YesNoOk

If....there would be a mugen for 3D Fighters... (Read 2111 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, February 02, 2010, 01:52:50 pm
Share this topic:
If....there would be a mugen for 3D Fighters...
#1  February 02, 2010, 01:52:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
What would you expect from it?

Current generation graphics possible or more like ps1, ps2?

would you create stuff for it even if it wouldnt support 3D backgrounds..just 2d ones like in tekken 1-3?

And what would you most likely create for it if possible?

Re: If....there would be a mugen for 3D Fighters...
#2  February 02, 2010, 01:54:34 pm
    • UK
To be honest, I think a 3D mugen just wouldn't work right.

It takes long enough to make a character, making a 3D character though? That would take even longer.

If I were to make something for it, a 3D Sparkster/Axel Gear. Oh yes.
#3  February 02, 2010, 01:59:06 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
To be honest, I think a 3D mugen just wouldn't work right.

It takes long enough to make a character, making a 3D character though? That would take even longer.

ah..come on..we ve seen so many things in the internet and on computers now which we wouldnt have believed some more or less years ago.

3d character making works in many games today already..from those wrestling and boxing games to soul calibur etc.

imagine a mighty character editor with stuff like faces, clothes, moves  etc added to it with every new version + a powerful stage editor and you have the half mugen 3d already.

i believe we just dont have such a programme yet because no dedicated and skiled team of 3d fighting fans started such a project yet :-)
#4  February 02, 2010, 02:21:04 pm
    • UK
i believe we just dont have such a programme yet because no dedicated and skiled team of 3d fighting fans started such a project yet :-)

And making a program to replicate such engine like Mugen in 3D, would be one heck of a task. I would imagine a lot of people would lose patience in doing it.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a 3D Mugen, but if it was poorly executed, I would not be interested at all.
#5  February 02, 2010, 02:49:03 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Having a "creation process" in a game such as Soul Calibur or other boxer games is not hard at all, since it's a closed game, and the developpers have coded all the possibilities. And even though you can customize the models, you can't really customize the gameplay, and what you can change a bit was already coded in the game itself.
Now, if you wanted to add a Son Goku inside Soul Calibur 4, you wouldn't be able to, would you ?

Having the same as Mugen, but in 3D, would be possible, but nobody would be able to do much of it :
- A 3D stage would require modelling using 3DSMax, Maya or Blender, which would take very long.
- People already have a hard time in Mugen to apply a simple palette on sprites and convert them to PCX when building a SFF. What would you think about having to learn how to animate a skeleton from a 3D model you'd have had to create yourself ?

Really, it's just not viable.
#6  February 02, 2010, 02:51:50 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
it would be just like KI, or SF EX, Capoeira Fighter,
fake 3D game, no side step, no BG rotation,
#7  February 02, 2010, 06:58:37 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Maybe it's possible to use the Valve's Source Engine? They provide you with all the development tools, and it's been used to make non-FPS games in the past (ie: platformers). Additionally, Garry's Mod has shown that it's possible to use much simpler coding to add on material.
#8  February 03, 2010, 04:42:09 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
It'd probably be awful. See you couldn't just write some shit and an animation would work. You'd have to move the model through the motions. You'd create an animation reference, and then gradually keyframe your way through it. The program itself would have to convert the points and positions for you (awkward) and each anim would be on the lines of half an hours work, or more.

3D models are actually pretty simple to make, that would be simple. However something you can animate properly with little deformation of the mesh and to a decent quality... yeah, good luck with that.

Stages would need some of the same stuff. You just wouldn't look at delta any more. It'd be the camera moving round, not the BG as it is now.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#9  February 06, 2010, 01:26:55 am
  • An improper mind is a perpetual feast
    • brianjesusdiaz.webs.com
I'm on a 5000 calorie diet! :D