YesNoOk

Mugen Character Funding  (Read 22459 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, November 13, 2013, 09:09:38 am
Share this topic:
Re: Maybe something like a donation pool?
#21  November 13, 2013, 07:01:18 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
middleman elections get #hype
#22  November 13, 2013, 07:05:15 pm
  • SNK is life
So, if I understand this correctly (pardon my ignorance) it's because people weren't happy about BATMAN winning the poll for Sean to sprite.

... but I'd understand this uproar if it was supposed to unanimously be headed somewhere, it doesn't seem like EVERYBODY wanted a Brian Fury.

For JayMohrMann - Felo is still open to be commisioned. If he could start with your immediate needs with 50 USD, maybe you could use that as a downpayment, and rally the fundraiser for the remaining of the requested sprites :deal2:
#23  November 13, 2013, 07:09:04 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I mean it doesn't have to be a revenge tactic. I think this is a good idea regardless of context, it's just that it came about because this happened. Better now then never??

Like I honestly never cared who would win that poll, I just saw this thread and automatically thought, this is is a good idea.
#24  November 13, 2013, 07:14:07 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
So, if I understand this correctly (pardon my ignorance) it's because people weren't happy about BATMAN winning the poll for Sean to sprite.

... but I'd understand this uproar if it was supposed to unanimously be headed somewhere, it doesn't seem like EVERYBODY wanted a Brian Fury.
That's kinda how this came across to me too.  Interested where this goes (for good or for ill).
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:47:10 am by Roman55
#25  November 13, 2013, 07:17:15 pm
  • Wataaaaahhhhh
    • France
I would donate 20 dollars for a Goro Daimon, Ramon or Shermie in a CVS style.
http://mugenguild.com/forum/iron-muscle-bomber.400
Rahhhhhhh, AI is so hard to deal with !!!!
#26  November 13, 2013, 07:27:03 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
@ walt
The thing that Batman instead of Bryan Fury won, was the initial cause why i thought about a donation pool idea, but the main reason for that was that i saw that there were 20 more people beside me who voted for Bryan.

So i started thinking. "Hmm..20 people want a Bryan Fury made for Mugen" "hmm..why can't this not be achieved easily if there are

#1 Talented spriters and coders who are offering their talents for money
#2 People who don't have 50/100/500 bucks to commission one of these artists but could offer a small amount to make these wish characters possible, be they from KOF, never seen in a fighting game or as 2D version or any other fighting game character.
#3 Myself. A guy whose best talent is to bring people together in the internet since many years and is good with organizing.

I can help you and maintain a donation pool (at least one time to see if its effective and for the benefit of everyone involved) but i need a few things and informations.

#1 Your trust. And i bet that is not easy to achieve for me.
#2 A list of Mugen Spriters and coders who are offering their service and for what + under what conditions.
#3. People who can clearly say what they want /expect from a character, so i could give the artist all needed informations and instructions about what is expected.
If someone says as example CVS Mature, does that mean a simple spritesheet, are specific attacks /animations or gameplay features wanted?

If we would just start right now, and JM is serious and FeLo open for a CVS Mature, i am throwing in 15 bucks like mentioned.

I am also offering to be the "middle man" or donation-pool maintainer.

One middle person has the benefit that the wehole thing can be done very transparent, via the forum, and also comfortable for the artist who would get just one payment instead of 20 bucks on day 1, another 10 on day 2 and so on.

If someone else wants to be the middle-man i am fine with that too.
Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:35:26 am by Germanbaraka667
#27  November 13, 2013, 08:09:50 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Well I figured middle man would collect something until a spriter became available, since not every spriter will always be available.
#28  November 13, 2013, 08:27:37 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
I would just like to confirm that I am indeed really tied-up with Z2 chars, and I hardly need the money.
Isn't FeLo already getting a lot of buzz for his CvS Juri? This kind of donation pool would be very good for him,
and indeed it was even already suggested in his commissions thread. Plus, he DOES need the money!
#29  November 13, 2013, 09:38:07 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Man I just realized I would donate a fuckton for a C. Jack in cvs style
#30  November 14, 2013, 12:02:59 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Well I figured middle man would collect something until a spriter became available, since not every spriter will always be available.

Thats the plan.

Once a needed amount of money is together, the artist would be contacted, the deal done, the money transfers would be made transparent via this or another forum thread.

It can start right now as a tryout , thats up to you.
Get money together and i will do my part to make good use of it + add 15 euro to the first character who gets the support of multiple donators.

..nuff for now..its time for a nap.
Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:35:38 am by Germanbaraka667
Re: Mugen Character Funding
#31  November 14, 2013, 12:23:55 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
yall do realize that sean is like RIGHT there? You dont need no middle man, just set it up with him and send him the money directly , him or whoever else is going to be your selected spriter.
#32  November 14, 2013, 12:30:58 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
which character is gonna be created and who is gonna be the spriter ? te coder is very likely ot emerge by itself, but those first two questions need to be answered someway. maybe ask the spriters around to see if which oens are free, in this case  I think we can assume that both felo and sean are kinda free, so it's only necessary to confirm with them.
so the biggest question is to decide which character, since you want to gather donations an idea would be to make some kind of poll but have a requisite that the people who vote are willing to donate.
I would donate 20 dollars for a Goro Daimon, Ramon or Shermie in a CVS style.

something like this because forum polls don't allow enough control.
#33  November 14, 2013, 12:44:23 am
Sounds complicated... I like the system we have now.
And Bryan wasn't even the best Tekken choice anyway. Now if it was Lei Wulong, I'd be more inclined to agree.
#34  November 14, 2013, 12:47:07 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Nope, no polls because yup like you mentioned, nobody can control who is voting, except its done via a forum post.

Solving the character question can be easy.

There are three people here including me who mentioned they would donate some bucks to whichever character gets done for the sake of new content by talented mugen creators.

There is JM who mentioned he would donate 25-50 bucks for s CVS Mature as example
His + the amount of funding for whatever character could be around 100 bucks already.

Than there is the possibility that mfgler A wants to donate 20 dollars but is not a fan of Mature.

In that case he could mention which character he wants + by who and what amount of money he would donate. The middleman/ crowdfunding manager could add that to the first post to form a list of what characters people want and how many they want to donate.
If other people read that and mention they want to donate something for that character as well, that info could be added. If the virtual crowdfunding amount reaches - as example 100 or 200 dollars the middleman could try to get the whole amount needed to make character XY together and see if the wanted artists are available. After thats done, the interested people could send either the middleman the amount of money or directly to the artist.

Through a middleman it means a bit less work for the artists, and he can provide transparency and show who donated what via one post in the thread

Thats more or less how i did it many years ago with ps1 games and recently and currently with art commissions and contests on dA.

@Niltris - what system?

Bea

#35  November 14, 2013, 01:13:10 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I would rather put my money towards spriting original characters or comic/cartoon/movie characters that were never ported to sprite form and would be interesting to play with.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#36  November 14, 2013, 01:23:23 am
the need for a middleman is up to the spriter (in this case seanaltly since several people had a huge boner about him doing bryan fury sprites) to decide
#37  November 14, 2013, 01:29:23 am
Sorry I didn't read it right (I've been pretty clumsy with text lately). :dizzy2:

Get people to throw their money into a pot and whomever decides to do the spriting would get the reward. Basically it would be like character bounties or something like that... pretty good idea.
#38  November 14, 2013, 01:32:59 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
thing is everyone contributing needs to agree on a single char to be made.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#39  November 14, 2013, 01:37:15 am
the poll is a good sample of what people would like to see sprited. there's probably enough interest to see spritesets for bryan, spike and link
#40  November 14, 2013, 01:39:02 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Bryan seems to have a lot of demand for whatever reason