Started by [Judas], July 10, 2012, 09:42:15 pm
Re: Judas STUFF
#341  August 03, 2016, 04:01:47 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Large images:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Not exactly the grand return I had hoped for, but I've found time for pixels again. Lately, I've been obsessed with making a spiritual successor to the Psychic Force games. Have a failed sprite experiment on a cheaply edited GGX stage and a rough estimate of a character select screen. Carrying over from that world-within-a-computer aesthetic from that other vague idea of a game I had a while back? It has my interest for now, but I don't know how long it will hold. As always, trying to knock off the rust. Probably going to experiment with a more Dengeki Bunko/UNIEL approach to the sprites. Envisioning something along the lines of Zone of the Enders as a 2D fighter. Technical Touhou? Long range projectile battles and close range melee scraps in a constantly aerial... thing. I don't know. Words. Trying to get back into pixels amid the nonstop bullshit that is the IRL. Rough concepts will have to do for now.
#342  August 03, 2016, 04:06:20 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Hey those look sweet.

My only gripe would be how the black outlines aren't broken like in CvS, but that's just a nitpick. Doesn't detract from the quality/beauty of the pixels shown.
This is a generic forum signature.
#343  August 03, 2016, 04:29:38 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Yeah, I don't care for the outlines as they stand either. Attempting to get away from the CvS style a bit, but I'm not sure where I want to go with it. Leaning heavily in the direction of Dengeki Bunko's somewhat simple, almost completely outline-less style, but at the same time I envision almost Revengeance levels of ridiculous details in the designs. Trying to find time to really experiment here, but- well, I really don't have the free time I wish I did.

A lot of inspiration from Hyper Light Drifter's simplistic style (dem cutscene graphics hnngh), though I'm finding it hard to translate into what right now is basically just 150% CvS lite. Experimenting while trying to regain whatever pixel skill I once had with a touchy tablet? I evidently enjoy suffering.
#344  August 03, 2016, 06:07:05 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
Very nice. Don't let real life keep you away too long!
#345  August 03, 2016, 07:57:41 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Probably going to experiment with a more Dengeki Bunko/UNIEL approach to the sprites.

how are you with 3d modeling/animation packages, particularly animation, particularly blender, it seems the style is heavily base don using those as reference (well, softimage instead of blender, afaik, but blender is mroe west friendly).
#346  August 04, 2016, 05:10:09 am
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
Sup Judas, I wonder what happen to you man. Like what you have here, did you ever get a chance for that Z.O.E concept.
#347  August 04, 2016, 03:59:00 pm
Probably going to experiment with a more Dengeki Bunko/UNIEL approach to the sprites.

how are you with 3d modeling/animation packages, particularly animation, particularly blender, it seems the style is heavily base don using those as reference (well, softimage instead of blender, afaik, but blender is mroe west friendly).

Not sure how far the actual shaders/materials of either have gotten, but 3D Studio Max can recreate a fairly accurate recreation of the style.  I'm sure at least Blender has something similar by now (It used to only have falloff tricks back in my day).
#348  August 09, 2016, 07:22:34 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Mami et Helios: Garbage with 3D, though I may again attempt to change that. All past attempts have ended in frustration and "ehhhhh maybe later."

Big Boss: There are approximately 8000 unfinished things from the last time I was truly active here, and that is one of them. I hate admitting how shitty I've been at finishing things, but man... I've been out of it. That's the best way to put it, I suppose. Looking forward to amending that, but I can't make any promises.

Koop: Real life sucks. That's all.

Erm. Another super early thing I started quite some time ago and just finally worked on again for a minute:

The sprite is, again, an experiement in progress. The background is a quick test of the auto-dither method described here. General idea here was to fuse the MOBA/beatemup genres and essentially make a side-scrolling Guilty Gear 2: Overture. Big on classic beatemup tropes, the plan was to have the enemy base be a destructible car/van/whatever. Doorways would be capturable spawning points for grunts, mid-bosses would be assignable to protect bases, blah blah blah. Bottom displays are to be the stage's mini-map and the home base health bars. Resolution scalable to 720/1080 in engine, I'd imagine.

I'm currently wanting to seriously pursue either this idea or the previously posted spiritual successor to Psychic Force in a semi-professional capacity, possible using GameMaker, but I'm finding it hard to focus on one or the other. Obvious placeholders are obvious. Conversation potentially started? I'unno.
#349  August 09, 2016, 08:22:18 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
@Judas, it's cool I thought to ask you and see if any attempts had happen. Keep up the hard work and wanted to know if, I could steal that concept of yours. Just the part of the characters level of abilities.
#350  August 10, 2016, 03:09:32 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Do you have any other ideas to show us?
#351  October 20, 2017, 07:32:59 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
not a real update, per se? i haven't really dabbled in pixels in quite some time. a few aborted attempts here and there, but nothing of note.

however.

i've not stopped. i've been hustling, trying my damnedest to find my way out of the retail day job grind. life goes on. a whole lot of doodling and a fair amount of painting. i'll post some actual art here at some point, i'm sure. for now, a quick plug for a pair of places i've been semi-active.

https://www.instagram.com/combustocrat/
https://www.twitter.com/combustocrat

basically just putting my name back on the radar? hi.
#352  February 17, 2020, 11:06:35 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
another resurrection. huzzah. recent-ish collection of assorted junk:

for a proposed sonic mania-style remake/sequel to the sega genesis virtua fighter

for my own dumb idea factory, i guess?

Spoiler: some non-pixel work (click to see content)

and some shit no one cares about but me and like two other people on the planet, maybe. large image is large.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

anything resembling fighting game stuff has been minimal, but i'm open to ideas. there's one of those in the works (what!) that i can't really discuss or show yet, as well as a beatemup project that's still in the early design stages. we shall see where those go, i guess.

hi
#353  February 17, 2020, 11:57:27 pm
  • SNK is life
Hi there,

For a game that takes place in the past, that Street Fighter 2010 looks awfully futuristic :wink3:  Great stuff with the logo and font.

Also, those Virtua Fighter Genesis sprites are kinda hard to use. I've had a look at them and maybe just some key poses are usable, but it's better to trace over them and make from scratch.
#354  February 19, 2020, 09:57:19 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
oh, for sure on the vf thing. those are... rough, to say the least. i'd considered using them as size reference and, as you said, keyframe refs. aside from that, best to draw over vf5:fs stuff. ideally, that game's full roster would be fun to do, but man... i don't know if i care THAT much about a genesis demake remake. of course, that grants the opportunity to throw, say, siba from vf1 prototype/megamix and AXEL STONE in as extras? i don't know, man.

i put entirely too much time into the 2010 thing. like- why? who cares?

conversely, a portrait conversion as a test. this took.... 45 minutes? maximum? most of which was playing with colors.

would have taken longer if drawn from scratch and more-or-less traced over a screenshot, but alas. experimentation.

and, of course, that thing from the cvs thread:
#355  February 19, 2020, 06:10:54 pm
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
wow he looks great, I like the outline of his sprite.
#356  February 21, 2020, 01:13:43 am
  • SNK is life
What programs or techniques did you use for that Ryu Portrait? It looks crisp af
#357  February 21, 2020, 03:49:46 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
the usual photoshop index method i like for most things. draw at 400%, shade in grayscale, resize 25% bilinear, force a smaller palette in indexed mode, add color back in with a big ol pencil tool on a multiply layer, steal colors from cvs sprites (usually) and tweak as necessary. the coloring process works easiest for things with a thick outline. minimal cleanup required. highly recommend.
#358  February 21, 2020, 05:49:17 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Nice to see you back!
That ryu port is dope
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#359  February 26, 2020, 01:44:48 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!