YesNoOk

MegaMan Zero help: Shield Boomerang (reflect projectiles) (Read 1737 times)

Started by RedDragonCats17, January 01, 2019, 06:06:22 am
Share this topic:
MegaMan Zero help: Shield Boomerang (reflect projectiles)
#1  January 01, 2019, 06:06:22 am
  • Part-Time MUGEN creator
    • USA
    • Skype - reddragoncats17
    • reddragoncats17.weebly.com/
First of all: Thank you to Ink for helping me fix the boomerang portion of the Shield Boomerang, but the weapon isn't done yet.

I need to make the shield portion of the weapon, which is the portion that reflects the opponent's projectiles. Like this:

https://streamable.com/ock4h

Ryon said that I should make a helper with a red box, and use a reversaldef for that. The thing is, I want the reflected shot to use the opponent's projectile animation like what you see in Ultimate Zero and Vent.

I already got the base set up. It doesn't have the helper yet, as you can see:

https://streamable.com/bis4z

So, how can I achieve this?
Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:00:33 am by RedDragonCats17
Re: MegaMan Zero help: Shield Boomerang (reflect projectiles)
#2  January 01, 2019, 09:24:25 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
This is one of the most common hopes people have when it comes to M.U.G.E.N.

Opponent's projectile animation for ReversalDef is quite difficult (or almost IMPOSSIBLE) to achieve.
1) I would recommend triggers that detect enemy's names so that if an enemy is a char with a certain projectile animation, you can send the specific one out yourself.

2) The other method I have yet to test is to see if I can reverse the direction of the projectile in some way without destroying it (etc). This would mean lots of helpers and etc, but I highly doubt it'll work.

3) Just use a generic projectile as the missile. It makes the whole thing much easier.
#3  January 01, 2019, 08:18:54 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Unfortunately, reflecting a projectile in mugen isn’t perfect. There are some methods that work with some characters but not with others. No projectile that is not a helper can be reflected at all currently.

Ryon is describing exactly what is in the video. N64Mario/GCNMario uses ReversalDef for a reflect move in one of his characters. The problem is there is no hitspark on contact and if a projectile uses possadd instead of vel the projectile won’t move(if I remember right, this could probably be fixed.), also if a projectile uses an explod it will not be flipped to face the right direction. You can check out his version here.
http://gcnmario.free.fr/mugen/guile.html

The best option in my opinion is to use Vans’ projectile reflection system.
It checks to see if the opponent is compatible with the system. If it’s compatible the projectile will reflect perfectly. If it’s not, a generic projectile of your own will be returned to the opponent. You can check out the tutorial here.
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/tutorial-飛び道具を跳ね返し方法-projectile-reflection-178433.0.html

I was working on one other version but never worked out the bugs. It most likely has just as many limitations as the above.

Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:26:23 pm by ink
#4  January 01, 2019, 10:39:03 pm
    • USA
Crap, all of the projectiles in all of the characters are not helpers. I know how to make one that is a helper, but I don't want to go off replacing EVERY SINGLE PROJECTILE with helpers.
#5  January 03, 2019, 02:31:22 am
    • USA
Since I saw this is for a fullgame...
If you plan on releasing these characters separately for regular mugen then all of the above posts are true.

If they are strictly for the fullgame then that changes a lot of things. You can do pretty much anything you want and not have to worry about compatibility outside of the fullgame.
#6  January 03, 2019, 05:52:39 am
    • USA
The characters are for the fullgame. However, I will release modified versions of these characters for regular MUGEN IF there's enough demand. If there isn't, well, I'll just keep the characters for myself.

Are there any alternatives for the reflector? Or do I really have to turn all of the projectiles into helpers?
#7  January 03, 2019, 03:55:39 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You really should have been making helpers from the beginning.
You might want to make a very basic projectile set up. Then figure out how to transfer your type = projectile info into a hitdef and what ever the other settings need. VelSet, VelAdd, ChangeAnim, those types of things.
If you're not worried about releasing them and some users getting bugs, you can keep them as projectiles.
Van's projectile system is pretty good though. You might want to learn how to follow it now. It'll help you out in the long run.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#8  January 03, 2019, 10:13:01 pm
    • USA
I guess I can give it a try.

Update: Wow, I didn't know it was going to be that easy, and nothing was different. I guess I'll work on the level 1 charge shot next.

As of now, I tried my new projectile on Zero's shield using Omega Zero, and it apparently makes a clone.

Here's the code:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Right now I'm just using the standard bullet as a test for this. I want the shield of the Shield Boomerang to deflect certain projectiles, such as standard bullets from the rock type characters, MegaMan Zero, Model ZX, Grey, and Ashe. And the level 1 charge shot from said characters. Those are for starters. I'm not sure about some of the bosses, though.
Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:42:10 am by RedDragonCats17
#9  January 04, 2019, 01:59:51 am
    • USA
The projectile it's self is a clone from the start or once you it hits that ReversalDef?

I don't know what you are asking.
#10  January 04, 2019, 02:01:49 am
    • USA
It becomes a clone once it hits the reversealdef.
#11  January 04, 2019, 02:04:03 am
    • USA
The problem probably happens in state 240.

That's the state you have it go to in the reversealdef (p2stateno = 240)
#12  January 04, 2019, 02:12:40 am
    • USA
Ahaaaah, so what do I do about that? I'm looking at Vans' projectile reflecting tutorial, but at the same time I'm wondering if you have anything in mind as well.
#13  January 04, 2019, 02:18:57 am
    • USA
I don't know what you mean. You can either study N64Mario/GCNMario's Guile that I linked or you can go with Vans.

The reversealdef you have right now would only work on "Model ZX" or "MegaMan Zero" so I'm not sure if you are trying to make it compatible to regular Mugen or not..(because of the triggers you are using.)

"p2stateno =" is the state that tells the reflected projectile how to act. You have to tell it what to do.
Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:33:23 am by ink
#14  January 04, 2019, 04:20:27 am
    • USA
Okay, I got it to work properly, but there's one tiny problem. The helper for the shield itself won't go away.

Even if I put the shield away, the hit box is still in place when I press ctrl+C. I've tried EVERYTHING for the destroyself. I even made a separate state, and it still won't destroy itself. If I put in command != "hold_b", the helper won't be on the shield at all.

What do I do? How do I make it destroy itself when I let go of B?
#15  January 04, 2019, 05:07:01 am
    • USA
Before you had stateno = 271 as a trigger in the destroyself sctrl, so it would never trigger because it’s in state 2702. What was 271 for??

#16  January 04, 2019, 05:14:40 am
    • USA
It's for putting the shield away when I let go of B.
#17  January 04, 2019, 01:12:36 pm
    • USA
Oh, that’s probably the problem with the destroyself trigger. Anytime you want a helper to check something the character(root) is doing you’ll need to us redirects. So “root,stateno = 271”.

Also I think that’s probably the only trigger you’ll need for the destoryself.

You can learn more about redirects here if you don’t know much about them: http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.2159667

Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:33:34 pm by ink
#18  January 04, 2019, 11:50:09 pm
    • USA
It works! Thanks!

I think I'll save the weapons system for later, since it's possibly the hardest out of everything in this character. The Z Emblem still needs to be fixed, though. So I hope you guys don't mind me bumping the thread since Odb was gone since my last post in that thread.