YesNoOk

General Sonic The Hedgehog franchise discussion  (Read 91521 times)

Started by Hyogo, February 25, 2013, 03:24:51 am
Share this topic:
General Sonic The Hedgehog franchise discussion
#1  February 25, 2013, 03:24:51 am
  • Holy BRAP
    • UK
Talk about the speeding pile of blue that we've been raving for since the 90's.

Reviews, opinions or whatever related to Sonic the Hedgehog will be talked about here.
All types of games he's been in or even cameos would be great too.

Also to stop the Sonic talk/Drama in the Game review thread :x

With that said, chat away.
Re: General Sonic The Hedgehog franchise discussion
#2  February 25, 2013, 03:28:05 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Since we finished talking about SA2...

Opinions on SA1?
#3  February 25, 2013, 03:42:40 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
SA1 is the greatest Sonic game ever to be gifted to mankind.
[/thread]
Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:54:56 am by TRUEMicah
#4  February 25, 2013, 03:46:14 am
Never did finish SA1 because I wasn't able to fully comprehend how to complete one of Big's levels. I should go back and do it though sometime in life.
#5  February 25, 2013, 03:49:25 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Those levels ruin an almost almost perfect game. (Almost perfect because Amy's levels suuuck.. and then Big just ruins it for most people)

You're not missing much, just a simple boss fight.
#6  February 25, 2013, 03:50:18 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Only one I recall playing all the way through.  Lost interest in Sonic when SA2 came along.

Soundtrack was memorable, or at least the Mystic Ruins main hub song was for me.  Though the character themes themselves....well, they were silly back then, they've just gotten more ridiculous with age.

Gameplay was.....ok, but that camera is plain evil.

Best part was easily Omega Gamma's story, and ironically it was because it was the most detached from the other character's stories.

Anyways, it was ok overall.  Kinda wished that HD re-release fixed some of its issues, though.
Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:06:26 am by Llong Jjohn Killer
#7  February 25, 2013, 04:00:48 am
    • USA
(Almost perfect because Amy's levels suuuck.. and then Big just ruins it for most people)
Going from memory, Amy's levels weren't THAT bad.  Big's levels however, were fucking terrible.

Soundtrack was memorable, or at least the Mystic Ruins main hub song was for me.  Though the character themes themselves....well, they were silly back then, they've just gotten more ridiculous with age.
Most of the character's had pretty legit themes IMO.
My least favorite were Amy's and Big's themes.
Everyone else had themes that fitted their distinct personalities.

Best part was easily Omega's story, and ironically it was because it was the most detached from the other character's stories.
Hell yea, E-102 Gamma had an epic storyline with a huge deviation from standard Sonic gameplay.
His ending was so sad though. :( 

#8  February 25, 2013, 04:03:43 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
That ending made me cry when I was 9, I spent hours on that story just to see him die. Guess it was one of the first times i even encountered the thought of having one of your hero characters dying after their struggles are finished.
#9  February 25, 2013, 04:08:34 am
    • USA
Yea pretty much.
I honestly thought Sonic or some other Hero character would've saved him from Omega.
I knew Gamma was fucked once I noticed no one was going to intervene into the fight. :(
#10  February 25, 2013, 04:17:32 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I know they fit their personalities.  Probably part of the issue, I don't particularly like most of the characters that much.  So....these cheesy theme songs describing them weren't helping all that much for me.

Personally, while the earlier Sonic games were fun, I never really cared for the story (Or at least, the story from Adventure on).  Followed the Archie comics for a while, but once Knuckles started turning green and signaled the end of the world or something I lost interest in that version too.  The fact they used characters there that had no part in the games wasn't real helpful either. (I kept waiting for that game Sonic married Sally, became king, then died protecting Sally & kids from Robotnik like in the comics back then.  Thought it was a sure-in since Sonic Adventure was all about Chaos from the comics)

Haven't played much of anything Sonic since Episode 4 came out.  Which reminds me, I still need to get part II...

Oh, that reminds me, I could never for the life of me figure out how the Chao garden worked in SA1.  You can feed them, give them animals, make sure they never get hit ever, but once I get any Chao's stats in any field to 200, they wilt up and die (And never leave any eggs).  Got tired of wasting time when they just keep dying before they get good enough to finish the high-ranked races, so I can get that last Emblem and finish the game.
Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:25:30 am by Llong Jjohn Killer
#11  February 25, 2013, 04:22:59 am
I played it when I was little and grew way, way too attached to the music for a little while there, Sonic's and Tails' themes especially. I replayed the HD rerelease and it aged pretty well, Big the Cat was less horrendous than I remembered but the physics overall were wackier, and that forest area was less labrynthian :P. One of the best and most memorable games of my later childhood, without a doubt, and still a decent game with the nostalgia goggles off.

Sonic 4: Episode II is surprisingly good, though. It tries very very hard to be Sonic 2 HD, and more or less succeeds.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I never did the Chao stuff or the Emblem-hunting, just got all the upgrades and played it through.
#12  February 25, 2013, 04:23:08 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
I started typing this up before other people posted their opinions, so it's most likely that I'm repeating things that were already said.

Sonic probably handles at his best in SA1. It's fun to spindash and jump right after to get serious distance, which may be of use if you want to skip some of the platforming sections. Although, the light-speed dash tends to break the pace and I prefer just pressing an action button to use it rather than charging it up like in this game. The only boss that challenged me thought was the Egg Viper, and that got easy once I understood his patterns.

I love playing as Tails in SA1, especially with the flight upgrade. It's even easier to get some serious distance with it, and wipe the floor against whoever you're racing. I also love the tail spin attack, and wonder why they never included it in future 3D games. It doesn't break the pace like those ring bombs in future games. If they ever decide to include Tails as a playable character in 3D again, I hope they make him similar to his SA1 version. Like with Sonic though, the bosses were pretty easy, even the last fight.

I mentioned in the other thread that I like the SA1 Knuckles levels more than the SA2 ones due to the radar being able to pick up multiple emerald pieces. Other than that, Knuckles has always handled nicely. I prefer the more simple digging mechanic in SA2 though. A couple of his bosses were pretty challenging at first too.

I actually like Amy in this game. She's not speedy like the original trio, but the hammer attacks work pretty well for me and the super jump is an effective ability for getting through the level faster. The "Whack-a-Sonic" mini-game is great fun too. She also has the most challenging boss IMO.

E-102 is also pretty good. He's pretty fast-paced, and it's great fun just blowing the shit out of enemies in your path and seeing how big a combo you can make. His story is pretty emotional too.

And then there's Big. I like him as a character; the big (hur-hur), laid-back, simple-minded oaf. But... let's just say I'm dreading his story in my current play through. His story is already kinda phoned-in, but I mean...fishing? In a Sonic game? Why SEGA? That just doesn't work, especially as a mandatory part of the story! I still haven't beaten his part, ever.

So I guess I can't discuss my opinion of the Perfect Chaos fight.

Overall, I really enjoy SA1, mostly. Sure, it hasn't aged well in some aspects (the graphics, animations and bugs) and the camera is awful at times. But it still holds a place in my heart as one of my favourite Sonic games. And did I mention its soundtrack is faaaantastic? Mind you, that's always the case with most Sonic games.
Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:34:59 am by JDM
#13  February 25, 2013, 04:24:30 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
posting this here because the last game you played thread has like 3 pages of nonstop Sonic discussion
6: Never felt E102 being SO much better tan Eggman or Tails.
The shooting levels in SA2 felt like an exercise in tedium, IMO, and when they're compared to the E-102 levels of the previous game they come off looking even worse. They're just so boring and slow!

Sonic 3 and Knuckles
yeah I replayed this game again. One of many, truthfully. I still wholeheartedly stand by the fact that this is the best sonic game, not Sonic 2, not Sonic CD, as good as both of those are.
Fuck yes. Sonic 3 & Knuckles <3

The Special Stages here don't feel as cumbersome, or as irritating(see Sonic 2 ughhh.)
Fucking hell yes. And I'm sick of every Sonic game trying to ape the S2 special stages, I want to get blue spheres! >:[

So, SA1? Its better than SA2, the Amy levels were fun to me (in a OH GOD IT'S ZERO FUCK panicky sort of way, like I dunno Clock Tower if you were a pink hedgehog or something), Big was awful and had no business existing anywhere ever, exploration might've been simple but who cares it was awesome, and best of all there was no Shadow or Rouge.
#14  February 25, 2013, 04:36:53 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Sonic was really good for a little while, then it was absolute shit for a REALLY long time, and now it's starting to become okay again.  [/thread]

But really, I was a child of Nintendo, and then Playstation, so I never really had much exposure to the franchise in its prime.  The first Sonic title I ever really had a chance to dig into was Heroes.  I do have a lot of fond memories of that game, but I'm certain it wouldn't hold up if I went back to it now.
#15  February 25, 2013, 04:44:24 am
    • USA
The first Sonic title I ever really had a chance to dig into was Heroes.
You poor, poor soul.  :no:  I'm kidding of course. ;P

In all seriousness though, I wasn't too fond of Sonic Heroes. 
I knew what they were trying to do but the ideas implemented into the game didn't hit home for me. 
Clunky controls, ALOT of bugs, poorly implemented ideas, etc. 
Like most other Sonic games, I think if they reevaluated their ideas more and perfected their crafts, they could've became much better games.

and best of all there was no Shadow or Rouge.
Quoted for the truth.
I still hate the fact that they gave Sonic an evil, generic anime twin.

#16  February 25, 2013, 04:55:43 am
Sonic Heroes was crap. But, unlike other Sonic games that were crap, it wasn't trying too hard to not be crap, so it was sort of okay!

I only rented it a few times, but I remember laughing at it and trolling with Espio.
#17  February 25, 2013, 04:58:26 am
  • Best supporting character in history of anime.
    • USA
    • www.youtube.com/user/aznperson569M
The only thing I actually enjoyed the most out of SA2 were the Chaos since that was addicting, but everything else barring the missions with Tails or Eggman was fine. I will always have memories of Knuckle's Pumpkin Hill though.

uguu
#18  February 25, 2013, 05:04:45 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I still hate the fact that they gave Sonic an evil, generic anime twin.
Shadow is quite literally a terrible Sonic recolor from the dredges of the fan community, except official. I still don't understand why he exists or why people like him.
#19  February 25, 2013, 05:32:39 am
When I was younger I loved the hell out of Shadow, but as the character developed in later games and I got older I began to hate him. Guess he was a product of the era. I wish they would bring back the Sonic-Knuckles rivalry instead.
#20  February 25, 2013, 05:35:51 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
What Cazaki said, Shadow was good in his first game, after that Sonic Team made him into some cocky arrogant prick.
Sonic Heroes was crap. But, unlike other Sonic games that were crap, it wasn't trying too hard to not be crap, so it was sort of okay!

Dude Heroes was the shit man, no over the top story, no dark themes. The game feels very classic sonic to me in terms of levels, it's lighthearted and fun! Controls killed it for some people though, rail grinding can get tense since switching is pretty complicated and can get you killed a lot... also slippery speed characters. :(