Share this topic:
Books
#1  September 06, 2004, 07:17:29 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Discuss.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Re: Books
#2  September 06, 2004, 07:29:48 pm
  • GFX Phantasia.
Yeah, books are cool. As a writer I enjoy a good read. Also, what exactly should we be discussing about books?

I'm thinking about whether or not to toss this into the Junk Section.
#3  September 06, 2004, 07:44:47 pm
  • SNK is life
I can't read :(

I find really hard to find a good book interesting enough to catch my attention, it's sad
#4  September 06, 2004, 07:49:21 pm
  • GFX Phantasia.
I can't read :(
Don't tell us your problems. :P

I find really hard to find a good book interesting enough to catch my attention, it's sad
You're probably not looking in the right places. What's your favorite gnre of reading material?
#5  September 06, 2004, 07:55:28 pm
  • SNK is life
mmhh... definitely not fiction.
Good fiction books are rather difficult to find, since sometimes the writting style is not very captivating or trying to create a whole universe leads to loopholes or poorly developed plots.

I'm more into realistic stories, Thrillers.

I really really enjoyed The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown ...
I kinda enjoyed The unbearable lightness of Bieng by Milan Kundera ...
I was really captivated by the indeference of The Stranger by Albert Camus ...

I dunno, I guess I'm more into well developed characters ... I guess I haven't read enough :(
#6  September 06, 2004, 07:57:42 pm
  • GFX Phantasia.
I kinda enjoyed The unbearable lightness of Bieng by Milan Kundera ...
I was really captivated by the indeference of The Stranger by Albert Camus ...
It's a good thing you can't read. :P
#7  September 06, 2004, 08:00:05 pm
  • SNK is life
??? .... >:( ... ???
#8  September 06, 2004, 08:01:13 pm
  • GFX Phantasia.
#9  September 06, 2004, 08:03:12 pm
  • SNK is life
it's more like ... I don't want to

About 4 months ago I stated that:
Writting + Walt = :no:

I sure have changed ... :inquisitive:

Enough about me

Back to Discussing Books
#10  September 06, 2004, 09:21:11 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
We are already discussing. o_o

Everything books, I guess. What you're reading, what you've read, what you like, why, all-time favorites and recommendations, what you're looking forward to, whatever you want to. Kinda like the Movies topic turned out, with less expected participation (all the more reason for not limitating discussion).

A writer; coolness. How serious?

Her husband immediately turned to his wife and slammed his foot on the throttle, throwing his wife back into the back seat, but his attempt at escape was futile.

Just been reading the prologue from your sig and that sentence above really threw me off. ^_^

walt:

"Fiction" gernerally encompasses a bit more than Science Fiction or Fantasy. Most stories are "fiction." As "non-fiction" are considered biographies, cook books and the like.

Anyhow, I know what you meant. I have spent the longest time reading "unrealistic" books, with not only uncommon SF-ish surroundings etc, but also rather unbelievable, 2 dimensional characters. Until I stumbled upon books which had SF-ish stuff and (omg) characters that were driven, believable, "realistic" and reacted like "real" people, etc. Just keep looking. The Da Vinci Code I'd probably find "stupid", "unrealistic" and what not. Don't plan on reading it however, so that's mere speculation based on brief comments by others. Probably would have digged it two years ago. o_O The Illuminatus! trilogy are still my favorite conspiracy books. They're also the only ones I read you can easily classify as conspiracy novels . . . well, whatever.

Recently finished The Stars My Destination aka Tiger! Tiger!. Captial letters wow. Readable, relentless and increasingly stunning as it progresses. ._.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
The Stars my Destination.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
#11  September 06, 2004, 09:24:08 pm
  • GFX Phantasia.
Just been reading the prologue from your sig and that sentence above really threw me off.
Thanks for pointing that out. That's worded soooooooo wrong.
#12  September 06, 2004, 09:31:40 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Books are nice when you..uh..that thing.

You know, bulding towers..and setting them on fire.
#13  September 06, 2004, 09:42:15 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Voltaire said:
"You despise books; you whose lives are absorbed in the vanities of ambition, the pursuit of pleasure or indolence; but remember that all the known world, excepting only savage nations, is governed by books."

Hmm, whatever. Savage nations, haha. You might try Jurassic Park, walt. You can basically forget everything else Crichton, but that one is actually worth reading and vastly superior to its Hollywood counterpart. [Edit: In my not always humble opinion, that is.]

But we have soothed ourselves into imagining sudden change as something that happens outside the normal order of things. An accident, like a car crash. Or beyond our control, like a fatal illness. We do not conceive of sudden, irrational change as built into the very fabric of existence. Yet it is. And chaos theory teaches us . . . that straight linearity, which we have come to take for granted in everything from physics to fiction, simply does not exist. . . .

Life is actually a series of encounters in which one event may change those that follow in a wholly unpredictable, even devastating way. . . .

That’s a deep truth about the structure of our universe. But, for some reason, we insist on behaving as if it were not true.
--R. Scott Bakker
#14  September 06, 2004, 09:43:57 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
I'm currently reading "The haunting of hill house" by Shirley Jackson. It's a classic horror novel written in 1959, and has been the inspiration of hundreds of other horror books/movies.

The last books I read were "The dispossessed" by Ursula K. Le Guin, "Lost Boy Lost Girl" by Peter Straub, and "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King.

Sci-Fi fans should check at least the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, they are a must read.

@Sepp: I should add that Crichton's novels have been a bit overhyped and most of his works, although being average, aren't that "good". I didn't enjoy Jurassic Park personally (I was really biased from the movie, which I hated) and certainly the book was far better than the movie, but as I said, I didn't enjoy it. I've been told that "Lost world" is by far better than JP, but I have to find that out.

I personally prefer "Sphere", "The Andromeda Strain" (excellent) and "Prey".

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#15  September 07, 2004, 01:20:14 am
  • GFX Phantasia.
Sphere was a proper book.
#16  September 08, 2004, 02:26:53 am
  • Kyosuke + Ky Kiske = Kensuke?
*likes Ragnarok*  ;D
~Ultimate Kensuke of the True Lightning~

Real Bout High School Battle

Coming.....soon....
#17  September 13, 2004, 02:38:39 am
  • GROSSE PUTE
discworld.
#18  September 16, 2004, 01:25:29 am
  • Chicks dig me. (SDS Overfiend is the Gamertag)
    • wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html
excellent fucking book by the way.you can learn a lot of points of view in that book.

but i the last book i read was "never die alone" and "Dopefiend" by donald goines. before those was
"the giver" and "B more Careful"

but i think everyone should read "Never die alone" and "Dopefiend"
i swear, Stupid muthafokkers exist all over this board!
Nonetheless Dickriders get all of the Attention!
Go Figure.
--------------
Yes online Gaming is important........ Who Else are you gonna practice on?
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/star.html

Beta Kagetsura can still be found here.
http://wrestlingarena2.free.fr/Kagetsura.rar
#19  September 16, 2004, 05:03:57 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Unfortunately, since I got into college and started working as an english teacher at my school I don't have that much time to read. Getting a g/f didn't help, either... :P

Most of the stuff I read nowadays is referred to my career, thus being psychology (from Freud's famous texts to Kurt Danziger's latests comments on traditions on History on Psychology) all I am reading about.

Still, I am deeply amazed by the lack of classics mentioned here. From Homer (read "The Odyssey" first, others later) to Dante's Divine Comedy, including some of the modern classics, like most of Lovecraft and Poe's work in the "horror" section (Stephen King sucks!) and Leon Tolstoi's Anna Karenina, all are authors you can't not know and hope to become a writer, or even a decent reader.  ;D

My all time fav, though, is a small yellow covered one from "Robin Hood" collection titled: "Knights of the round table"

this has got all the magic of Tolkien's books (but exalting knighthood and honor), parts of deep horror (many ppl get amazed when they find out Merlin is actually half-demon!), great epic characters and small human tales.

On the other hand, I deeply enjoyed reading some of Plato's comments on Socrates (and some of Plato's own work, too), part of Aristoteles' work, the Tau, Sun Tzu's art of war and many other works on philosophy.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#20  September 16, 2004, 05:22:10 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
I might have enjoyed the Oddyssey if my teacher didn't make it a living nightmare :P

Of Mice and Men is a good read, you kinda feel sorry for Larry but then you go HA just kidding I don't give a crap about you!