YesNoOk

SSF4NES - Super Street Fighter 4 NES (Read 7822 times)

Started by Rolento, September 09, 2010, 03:06:21 am
Share this topic:
SSF4NES - Super Street Fighter 4 NES
#1  September 09, 2010, 03:06:21 am
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
The idea's been bouncing around for a bit now, but now seems like a good idea to officially get it started as Bia has given me the okay to use SF2NES' assets to get a headstart on the whole thing. Pre-existing characters shall be getting some new animations/moves based off their SSF4 takes along with other changes all around. Here's a preview of the new set of life and power bars in progress:

Pixelly goodness.

Here's a list of some of the additions/changes that are in mind from what you know from SF2Nes:
- New title comes with new screenpack that takes advantage of widescreen ratio.
- The Revenge meter isn't just for show; Ultras will replace multiple level supers.
- Focus attacks are going in. I did make that code earlier, so might as well use it.
- Strongly thinking about upping the current button usage from 4 basics and 2 throws to the standard 6.

Probably forgetting a few things which will come back to me later.
Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:00:24 pm by Rolento

Bea

Re: Super Street Fighter 4 NES
#2  September 09, 2010, 03:14:52 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
 :tearsofjoy:
My baby is getting all grown up and serious.

I can't wait to see how this will evolve.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#3  September 09, 2010, 05:11:05 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
looks nice!

Will you add the guy at yout avatar?
#4  September 09, 2010, 05:24:08 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Yes, Hakan will be part of the roster. He's the first of the newcomers which are getting spritework done at the moment.
#5  September 09, 2010, 08:01:54 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Will you make the gameplay "faithful" to SSF4 to some extent (if you can so for Nes styled sprites), will you keep Bia's combo frenziness, or will you take a totally different road for gameplay ?

Good luck. :)
#6  September 09, 2010, 08:09:10 am
  • I'm not a player, I guard-crush a lot.
    • USA
    • mugenorama.smeenet.org/index.html
Ooh.  Color me excited.  I rather love the SF2NES play style, so an evolution of its engine would probably do just as well, and would be less work overall, since it'd be less new code to make.

Best of luck, indeed. :)
#7  September 09, 2010, 03:21:25 pm
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
ahahah wicked lifebars bro  :sugoi:
#8  September 09, 2010, 03:53:44 pm
    • USA
This is awesome.
#9  September 09, 2010, 06:17:28 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Cybaster: Definitely taking game play cues from the source title where possible. As for the comboability, I'd have to say at the moment that it will likely be somewhere in the middle. Not quite sure yet where the happy medium will be, but that's what beta testing is for.

Before anyone else can ask (got a question in private,) the custom additions made to some of the characters, like Ryu's SF2Nes EX hadoken, will be made use of in alternate versions of the characters. Not letting those good ideas go to waste, and more options for game play are always nice.

Adding onto the point forms from earlier;
- Going with 6 buttons after all.
- Regarding effects, I can recall some questioning from before about the fact there were effects using transparency in an 8-bit title. Think I got a good compromise solution in mind by having it so you can either select these original effects or opt for some 8-bit renditions instead through a config file.
- Speaking of alternate versions of characters, it might not be too far fetched to have a special version of Dictator around based on the SF2 Animated film as there is already the stage and theme for it.
- Just to get it out there, I'm going to be looking for a hand later for the soundtrack; I've got 8-bit versions of the old cast, but blanks for the SF4/SSF4 newcomers. While using the latter ost themes would work, some like Hakan's just are lacking in the official takes. Why couldn't it have been as catchy as the trailer?

<- Added screenshot for good measure. Not a mock up.
Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:03:53 pm by Rolento
#10  September 09, 2010, 06:36:53 pm
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
Very nice proyect man!

Good luck!  :sugoi:
#11  September 09, 2010, 11:26:14 pm
  • You must be sexy to stand a chance!
I hope you consider Sheng Long (NES version) as a secret character.  ;D

Note: Sheng Long is not Gouken, Sheng Long is a completely different character.

#12  September 09, 2010, 11:30:16 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Ryu, Ken, Dan, Sean, Gouken, Akuma. I think there are enough shotoclones already.
#13  September 09, 2010, 11:39:37 pm
Yeah, but one more or one less... AND, all these shotoclones have their differences. Especially Gouken and Sheng Long.

#14  September 09, 2010, 11:54:48 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Paraside: Not sure if you've tried SF2NES, but the EGM hoax Sheng Long actually already exists in NES form. There's a pretty good chance of him being revamped to work in this project, but the normal cast will come first.
#15  September 10, 2010, 03:43:31 am
The EGM hoax Sheng Long actually already exists in NES form. There's a pretty good chance of him being revamped to work in this project, but the normal cast will come first.

I know, that's why I said: Sheng Long (NES version).  :)

#16  September 10, 2010, 06:40:01 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Fair enough, couldn't quite tell from your initial post. Also as of this posting, set up a good chunk of the SF2Nes stages to fit in this new ratio.

MDD

#17  September 10, 2010, 08:25:43 pm
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Sheng Long. Yes.

Also, are you putting in Yung and Yang, since they're going to be added to the arcade version? And what about your namesake?
#18  September 10, 2010, 08:30:18 pm
    • http://nxistence.tumblr.com/
how are you going to handle the counter ultras, i.e. for fei long and cammy, in the game? are you going to be going for accuracy, or will you have them counter everything that isn't a throw based move? the reason i ask is because both of those can leave the characters open to certain specials. like for fei long : he can counter shoryukens, but can't counter some other anti-air stuff like flash kick. he can counter scissor kick, but not psycho crusher, etc, etc. i'm actually compiling a list (that i doubt i'd be able to implement properly outside of a full game) for the sake of it and would easily do so for cammy as well.
#19  September 10, 2010, 08:38:36 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Sho: That is a list I'd like to see. I haven't had the chance to really test all the counter ultras out to see what is possible, so a list like that would be pretty useful to have.

Mala: I'll wait a bit until more are known about Yun and Yang, but they will be present later on. (Also, you're welcome Rabite.) I also imagine that SSF4Nes will have 100% more Rolento than any current build of the proper title unless he does get added later on, in which case it will be equal parts Rolento.

Also want to make it known that while I shall be aiming for a respectable level of accuracy to the original, I am up for taking user input for some buffs or nerfs. I can't promise that every suggestion will be used, but I will consider any reasonable idea tossed my way.

[edit] Well, there is one thing that I won't consider: any suggestion about giving Guy any kunai/ninja blades. That was stupid in the ending, and would be stupid in game play.
Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:50:05 pm by Rolento
Re: SSF4NES - Super Street Fighter 4 NES
#20  September 12, 2010, 09:11:42 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Double post in order as I've got a few fancy shots, plus want to mention that thanks to Sho I was reminded about that fancy set of SSF4 hitbox data videos which ought to help with a few things. Starting up the upgrades with Ryu and the world warriors, which will likely be what is present for the first public beta testing. I don't know what that will be just yet, but I'll be sure to bring something up when it's closer.

Now, for some more pretty pictures: