sure, 3D MKs are great games. but did they become mainstream as the old 2D ones?

Oookay....So Street Fighter 4 would automatically fall out of the mainstream list for keeping up with it signature 2D graphics..? I don't think so.
Besides, SF hasn't been "mainstream" for years.
And I'm sure they'd be able to add a new control system..But I agree, too much hassle and a lot less SF. Which is why it should have stayed 2D in the first place..They could have tried something like what KOFXII is doing, Hyper-realism in 2D.
Maybe C.Viper wouldn't suck as bad in 2D?
C. Viper design has nothing todo with being 3D or not.
I think seeing C.Viper as a 2D sprite wouldn't look as bad, definately not SF but still. Her design still sucks though..She belongs up Falcoon's ass with the rest of his shit designs.

#1485  April 04, 2008, 07:20:04 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
No fighting game is realistic,i still can't make flames come out of my hand :-\

Edit : Member below took me seriously.
Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:27:56 pm by K.O.D
#1486  April 04, 2008, 07:21:34 pm
  • .We need a CvS Mature.

#1487  April 05, 2008, 12:07:42 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
They're crappy because it look like Clayfighter 360. The men look like apes and shading looks really awkward. It just looks like they made an attempt at realism and failed.

Why would you want something that looks relatively real and plays on a flat level? Think SFEX3, cuz that's exactly what 3D + not 8-way run is.

that is the point. the are NOT attempting realism here. Ono already anounced that the design of the game is aiming to look like "art in movement" not realistic. try to think Okami and Viewtfull joe here. the ink blots and non-realistic style are supposed to give the same feeling of something that was drawn. so, they are using 3D effects to give a 2D feel to the game.

[heck... is there a better word for non-realistic in english? in portuguese we have "estilizado" that means a drawing style that shows the artists uniqueness, or that simply doest not aim to full realism, but is not caricate either... I thinking of "stylish" but it does not sound right...]

and SFEX series did the exact error that Midway did. tried to transform SF in 3D just for the sake of it being 3D.
that is not SF. it might play a bit like, but it is not. no wonder it was done by another company. and what ARIKA did with SFEX series is definitely NOT what CAPCOM is doing here.

Oookay....So Street Fighter 4 would automatically fall out of the mainstream list for keeping up with it signature 2D graphics..? I don't think so.
Besides, SF hasn't been "mainstream" for years.

my friend... there was no new sf game in 10 years. do you think mario would be mainstream today if they keept re-hashing Mario 64?! even KOF, that had a new installment every year up to 2003, did not keep on mainstream.

and yes. SF would fall out of mainstream just for keeping up with signature 2D graphics. why? because 2D itself ain't mainstream anymore. it cost much more to develop, and people today don't see 2D as something you should pay $60 to play. they see 2D as something you should pay only $10 or download for free on the internet.

but wait.... today we have the technology to make beautifull non-realistic 3D graphics. today we can use the powerfull 3D graphics to have a 2D feel to them. so, we can have a game 3D but still true to its 2D roots. specialy if you give a 2D gameplay to them.

and guess what CAPCOM is doing?

And I'm sure they'd be able to add a new control system..But I agree, too much hassle and a lot less SF. Which is why it should have stayed 2D in the first place..They could have tried something like what KOFXII is doing, Hyper-realism in 2D.

WOW! KOFXII hyper-realistic?! check Athena's face! check the shading! the whole game looks "HD CVS" which is not realistic, but ain't non-realistic either. its a style that sits just on the line that separates the 2. (which is my favorite 2D style BTW).

and you are forgetting something: KOF ain't mainstream anymore. SNK is using "HD Sprites" because its depends on the niche of fighting games fans. and that is what we are today: a niche. and even SNK is experimenting with 3D on the new Samurai Showdown. but its keeping KOF 2D so they don't loose the guys who pay their bills.

SF is aiming Mainstream. as Ono himself said, SF wants to take fighting games out of the basement and put then on the front of the arcade store. and to do that, he is using the best of both worlds: the appeal of 3D graphics, and the uniqueness of 2D gameplay.

I think seeing C.Viper as a 2D sprite wouldn't look as bad, definately not SF but still. Her design still sucks though..She belongs up Falcoon's ass with the rest of his shit designs.

meh... can't argue with personal opinions... but falcoon can do much worse. if C. Vipers was by Falcoon, she would probably be his best work.

i mean... i like her. She is like a beauty among beasts: she is the freak of the class because of the looks. this is a total inversion of modern society values!!! so you see, C. Viper is social criticism  :D

#1488  April 05, 2008, 12:48:29 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Maybe you wanted to use this word...
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stylized
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/stylized

But 3d renders with 2d filters are still a long way to look the same as 2d art, so let's not overestimate Capcom and yes, it is hard to argue with personal opinions, because a lot of people liked Falcon's pre-professional works, that is why some falcon fans use the argument of "why do his designs suck now that he is more popular?".
#1489  April 05, 2008, 12:51:21 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Because he started doing his own designs instead of sticking to those of others.

He is a stylish artist, he adds small details to big designs, he is however a person that crafts characters that would have a whole team dedicated only to their hair before each fight.
#1490  April 05, 2008, 12:52:52 am
  • .We need a CvS Mature.
Well, arguing over the internet is useless so I'm just going to say that Street Fighter 4 does not look promising. IN MY OPINION.
You're opinion's great, but don't go taking what I said and trying to make your statements seem like they're solid facts by trying to 1up me with "Capcom is doing this" "They're aming for that" aside from what we've all read how do you know what they were trying for? Half of the things you've been saying are pretty much just fanboy babble.
People are bound to have different opinions then you, attacking them for it is way unneccesary.

Also, I don't remember saying KOF is mainstream. Personally I like the SF series better but when I compare SF4 and KOFXII, I'm looking forward to KOFXII more. And how if SF still main stream? I don't know what Mario 64 has to do with anything but when you ask people about what fighting games they like it'll be something along the lines of: "Tekken, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear..I also remember playing Street Fighter back in the day."
I'm not saying Tekken and Soul Calibur are the best (I don't really like either too much) but nowadays as far as fighting games go that's what's on the store shelves.
So, yeah. I'm completely done.

No hard feelings btw.

#1491  April 05, 2008, 12:59:04 am
  • .We need a CvS Mature.
Because he started doing his own designs instead of sticking to those of others.

He is a stylish artist, he adds small details to big designs, he is however a person that crafts characters that would have a whole team dedicated only to their hair before each fight.
Yeah. ::)
I mean maybe if he toned it down a but and gave the characters a signature looks in stead of barfing colours and hair-gel on them all they'd be better. I guess I just hate how all his designs need weird 50's beehivesque hair-dos or giant Mingnon ringlet things...The hair is just, odd.
Some outfits are rather stylish though, like Nagase's. Ninon's is nice and simple, I like her design a lot.  :)

#1492  April 05, 2008, 01:12:50 am
  • mm music
    • mugenxero.deviantart.com
*Looks at the hair color of above avatar*...

I have many names, 
                            Chrisis X is my current sig :P

mugenxero.deviantart.com = Me
#1493  April 05, 2008, 02:31:17 am
  • .We need a CvS Mature.

#1494  April 05, 2008, 09:31:39 pm
  • Wandering....
I said and trying to make your statements seem like they're solid facts by trying to 1up me with "Capcom is doing this" "They're aming for that" aside from what we've all read how do you know what they were trying for?

I have been lurking on capcom bbs some time. its been mentioned by TAS a number of times that they(capcom) aim for that audience like toni said and Sven or Lost has the same point of view like TAS. You could question them if you want too.

And how if SF still main stream?

it was during the 90's then lost in 2k so in its comeback it should still compete with the mainstream again or be the same quality as like the mainstream.

As for falcon design i actually like his character design. Its so fashionable better than SF ones but SF is trying to keep its impression of its characters being a fighter not superstars and fashion models which mentioned by TAS and LOST.
Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:00:41 pm by The Shakunetsu
#1495  April 05, 2008, 09:54:16 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
[heck...  is there a better word for non-realistic in english? in portuguese we have "estilizado" that means a drawing style that shows the artists uniqueness, or that simply doest not aim to full realism, but is not caricate either...  I thinking of "stylish" but it does not sound right...]
Stylized.  ;P

Why would you want something that looks relatively real and plays on a flat level?
Because letting characters sidestep would remove a lot of what makes a SF game, it was sort of ok in KOF:MI because chars could always evade in the games anyway, but with a SF game it'd be a bigger (unwanted) step.

For example, in any SF game, when you use a super (assuming it's one you can't jump over) the opponent really has to deal with it, be it trying to hit you out of it or block and receive some damage.  If chars could move in 3D then they'd just sidestep and there, free chance to own you, like a parry with no risk.
Another one is (and leaving SF3 out of the picture here) how useful projectiles are in SF games, again if chars could sidestep they (projectiles) would only be like 10% as useful.
List goes on, but basically it wouldn't really feel like a SF game if people could sidestep, and the main goal they have for the gameplay is keeping intact what made the 2D games fun.  It's still taking advantage of running in 3D, though, the stages rotate as characters fight and there are dramatic camera angles here and there.

And people can argue all they want till hell freezes over, but nowadays a 3D game sells more than one in 2D by default (unless it's a Pokémon :sugoi:).
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#1496  April 05, 2008, 11:18:33 pm
Why would you want something that looks relatively real and plays on a flat level?
Less retarded question : why would you not want that ? How does a 3D area force you to use 3D movements ? 2D>3D anyway. IT'S A DESIGN CHOICE, LIVE WITH IT ! Some people actually like it, just because you don't doesn't make your opinion universal.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#1497  April 06, 2008, 12:25:22 am
    • Brazil
Well, arguing over the internet is useless so I'm just going to say that Street Fighter 4 does not look promising. IN MY OPINION.

you are no fun....  :( you seem to be a inteligent human being, capable of a inteligent discussion solid base on facts... (at least your palettes showed me that)... I tought i finally had a worthy opponent on the fields of internet discussion...

oh well...

You're opinion's great, but don't go taking what I said and trying to make your statements seem like they're solid facts by trying to 1up me with "Capcom is doing this" "They're aming for that" aside from what we've all read how do you know what they were trying for? Half of the things you've been saying are pretty much just fanboy babble.
People are bound to have different opinions then you, attacking them for it is way unneccesary.

well... those are not my opinion (at least not 100%). as Shakunetsu pointed out, that is basically what has been said about the game, either on the many magazines and websites or by Capcom itself on its BBS (i'm a member of the Capcom BBS as well, and take a look there every day).

but i agree with you. different people have different opinions. i just wanted to clear that what i said is not "fanboy babble" (well... 90% of it is not :P).

And how if SF still main stream?

it is not, since the series has been frozen for 10 years.

I don't know what Mario 64 has to do with anything

It is just to illustrate my point. Mario is the perfect example of a Mainstream 2D series that succesfully made the transition to 3D and kept being a mainstream and succesfull series. which is what CAPCOM hopes to do with SF.

No hard feelings btw.

none on my side either.  :sugoi:

@P.o.T.S and Satou Sei: thanks. that is the word i was looking for.

@Baiken: chill out, man! you will have a heart attack that way.  :P
#1498  April 07, 2008, 02:18:11 am

Well I guess is a matter of tastes. For me the graphics are far to be beautiful, I mean just look at new pictures of El FUERTE in the offical site, they looks too polygonal in general for me the graphics looks like from an old game for ps2 and not just that, in my opinion the characters in this game doesnt resembles the personality that they always had. Ryu has psychopath face with blue eyes, not to mention that his body proportions are worst(his legs lokks a little bit short)and just look what the did to Chun-Li, While her legs arent so fat like in SFIII(which is good) they give her huge manly hands, fallen boobs, and teenage-boy face.
#1499  April 07, 2008, 02:32:17 am
    • Brazil

Well I guess is a matter of tastes. For me the graphics are far to be beautiful, I mean just look at new pictures of El FUERTE in the offical site, they looks too polygonal in general for me the graphics looks like from an old game for ps2 and not just that, in my opinion the characters in this game doesnt resembles the personality that they always had. Ryu has psychopath face with blue eyes, not to mention that his body proportions are worst(his legs lokks a little bit short)and just look what the did to Chun-Li, While her legs arent so fat like in SFIII(which is good) they give her huge manly hands, fallen boobs, and teenage-boy face.

your post has made me curious about something: what do you think about the graphics from Okami?
#1500  April 07, 2008, 07:50:08 pm
okami surrealism + cultural inking = win  ;D
Hello guys.  I have touched children.