YesNoOk

In-game Transformations into Other Characters (Read 50883 times)

Started by SSJKJ, October 26, 2014, 03:11:40 am
Share this topic:
In-game Transformations into Other Characters
#1  October 26, 2014, 03:11:40 am
    • USA
    • moore.kenneth99@gmail.com
YO!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm new to Mugen and stuff, and I already have a question.

1) What versions of fighter factory should I be using with Mugen 1.0 characters?
2) Is there a way to make a character transform into another character using that said version? Such as Goku Z2 into SSJ Goku Z2?

That's two questions actually xD.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks,

SSJKJ
Re: In-game Transformations into Other Characters
#2  October 26, 2014, 05:38:15 am
  • Coder and Voice Actor
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/thisisgir
I'm curious about this too.. Is there a trigger or sctrl to switch def files  :???: I know you can switch palettes and sffs.. but this I'm not so sure.
#3  October 26, 2014, 05:43:56 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
In response to OP:
1. FF3
2. It's... not as easy as opening up a program.

In response to the previous post, no, there isn't.
#4  October 26, 2014, 06:51:18 am
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
#5  October 26, 2014, 06:51:56 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
You can't switch SFF's.
#6  October 26, 2014, 06:53:30 am
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
Thought as much :/
#7  October 26, 2014, 07:47:49 am
  • Coder and Voice Actor
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/thisisgir
In theory it should work, it would coincide with RemapPal
#8  October 26, 2014, 08:00:26 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
There's no SCTRL or anything of the sort for it.
#9  October 29, 2014, 10:44:58 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Gouketsuji sisters and Neogouki's/LuvlyAngel's KOF Newfaces Team have a word to say to you, people...

"Switch" between characters can be possible in MUGEN, but it's very difficult to do and very few creators achieved it with success. It's A LOT of coding (and helpers, and var(x) and so on) to do, and both characters' sprites and anims should be in the same SFF and AIR respectively. In the case of Z2's Goku (normal and SSJ), you probably have to remake SFF to add both characters into one, then remake the anims in AIR and make a code to change them between the fight

And before you ask: NO. It's impossible to pick 2 already created characters and make the thing you want. If you want to create a character that can switch during the fight, you've to create by yourself.

I hope this helps ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#10  October 30, 2014, 04:50:11 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
The problem with that basara is that if goku gets custom stated he wont be "ssj" anymore. It would look really tacky and that's why people have never gone that far with the concept.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#11  October 30, 2014, 05:10:13 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
That's why I said that few people achieved it. In most of cases I saw about that, the "transformation" should stop if the character is in a gethit state, but I know cases when it's by time instead hit and the character has custom gethits for his/her alternate self

Other case I forgot was NGBC Yuki and his Atomic Boy transformation, also the change of gameplay and basics (but gethits), mostly seen in KOF, in Korea Team, especifically (May Lee and Jhun Hoon) and in Street Fighter series in the form of Gen

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:13:27 pm by Basara Dandy
#12  November 07, 2014, 06:46:28 pm
In game transformations aren't too bad. However, you are basically coding two characters at that point. You have to fully flesh out your base character, then go through the motions for your transformed character as well.

The one major flaw with transformations as the two above me said, is that when the transformed character is put in a custom state, they will use the untransformed sprites. There isn't a practical way around this, BUT, what I did in my character smooths the transition.

Whenever the transformed character goes into a custom state you can flash the screen and add small FX to your character (energy leaving them, etc.) under a helper or state -2, so that it looks like they were forced to detransform by losing power. Then when they come back into their own states (transformed animations, etc.) have the special FX reverse, so it looks like they gained power back and retransformed. That's the best solution I could come up with for the transformation flaw.
#13  November 08, 2014, 03:11:28 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Every other solution put forward needs cooperation.

Probably the least intrusive which doesn't need a variable was one E came up with some time ago. Where you actually include each required animation in your .air file. That way the person at the other end can do changeanim if anim = blah, without it buggering up. You would not then use an animation, but assemble it with changeanim2's. The transformee needs them as well for each transformation, but that's something you'd do anyway.

It still requires people to start coding like that. If there is no willingness to set aside a variable it's unlikely to happen.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#14  November 08, 2014, 03:29:45 am
Wow Cyanide you're still around?

Also, I've never seen that solution around although it makes sense. Can you point out any chars that exist today with E's method implemented?
#15  November 08, 2014, 03:56:31 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Nope, nobody has done it. It's time consuming. The person would have to make 30 or so special animations, and then any custom state is done with a bunch of changeanim2's rather than a single one. It doesn't screw your variables round or require a community variable for it.

Does require the transformations to use a constant + 10000 for all the anims though.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#16  November 09, 2014, 05:12:08 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ

Probably the least intrusive which doesn't need a variable was one E came up with some time ago. Where you actually include each required animation in your .air file. That way the person at the other end can do changeanim if anim = blah, without it buggering up. You would not then use an animation, but assemble it with changeanim2's. The transformee needs them as well for each transformation, but that's something you'd do anyway.

It still requires people to start coding like that. If there is no willingness to set aside a variable it's unlikely to happen.
That would only help with the required animations.
But what if an opponent sets the character in question into a custom state (this can happen to almost every regular throw)? Then, E's idea wont work.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#17  November 09, 2014, 08:01:03 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
you have no idea what you are talking about, re-read cyanide's posts.
#18  November 09, 2014, 10:19:47 pm
  • PSN&Steam: ViBeZ8282/Le-Fiction
    • USA
    • vonthegreat653@hotmail.com

That would only help with the required animations.
But what if an opponent sets the character in question into a custom state (this can happen to almost every regular throw)? Then, E's idea wont work.

I think he knows what he's talking about (and doing)
#19  November 10, 2014, 03:23:59 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
He did miss the point, actually.

The proposed solution is hardcoding sprite calls as individual animations and calling them using ChangeAnim2. This would require programming special throw animations frame-by-frame and manually animating them using time triggers.

Changing the required animations in non-custom states has never been a problem and is trivial.

In a way this is making up for what a "ChangeSpr" controller would do.
#20  November 10, 2014, 05:16:23 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Wow Cyanide you're still around?

Also, I've never seen that solution around although it makes sense. Can you point out any chars that exist today with E's method implemented?

the characters are private , I am pretty sure i mad a tutorial/post explaining the method, but it's most likely lost in time, you have something like:

[anim 5000000]
5000,000,etc..
[anim 5000010]
5000,010,etc...

etc..

in the air file

then in your required animations instead of calling your own animation that plays all the frames as a single anim, you call frame by frame:

that way the target can have empty getg hit animations and call explods overlays as he will know exactly which sprites are showing.

sry if some "code" comes out weird, I have not done mugen stuff for years now.